SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ll join the minority and say that after taking off any rough or shattered edges that the tiny bit of missing tooth wouldn’t be an issue.
As for the pit in the edge of the ring, is that a sealing surface? If not probably meh.
Full disclosure- I had just differentials do my gear install, so my opinion isn’t even worth a penny here.
Thanks, I think ultimately, I dont plan to do the work, so maybe I’ll take it to them and get their opinion, obviously they may just not be willing to even install it. My first attempt will be to see how difficult it is to get any “satisfaction” from FedEx/Impex. I’d probably rather have a used ring gear out of a 100 than a new one with a big chip in it.

Does anyone have the LC200 OEM running boards parts numbers? My dealership refuses to order the parts because they state the system does not say they fit the Heritage model. Thanks
The steps, brackets, and plastic ends are all separate part numbers.

I recommend posting in your local club section forsale/wanted thread.. lots of people install sliders and have their steps sitting around afterward. That would save you a ton of money.

Alternately at the dealer you can just say you understand they don't have to guarantee the fit, but you still want them. Even put it in writing. Maybe talk to a manager and say you are trying to give them money. If they refuse then, they are just lazy and don't want to do the work of looking up the multiple numbers.

They absolutely will fit. Your bolt holes and threaded inserts will be there, probably covered by tape.

If none of that works and you still want to order all the parts I can get you a screenshot of the part numbers.. just let me know.

Thanks, I think ultimately, I dont plan to do the work, so maybe I’ll take it to them and get their opinion, obviously they may just not be willing to even install it. My first attempt will be to see how difficult it is to get any “satisfaction” from FedEx/Impex. I’d probably rather have a used ring gear out of a 100 than a new one with a big chip in it.

There are other places on those gears that can sustain damage and I wouldn't be worried. That's not exactly in the middle of a drive face, but its also not completely out of the danger area.

The issue is if it goes bad, it probably won't be right away.. but if/when it does, it'll be a huge pain in the ass to rebuild everything, expensive requiring new gears and bearings (and probably locker if that was in your plan). Whereas you can just wait for good gears and avoid the risk altogether.

There are other places on those gears that can sustain damage and I wouldn't be worried. That's not exactly in the middle of a drive face, but its also not completely out of the danger area.

The issue is if it goes bad, it probably won't be right away.. but if/when it does, it'll be a huge pain in the ass to rebuild everything, expensive requiring new gears and bearings (and probably locker if that was in your plan). Whereas you can just wait for good gears and avoid the risk altogether.
Luckily I’m not in a major hurry. I’ve had an Eaton Elocker on the shelf for a while and recently got a rec on a good shop to do the work in my area, so started the ball rolling again on this project.

I recommend posting in your local club section forsale/wanted thread.. lots of people install sliders and have their steps sitting around afterward. That would save you a ton of money.

Alternately at the dealer you can just say you understand they don't have to guarantee the fit, but you still want them. Even put it in writing. Maybe talk to a manager and say you are trying to give them money. If they refuse then, they are just lazy and don't want to do the work of looking up the multiple numbers.

They absolutely will fit. Your bolt holes and threaded inserts will be there, probably covered by tape.

If none of that works and you still want to order all the parts I can get you a screenshot of the part numbers.. just let me know.

A screenshot would be very much appreciated. I’m in MN which is Jeep and full size domestic truck territory so I’ve had no luck sourcing used boards locally. Unfortunately, my dealer would rather focus on Camry oil changes than spend some time helping me out despite showing pics and offering to pay up front.

A screenshot would be very much appreciated. I’m in MN which is Jeep and full size domestic truck territory so I’ve had no luck sourcing used boards locally. Unfortunately, my dealer would rather focus on Camry oil changes than spend some time helping me out despite showing pics and offering to pay up front.
have you considered the ARB side steps? More heavy duty than the OEM, but less so than most aftermarket sliders. Probably cheaper than what it will cost to piece together an OEM set.

I’ll join the minority and say that after taking off any rough or shattered edges that the tiny bit of missing tooth wouldn’t be an issue.
As for the pit in the edge of the ring, is that a sealing surface? If not probably meh.
Full disclosure- I had just differentials do my gear install, so my opinion isn’t even worth a penny here.
I would be seriously worried that there's damage you can't immediately see. If there are chips in the ring, it's possible there are micro stress fractures in other areas that aren't showing yet but which some heat cycling may turn up... like when you drop a glass on your counter and it doesn't shatter, but then you pull it from your dishwasher a few days later and it's got a big crack in it.

Also while the damage looks like it's towards the edge, keep in mind even if the gears are "perfectly set" dead center of the teeth the pinion will slide up and down the ring slightly as you lay into the gas or come off it. I wouldn't expect the pinion to move that far down the ring but it could happen, and if it sheds any additional material you're going to have a diff ready to grenade on you.

Maybe another way to put this... however much better you think Toyota gears are over Nitro or Yukon or other aftermarket ones, I believe a new $500 aftermarket gear set from Nitro is going to be stronger and more reliable than this used and now damaged Toyota gear set. If your package was insured file a FedEx claim and also contact the seller. Otherwise I think the FedEx limit is $100, which is worth claiming but probably not going to cover the full price you spent.

I would be seriously worried that there's damage you can't immediately see. If there are chips in the ring, it's possible there are micro stress fractures in other areas that aren't showing yet but which some heat cycling may turn up... like when you drop a glass on your counter and it doesn't shatter, but then you pull it from your dishwasher a few days later and it's got a big crack in it.

Also while the damage looks like it's towards the edge, keep in mind even if the gears are "perfectly set" dead center of the teeth the pinion will slide up and down the ring slightly as you lay into the gas or come off it. I wouldn't expect the pinion to move that far down the ring but it could happen, and if it sheds any additional material you're going to have a diff ready to grenade on you.

Maybe another way to put this... however much better you think Toyota gears are over Nitro or Yukon or other aftermarket ones, I believe a new $500 aftermarket gear set from Nitro is going to be stronger and more reliable than this used and now damaged Toyota gear set. If your package was insured file a FedEx claim and also contact the seller. Otherwise I think the FedEx limit is $100, which is worth claiming but probably not going to cover the full price you spent.
To be clear, this was a brand new gear kit from Toyota. Impex has responded and asked for more pictures. We will see what happens.
IMG_7302.jpeg

I’ll send a PM with it today.

To be clear, this was a brand new gear kit from Toyota. Impex has responded and asked for more pictures. We will see what happens.View attachment 3586013
Fair enough

Even still, I personally would be less comfortable running these damaged gears than a pristine set of Nitro gears.

Hopefully they sort it out with Fedex and Toyota and get you a new set. With that kind of damage it seems like the pinion wasn't packed very well by Toyota, though I can imagine a 6' drop would be pretty nasty regardless and really requires significant protection.

Fair enough

Even still, I personally would be less comfortable running these damaged gears than a pristine set of Nitro gears.

Hopefully they sort it out with Fedex and Toyota and get you a new set. With that kind of damage it seems like the pinion wasn't packed very well by Toyota, though I can imagine a 6' drop would be pretty nasty regardless and really requires significant protection.
I agree with everything you’ve said. Hopefully I can get a new undamaged kit. And yes, I think Toyota could include more packaging to secure the pinion. If things in the box didn’t move around, there’d be a much better chance of survival.

Toyota's packaging is usually geared (see what I did there?) more toward movement within toyota's parts system than what UPS/Fedex does. What they put our radiators in is a good example of this.

So no real surprise. The issue is Impex should know that and beef things up..

Unfortunately, my dealer would rather focus on Camry oil changes than spend some time helping me out despite showing pics and offering to pay up front.
Wow, that's unfortunate that your dealer isn't helping. My dealer (Ed Martin Toyota in Indianapolis) gave me a set free for my Heritage. They did aftermarket bumpers, so had several laying around.

If someone here on MUD had some they didn't want, it might be cheaper to ship theirs than order new.

Great thread idea...

I've searched mud and google, and forgot to check before I left this morning....does anyone know the height of the heritage with the rack installed. Picture of my parking garage @ work behind. 8'2" clearance....

IMG_4373.jpeg

Great thread idea...

I've searched mud and google, and forgot to check before I left this morning....does anyone know the height of the heritage with the rack installed. Picture of my parking garage @ work behind. 8'2" clearance....

View attachment 3586893

Stock tires and stock ride-height is ~83 inches.

Great thread idea...

View attachment 3586893
Here’s a thread with a video and a number of measurements, including the LC you have.

This is kind of a hypothetical but I’m working on a project where the answer will help me a bit. So I would appreciate any input to help me learn.

If a run two wires back from my battery to my cargo area (one for positive and one for negative) and connect these to a DC-DC converter to increase the voltage to 24V.
30 amps will be going into the converter and 15 will be going out as the voltage is doubled.

When I’m considering the gauge of the wire from and to the battery, I know the blue sea systems wire chart is meant to consider the full length of the circuit (out and back), but could I make the negative wire going back to the battery smaller gauge since in will be only half of the amperage at that point?

And yes, I fear this question highlights a complete misunderstanding of the way electricity works….

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom