Spring Retainers

Website
www.PhiPsi.net
Is anyone running spring retainer on their 80?

I know that in past threads guys have mentioned the "ExpeditionExchange retainers" but those are for Rovers not 80's. I"d imaging that the Japanese market might have a fwe tricks up their sleeve, but anything short from fabbing up a custom set would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

DITTO.

Is anyone running spring retainer on their 80?

I know that in past threads guys have mentioned the "ExpeditionExchange retainers" but those are for Rovers not 80's. I"d imaging that the Japanese market might have a fwe tricks up their sleeve, but anything short from fabbing up a custom set would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Website
www.PhiPsi.net
Hayes from what I've gathered, yes the springs are different, more importantly the mounts for the base plates are different.

The interesting part is that the Rover guys recommend retaining from the top of the spring instead of the bottom.

I don't have experience with retainers, All i know is that I need a set front and back before June.

If you can come up with a design try getting in touch with Dan @ Ruff Stuff and see if he can help. I've been looking around but it's not earth shattering for me right now.

What about using a cone like the Rover guys use.

Can something similar be done for the 80s?
cones1.jpg

PIC00011.jpg

Website
www.PhiPsi.net
What about using a cone like the Rover guys use.

Can something similar be done for the 80s?
cones1.jpg

PIC00011.jpg

The 80 has cones, but when you are at full droop the problem is that although the spring wont leave the perch the spring will slide out of it's seated place which matters for the 80.

Ideally it would be the same design as the Expedition Exchange built to match 80 series perches and springs

alia176

SILVER Star
If you have room, you could use hose clamps on top for spring retention. This is done quiet often by the CBs of the Rover world (that includes me too). Just an idea.

Taz

a nice "formed" piece out of say ... 1/4" thick by 1" could be made to fit around the spring and bolt to the hole in the center of the lower rear spring perch. I am working on having this done in the next couple weeks as well. I am also going to extend the lower spring perch up about 3 inches inside the springs(same height as my bumpstops) With a piece of solid 3"? round solid aluminum so that my stock "poor mans air bumps" (those big rubber things inside the rear springs at the top) will be usefull again.

Last edited:

Wrench

One Bashed Up 80
Old thread bump.

I keep puking coils. I need to retain them. I like the conduit hangers. Anymore ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom