Spring Retainers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^So you use zip ties too? Land Speeder does as well.

Yeah. Cheap and easy.

I should probably switch to stainless steel zip ties...

straps - I was in a bind in that the first time I experienced spring pukage I was no where near my garage, ran a length of strap through the center hole - tied it tight, worked so well I never changed it out to a more perminate solution.

Any updates on this? Anyone have pics of how you guys did the zip tie thing? I am working on figuring out a solution that works, but doesnt make it impossible to get the springs out without cutting something off.

Well cutting zip ties is ok, but you know what I mean.

Any updates on this? Anyone have pics of how you guys did the zip tie thing? I am working on figuring out a solution that works, but doesnt make it impossible to get the springs out without cutting something off.

Well cutting zip ties is ok, but you know what I mean.

There's a hole in the bottom of the spring perch. Go take a look, it's pretty obvious.

ummm, what you don't see is that I break them every ride. I use the LARGE zip ties though.
I've welded the conduit hooks on and even broken those off as well.
I like the barbedwire bailing wire stuff actually. looks very redneck, but it seems to be the best for me. Otherwise peep what Lance did on the FZJ40.

I've learned my lesson last week by allowing the top of the spring to become completely unloaded.... I broke the damned spring! but I'm hard on my junk.

375829_10150420662472421_501052420_8428881_801680973_n.jpg

ummm, what you don't see is that I break them every ride. I use the LARGE zip ties though.
I've welded the conduit hooks on and even broken those off as well.
I like the barbedwire bailing wire stuff actually. looks very redneck, but it seems to be the best for me. Otherwise peep what Lance did on the FZJ40.

I've learned my lesson last week by allowing the top of the spring to become completely unloaded.... I broke the damned spring! but I'm hard on my junk.

375829_10150420662472421_501052420_8428881_801680973_n.jpg

Are those springs OEM?

Are those springs OEM?

naw! LOL. These are prolly the most abused single set of 80 springs known to man. They been crawled/beat/bounced/flexed/compressed fully on 3 rigs that have been shown no mercy for nearly 6 years now? They're FOR Gen I springs. cold rolled.

relevant to this thread, as well as showing that I don't play about the abuse, you can see how I tried bouncing the rear axle off Lorena this summer. Also see how this spring in question stayed attached since it had wire holding it to the the bottom.

294412_10150300371407421_501052420_7821807_1971949_n.jpg

304064_10150300565637421_501052420_7823983_5692348_n.jpg

I have puked this spring for a year and nothing has kept it in. Not even welding tabs.... not sure why the tabs break, but if a tab can break, then there's no wonder that whatever is causing the binding, this past weekend, has now caused the spring to get caught up and then when I came back down on it, it puked out and bulged out, I bounced on it when it was bulged sideways..... "pop". Gonna hafta limit my flex until I go to coilovers like Sam (PKP80) I suppose.

Those look like the same silver springs I had from franky that I broke a few years back

Those look like the same silver springs I had from franky that I broke a few years back

The Gen I's? Where's the rest?! I need one, obviously... in the rear... I'll buy it if it's a 4"
How'd you break it?

Dont know how they broke probably to much abuse
I backed out of my driveway one day and heard a metalic clang and got out of the truck and there was the bottom coil of the spring laying in the raod
Then the other rear gave out wheeln one day when I parked the truck noticed it was tilted oneway bad, broke the other rear spring
Then about a month after that I broke a front spring
I think to much fatigue from abuse and that rust also had gotten under tha powder coating and the combination of the fatigue and rust they just broke
Who knows, but Franky did give me a new set of rears after I broke the rears
The rear springs I had were a prototype is what Franky told me ,who knows
This was a few years back

Sorry man those are long gone
I broke one then I threw in another brand spring to replace the broken one, then I broke the other one like a month later
Also broke a front one as well
Sorry man

Last edited:
... Gonna hafta limit my flex until I go to coilovers like Sam (PKP80) I suppose.

Yep, that much droop isn't doing any good and will always break stuff. Travel needs to be limited/tuned to the spring, but also the whole suspension capacity. With that much droop the arms are way too short, look at the rear steer, going to be hard (destructive) on bushings, etc and add nothing to rig capability. Well actually, will reduce rig capability, it's difficult to get to the destination when stuff is broken!:hillbilly:

I'm ordering 12" travel Doetsch Prerunner 8000's on Monday. I'm running medium springs up front and 862's in the rear. I was scheming ideas for spring reatiners and I thought, why can't you either drill holes in the spring itself or tap the springs and, either way, bolt the spring to the perches? I think I'm going to try it, and I'll post some pics. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't drill into the spring. Seems like that'd be a good spot for it to fatigue and break over time.

You may not even need retainers with 12" shocks.

The bottom of the springs can easily be held in place with zip ties (if you break the plastic ones, you can get metal ones).

Ebag, weren't you the one who I argued with over shocks for a while and then my eyes were opened and I conceded defeat! So I will be good with just zip ties with 12" of travel and only 862's in the rear?

Yeah the lower up front is easy, I'm more talking about retention on the upper perches.

Shoot I guess bailing wire would work fine too huh?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom