squeaky wheel (steering) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have noticed since it has gotten cold that my new (96,000 97 FZJ80) truck makes a strange squeaking/rubbing sound that seems to be coming from the steering column. It happens when turning hard from a stop, like when you back out of a parking space and then as you bring the whell back towards straight - this soft nonabrasive rubbing or squeaking sound happens. Almost sounds like plastic on plastic.
I took it to our ranch yesterday and drove all over the rocky roads and it was great, neverheard the sound once. Then leaving for church this morning it was there again.

Any ideas?

thanks

Jay

[quote author=doctorJ link=board=2;threadid=9068;start=msg78769#msg78769 date=1072051171]
I have noticed since it has gotten cold that my new (96,000 97 FZJ80) truck makes a strange squeaking/rubbing sound that seems to be coming from the steering column. It happens when turning hard from a stop, like when you back out of a parking space and then as you bring the whell back towards straight - this soft nonabrasive rubbing or squeaking sound happens. Almost sounds like plastic on plastic.
I took it to our ranch yesterday and drove all over the rocky roads and it was great, neverheard the sound once. Then leaving for church this morning it was there again.

Any ideas?

thanks

Jay
[/quote]

Don't go back to church and just hang out at the ranch. :whoops:

Just live with it as it is a cold weather Toyota problem that most of use have to live with. You will get use to it and all the other common little quriks that the 80 has.
Not worth fixin.

Correct..............

The clockspring is probably the source of the noise. It it not a user-servicable component.

It is possible that a new clockspring will eliminate the noise. DO NOT ATTEMPT REPLACEMENT OF THE CLOCKSPRING UNLESS YOU ARE FAMILAR WITH THIS TYPE OF REPAIR ON AN AIRBG EQUIPPED VEHICLE.

I DO NOT want to hear about how you got smeared all over the inside of the windshield.......... :flipoff2:

Hey, I'm on vacation and STILL feel compelled to correct you guys Heh.....

I'll bet one full boat Taco Bell burrito that it's merely the same thing that my 80 does every few years. There's a metal contact that slides along a ring to maintain electrical power to the horn while you're turning that goes dry once every few years when it's cold. Takes about the same time to type the fix as to do it.

Get some spray lube of your choice with the litte red hose for precise placement. Tilt the steering wheel all the way down, and put the blinker lever up as though for a right turn. Stand there with a very bright light and the driver's door open and look in the hole where the blinker stalk enters the steering column. Toward the rear of your ability to see in there, you'll see a yellow metal (copper or brass - NOT painted yellow) column and if you REALLY mash your face in there and have a small bright light you'll also see part of the ring it presses against. Fire some lube at the ring, then turn the wheel a bit back and forth. Case closed. If this is it, you owe me a burrito....

DougM (vacationing in balmy SW Michigan if anyone else is around)

I've the same cold induced sound the last two winters on a non-Airbaged 1993.

Thanks for the Major warning Cdan! I was in the Emergancy room Saturday night seeing the effects of airbags on the human face - not pretty (but better than a steering wheel or the windsheild!)

And for the burrito bet and idea for a quick fix IdahoDoug - I'll try it Christmas Eve.

Jay

Jay ,

When I did my American ACLS last year , one of the instructors turned out to be one of North Americas foremost experts on airbag safety . He's been on the cover of Time Magazine I believe ... If you ever need someone like that for a seminar etc , drop me a line and I'll hook you up .

:cheers: ,

Tyler

Hey thanks, I'm actually a pediatrician, and I tell everyone that their kids should bein the BACK seat to avoid the bags!

Merry Christmas :D

One out of two ain't bad -- in fact, that'd earn the Hall of Fame as a batting average :D.

The shot of lube under the turn signal stalk didn't help the rub/squeek. Taco Bell and Hey Ho Idaho's cholesterol count are safe ;) .

But a sharp slap of the open hand on the dash just above the instruments did bring the previously defunct D-rive light back to life :D !

Now I'll have to correct my sig :cheers:

LT
8)

>> But a sharp slap of the open hand on the dash just above the instruments <<
>> did bring the previously defunct D-rive light back to life <<

You're welcome. :D

-B-

Doug,

On 95-up the clockspring has the horn contact contained within it. There is no plate and plunger like you and I have in our steering wheels.

It is not a lubricated part.

D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom