Spring Retainers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phipsi.net
Is anyone running spring retainer on their 80?

I know that in past threads guys have mentioned the "ExpeditionExchange retainers" but those are for Rovers not 80's. I"d imaging that the Japanese market might have a fwe tricks up their sleeve, but anything short from fabbing up a custom set would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

DITTO.

Is anyone running spring retainer on their 80?

I know that in past threads guys have mentioned the "ExpeditionExchange retainers" but those are for Rovers not 80's. I"d imaging that the Japanese market might have a fwe tricks up their sleeve, but anything short from fabbing up a custom set would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Hayes from what I've gathered, yes the springs are different, more importantly the mounts for the base plates are different.

The interesting part is that the Rover guys recommend retaining from the top of the spring instead of the bottom.

I don't have experience with retainers, All i know is that I need a set front and back before June.

I'm not letting this one go to the back, There has to be someone out there. Anyone want to waterjet, or laser cut the first set?

If you can come up with a design try getting in touch with Dan @ Ruff Stuff and see if he can help. I've been looking around but it's not earth shattering for me right now.

What about using a cone like the Rover guys use.

Can something similar be done for the 80s?
cones1.jpg

PIC00011.jpg

What about using a cone like the Rover guys use.

Can something similar be done for the 80s?
cones1.jpg

PIC00011.jpg

The 80 has cones, but when you are at full droop the problem is that although the spring wont leave the perch the spring will slide out of it's seated place which matters for the 80.

Ideally it would be the same design as the Expedition Exchange built to match 80 series perches and springs

Brother Rob has them on the rear, at the lower end of the springs. We made them from flat strap steel, they go over the first coil winding and across the spring perch, with a bolt through the perch holding them on.

Brother Rob has them on the rear, at the lower end of the springs. We made them from flat strap steel, they go over the first coil winding and across the spring perch, with a bolt through the perch holding them on.

Do you have a picture of brother robs setup or his contact info (PM)?

If you have room, you could use hose clamps on top for spring retention. This is done quiet often by the CBs of the Rover world (that includes me too). Just an idea.

Do you have a picture of brother robs setup or his contact info (PM)?

Don't have a pic handy, but it's a simple deal to make. A short piece of strap positioned as in the pic, with the ends bent down to capture the spring and a hole drilled in the center to match the hole in the spring pad for the bolt.
s_retain.jpg

a nice "formed" piece out of say ... 1/4" thick by 1" could be made to fit around the spring and bolt to the hole in the center of the lower rear spring perch. I am working on having this done in the next couple weeks as well. I am also going to extend the lower spring perch up about 3 inches inside the springs(same height as my bumpstops) With a piece of solid 3"? round solid aluminum so that my stock "poor mans air bumps" (those big rubber things inside the rear springs at the top) will be usefull again.

Last edited:
Another solution that John Shott implemented on his 100. It looks like a conduit hanger, maybe he will comment..

43034102-S.jpg

43034104-S.jpg

Another solution that John Shott implemented on his 100. It looks like a conduit hanger, maybe he will comment..

43034102-S.jpg

43034104-S.jpg

Just to confirm, those (conduit hangers are welded to the perch base? I Like how that works...

Old thread bump.

I keep puking coils. I need to retain them. I like the conduit hangers. Anymore ideas?

I could use something along these lines as well. Nobody makes anything bolt-on that will work for an 80?

Zip ties work just fine to retain the bottom of the spring....

Keeps it from falling out at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom