SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (20 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

around 5-50 ftlb? Not sure what are the common ranges. I have 20-100 mechanical ftlb one;
price wise, <$200, not shooting for professional grade (but I don't mind suggestions for my knowledge)
A little discouraging that the wrenches I like so much don’t seem to be available anymore..

I’d just look for a 20-200 inch-lbf wrench. Then eventually get a 15-85 or 100ft-lbf. To be really effective with a 200 you probably also need a 75-250 for some of the front suspension stuff.

It sucks but doing all this work requires the proper tools. I think between my cars and bikes I’m up to five torque wrenches at this point..

Last edited:
Yep, I'm up to 4 torque wrenches at this point, including the big honker for the 305# 1fz crank pulley. That will be my weapon of choice when the zombie apocalypse comes.

Yep, I'm up to 4 torque wrenches at this point, including the big honker for the 305# 1fz crank pulley. That will be my weapon of choice when the zombie apocalypse comes.
I had to do 450# for for the tow ball on my trailer. I really should have bought the ball with the next size down threads which only needed ~250. 1/2" sockets are insufficient for 450#. Even my mechanic only had a 3/4" that went to ~350. We used that with some loctite red on the threads, then put a 4' cast iron pipe as a breaker bar over a socket wrench and pushed it until neither of us could move it anymore (which wasn't very much). I'm imagining a 450# wrench would require two people to wield it

I had to do 450# for for the tow ball on my trailer. I really should have bought the ball with the next size down threads which only needed ~250. 1/2" sockets are insufficient for 450#. Even my mechanic only had a 3/4" that went to ~350. We used that with some loctite red on the threads, then put a 4' cast iron pipe as a breaker bar over a socket wrench and pushed it until neither of us could move it anymore (which wasn't very much). I'm imagining a 450# wrench would require two people to wield it

My solution was a torque multiplier - 3:1

55# on the torque wrench = 165# on the lug nuts for my F350.

Amazon

Yeah, we eventually hit a point where we just can't turn the wrench, or the object we are tightening the nut on itself starts to move.

So we do what Willie did and get a multiplier. The wrench brand I like makes a 3/4" model on amazon that goes to a claimed 2200ft-lb.

If anyone thinks that's nuts you should see what they do for really, really, really big/tight hardware. Think the head bolts on a large marine engine. 2-3" diameter bolts. They don't even us a wrench.. they have a cylindrical hydraulic ram that fits around the bolt to stretch it a certain amount, then they casually spin down the nut by hand, then release the force from the ram. It's ingenious..

Maybe I should give my various torque wrenches names..

Any recommendation of good low range torque wrench? very disappointed with this ACDelco, might be a fake (no cert no manual and no battery)
I've got a 1/4" Lexivon that's been fine (in lbs). Though I did have to replace the first one that wasn't "clicking" correctly with dialed in torque (supposedly 12ft/#. The securing nub with the spring ball snapped off - that was a cute trick and fun to dig out the piece from my socket. I think I got it from amazon. The second one has been fine. I'd recommend a Tekton or some other cheaper brand if I had it to do over again. But I'm not going to go buying another one until this one breaks.

I have one 3/8" Proto tools that's been good from the start IIRC. Easier to feel the "click" than the Tekton. 25-125 ft/lbs iirc. also from amazon. As always, beware counterfeit items on amazon.

Here's one....if im using the adaptive cruise control, and it slows down for a car in front of me, and I hit the throttle, over riding it....am I riding the brakes? Or is the car smart enough to disengage the brake?

Or is the car smart enough to disengage the brake?

I’d hope so.. does your year show the little graphic of your rig like my 13 does? If so are the brake lights on the imaginary 200 still on?

Are you sure that the cruise control uses the brakes at all?
I get the feeling mine uses gears to slow me down most of the time.

Though, I’m saying this from memory. I’ll have to test it.

It does cut the brakes if you override the radar cruise control with your throttle pedal. It will also tend to use brakes more to slow you down behind another car but will downshift if you're on a long descent and start coasting faster than your set speed.

Anyone who knows more than me about gears (that’s everyone). Is this enough damage that I need to try and send this back? This is 4:30 gear for a 9.5” rear end I ordered from Impex (Japan). The outer packaging wasn’t bad, but the Toyota box inside had a big hole in it, I assume from the pinion bouncing around. Also, the FedEx guy dropped it on my front porch. Between here and Japan, that probably wasn’t the first time.

IMG_7298.jpeg
IMG_7299.jpeg

This was the only thing in the box between the ring gear and the pinion.

IMG_7300.jpeg

Anyone who knows more than me about gears (that’s everyone). Is this enough damage that I need to try and send this back? This is 4:30 gear for a 9.5” rear end I ordered from Impex (Japan). The outer packaging wasn’t bad, but the Toyota box inside had a big hole in it, I assume from the pinion bouncing around. Also, the FedEx guy dropped it on my front porch. Between here and Japan, that probably wasn’t the first time.

View attachment 3585530View attachment 3585531

View attachment 3585533
I know very little but I would 100% not use that gear set

That’s what I was assuming. Blah…
Well, I shot them an email. We will see how this goes. That’s what I get for trying to save a buck.

Anyone deal with Impex customer service? Should I be optimistic?

It's probably fine, but yeah... I wouldn't install that either. The consequences of "it's not fine" are pretty steep, not worth the risk.

Well, I shot them an email. We will see how this goes. That’s what I get for trying to save a buck.

Anyone deal with Impex customer service? Should I be optimistic?
I have ordered light weight items from impex on February 26. It is back ordered. My items are light weight. Heater t and hoses.

I would file a claim with fed ex and credit card company as well. Hopefully impex and/or fed ex will step up.

View attachment 3585530View attachment 3585531

View attachment 3585533
I’ll join the minority and say that after taking off any rough or shattered edges that the tiny bit of missing tooth wouldn’t be an issue.
As for the pit in the edge of the ring, is that a sealing surface? If not probably meh.
Full disclosure- I had just differentials do my gear install, so my opinion isn’t even worth a penny here.

Does anyone have the LC200 OEM running boards parts numbers? My dealership refuses to order the parts because they state the system does not say they fit the Heritage model. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom