SSDS - Stupid and Selfish Dealership Stories (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
coachglenndavis.com
After reading lots of posts about replacing many components, the one constant theme I encountered is how dealerships can be stupid or selfish or both. We've all encountered them. I though it might be a good relief to have a place to share them. Maybe this thread will gain some traction or maybe it won't. So I'll take a bit of a risk and share one.

Last year I took my '08 to a Toyota stealership for the seat-belt recall. After I pulled my rig into the service bay, a guy in a suit quickly walked around my rig and looked at the tires then came to me.

Over-dressed service guy: "Did you know we sell tires and service them? I'll give you a great quote right now for Toyota tires and have them on in less than an hour."
Me: "Discount Tire put on those tires 6 months ago." (Only 3,000 miles earlier).

Over-dressed service guy: "Did you know we can do air filters and cabin filters? I can have both of these changed in minutes including fluids."
Me: "Please don't touch any fluids or filters. I do all of it myself. If you damage the cabin filter housing, it's a $700 repair bill."

Over-dressed service guy: "I wasn't aware of the cabin filter housing. What else can we do for you today?"
Me: "Nothing."

Over-dressed service guy quickly goes to next customer: "Did you know we sell tires and service them? I'll give you a great quote right now.... " :clap:

Last edited:
Wow. I have worked in Ford dealership parts departments for over 30 years. I've never seen that before. A salesman to upsell service. Interesting. I have seen sales department set up a desk near the service drive to talk to customers that are in for service. You'd be surprised how many sales that generated because people dont have the money to fix their car so they'll gladly go into more debt for a new one!

"how Toyota dealerships can be stupid or selfish or both."

Not 200 related but Toyota dealership related. About 4 years or so ago I bought in my 2011 Sienna for a sliding door recall. When I went to pick it up the service manager brought me in service bay to show me why it wasn't ready. The entire dash was in pieces because a bunch of wiring needed to be replaced. Ok, sounds reasonable. I go pick it up the next the day, doors are fine, Stereo head unit not working. (2 little kids at the time, DCD player was crucial) I drove back to the service bay where the service manager proceeded to try to tell me it was a HUGE coincidence that my stereo stopped working right after they tore my entire dashboard apart.

Two weeks of arguing with the service manager, dealership manager and every other manager and I finally got them to install a rebuilt unit for nothing. I had to fight because the after market solutions are almost non-existent for Toyota systems (with rear DVD) because it's proprietary tech. Dumb.

And yes, every single time I went there (because my ex. bought a bunch of prepaid oil changes) they tried to sell me tires LOL

I have $100 credit at my dealer cause the last time I took it in for an oil change they did not fill the tires. How did I know? The bitch lights were on after the temps dropped for the winter. Normally I just fill them myself but was lazy and figured the dealer would do it. After complaining, they admitted they did not fill them. They checked the camera recordings. But I got a big ole song and dance about compressor problems that were not related. That pissed me of even more. It was the second time they pooched filling tires.

My local toyota foreman is skum of the earth and an idiot! I am surprise how he gets to work! There are so many clowns at stealerships! However, if your stupid ththey will take advantage of you!
In addition, parts department are worthless idiots too!
****in morons!
Toyota of Huntingtin Beach

This thread helps support my decision to buy an LX over a cruiser, LOL.

While your CS experience with your assigned service advisor will likely be more professional at the Lexus dealer, they are still there to up sell you on services every single time you set foot in the service department. The free loaners are nice but the even pricier service costs are not. Sadly dealership experiences are all over the place and if you find a good one that you like and does a competent job I suggest you stick with them.

When I was in the processing of buying our '08 which was located in a different state, I asked the sales guy to see if all the Toyota VIN stickers were on the hood, doors, trunk. He said, "What are VIN stickers and why would they be on the doors?" After I explained it he said he would look and call me back. When he called me back he said the VIN in the dash area matches what they have on the title.

I said I'm going to work with another sales person. He threw a big fit over the phone, I told him it's not my job to explain to him what are Toyota VIN stickers and if I have to explain it again, then he's not qualified to help us in buying it. He threw another fit on the phone. I politely said due to the fact the vehicle had been on their lot for over 90 days and because we're coming in from out-of-state, that he should do whatever it took to answer our questions.

He said, "So are going to buy the land cruiser if I take a picture of all the VIN stickers?" I told him bye and called the sales manager who gave us a different sales guy. That guy was incredibly helpful.

Last spring we decided that our next vehicle would be a 200 and started searching for candidates. Finding limited inventory and dealers not willing to sell any lower than MSRP in Colorado I widened my search to nation wide. I found several 2020’s for less than MSRP and then came across a new but prior year 2019 at a dealer in New Hamshire for about $1k less than any other new 200’s. I figured who cares if it’s a 2019 or 2020 it’s new and a good deal so I gave them a call. I talked to the salesman and explained the situation, that I would be shipping the car to Colorado, and offered to pay them the full price they had it advertised at (on their website and on cars.com etc) and gave them a deposit to hold the vehicle while we did all the paperwork. I went home that night excited about the new 200 we were buying and started contacting transporters to get it shipped.

The next morning driving into the office I got a call from the salesman, he started the call with, hey I hate to have to call with news like this...but the owner of the dealership has decided that since you aren’t local and we won’t get to make any money on any service we have to raise the price of the vehicle by $2k. I responded with if you are sure you want to do this then deal is off and refund my deposit.

They screwed up selling a $80k prior model year car over $2k, I hope it is still sitting on their lot. Toyota of Portsmouth :moon:

Last spring we decided that our next vehicle would be a 200 and started searching for candidates. Finding limited inventory and dealers not willing to sell any lower than MSRP in Colorado I widened my search to nation wide. I found several 2020’s for less than MSRP and then came across a new but prior year 2019 at a dealer in New Hamshire for about $1k less than any other new 200’s. I figured who cares if it’s a 2019 or 2020 it’s new and a good deal so I gave them a call. I talked to the salesman and explained the situation, that I would be shipping the car to Colorado, and offered to pay them the full price they had it advertised at (on their website and on cars.com etc) and gave them a deposit to hold the vehicle while we did all the paperwork. I went home that night excited about the new 200 we were buying and started contacting transporters to get it shipped.

The next morning driving into the office I got a call from the salesman, he started the call with, hey I hate to have to call with news like this...but the owner of the dealership has decided that since you aren’t local and we won’t get to make any money on any service we have to raise the price of the vehicle by $2k. I responded with if you are sure you want to do this then deal is off and refund my deposit.

They screwed up selling a $80k prior model year car over $2k, I hope it is still sitting on their lot. Toyota of Portsmouth :moon:

We experienced something similar back in 2018 prior to purchasing our LX570. It was over $800 that they originally were ok with. I called the deal off, they called three days later agreeing to the original terms and I told them to take a hike lol.

My experiences aren't nearly as bad as some of these--just condescending employees. I had pretty good relationship with dealerships in 3 places I used to live, but once I moved to the Dallas-Ft Worth metroplex it seems like all I've found are duds. I typically took my 4Runner to get serviced at a local Toyota 4x4 shop so the dealer doesn't have my extensive maintenance history, but I needed a quick oil change in a pinch so I took it to them. SA comes back after it was done with their list of other recommended maintenance which was quite extensive, and understandable given they don't have a full history. However, he hands me a stack of probably 20-30 papers all while stressing how important it is to take care of this preventative maintenance. The first page or two was clearly the work he mentioned and the second I flip to page 3 I get an accusatory, "What are you doing?" Well jeez you hand me a mound of paperwork I want to see what it all says. Proceeds to tell me it's my vehicles service history and not important, but the work definitely is critical. I'm talking service history 10 years back to it's original owner in a different state who purchased it. Why even bother printing it off and then giving me attitude for wanting to know what you handed me?

Second was when I was actually shopping for the 200 a few months back. Went to the closest dealership to me because their website showed 6 or 7 200's in stock so I had to believe they'd have at least one on the lot. I knew I wanted one, but I had never sat in one before or been behind the wheel so I didn't really *know* that I wanted one. I don't care how much of a history and reputation a vehicle has, I can't fathom spending $90K plus on something and not even knowing how it drives, what visibility is like, handling, blind spots, etc--basically all the stuff you can't research online.

It was a lot to type up, but basically they wanted to negotiate numbers, have me sign a commitment, and talk funding before we could even go on a drive. After some back and forth and waiting about 15 minutes we finally go. I tell them specifically what I wanted and they want my wife and I to come back the following day for a follow up. I decline due to COVID, but reiterated that I was happy to get on a call or always reachable by e-mail. My goal would be to not come back to the dealership until we needed to sign the dotted line. It was a pretty piss poor experience, but I knew they were getting harder to find, so I still followed up not even an hour I left the dealership with an e-mail to my sales advisor and the sales manager I spoke with. Again told them specifically what I was looking for, again assured them of my intention to purchase so long as we found exactly what I wanted. That was over two months ago and I've still never gotten any sort of e-mail back. You'd think being interested in the most expensive vehicle Toyota offers would warrant some sort of response, but apparently not.

Got a recommendation and connected to the GM of another dealership local to me who found me an allocation within 3 days. Great communication and updates throughout, never made me come in for anything, has been willing to communicate by e-mail, text, or phone call--totally painless process. It's due at port on the 24th :)

I do all deals via phone or text before I ever go in for finance these days, if they aren't ok with it then I don't buy, it's that simple.

It was a lot to type up, but basically they wanted to negotiate numbers, have me sign a commitment, and talk funding before we could even go on a drive. After some back and forth and waiting about 15 minutes we finally go. I tell them specifically what I wanted and they want my wife and I to come back the following day for a follow up. I decline due to COVID, but reiterated that I was happy to get on a call or always reachable by e-mail. My goal would be to not come back to the dealership until we needed to sign the dotted line. It was a pretty piss poor experience, but I knew they were getting harder to find, so I still followed up not even an hour I left the dealership with an e-mail to my sales advisor and the sales manager I spoke with. Again told them specifically what I was looking for, again assured them of my intention to purchase so long as we found exactly what I wanted. That was over two months ago and I've still never gotten any sort of e-mail back. You'd think being interested in the most expensive vehicle Toyota offers would warrant some sort of response, but apparently not.
I worked as a sales guy at a high-volume Nissan dealership in a galaxy long, long, long time ago. I know some of the tricks. I know the psychology behind sales. So what they did was working up until they didn't follow through with you. It's common. They probably thought that with all of your positive communication that you weren't a real buyer and simply ignored you. The reality is if they would have made the rightful follow-up sales call then both sides would've been happy by the weekend. It shows pure laziness and arrogance on their part. There are some good people in dealership sales departments. Hard to find, but they are there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom