Sporadic starting issues — no crank, no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 1990 FJ62. Had it for about 8 years and the whole time it's suffered from sporadic ignition issues. I had a brand new starter put in thinking that was the issue but [spoiler alert] it was not.

Every now and then, I go to turn the key and I hear a little "click" but the starter motor doesn't make any noise and the car doesn't start (electrical does come on).

This seems to happen most frequently with a replacement all-metal key. When I use the one with the black plastic head, it virtually never does.

If I keep playing with it (turning, removing the key, rinse, repeat), eventually it works. Sometimes it seems like making a minor adjustment to the way I put in or turn the key helps.

Other things to note:
1. I can remove the key all the way while driving. That seems odd and makes me wonder if something's up with the thing (technical term) the key goes into)
2. The ol' "tap the starter with a hammer while turning the ignition" does seem to make it work, which doesn't make sense to me since it seems not to be an issue with the actual starter motor.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Sorry for the duplicate post...I wrote this but it gave me an error when I tried to post and I couldn't find it under my posts, so I did a new one...

Probably an ignition cylinder in the steering column, contacts get worn and fail.

You can delete the duplicate thread by clicking /highlighting the title and (being the author), get a menu asking what to do- edit , delete etc.

Thanks. For the love of me I can't get that to work. The title isn't clickable but the time stamp is. I click that and get the option to edit, but no delete.

clean all the connections of the battery cable(s) from the battery to the starter and to ground.

The lock cylinder that you put the key into does not have any electrical connections. There is a long bar that connects the lock cylinder with the electrical ignition switch. as long as the key allows the rod to turn, I don't see how the type of key can influence whether the switch makes good contact or not.

Your symptoms indicate that you are not getting full voltage through the primary battery cables to the starter solenoid. It could be your connection points or the contacts inside the starter. You can rebuild the contacts (do a search) or buy a new starter, but first rule out that it is not just a bad cable connection.

from my understanding, if you always get the "click" it is not your ignition switch. The switch provides low amp 12V power to a relay/solenoid which then switches on the high amp power direct from the battery to the starter. The click is the relay/solenoid getting the low amp power and trying to switch.

Last edited:
Well, when driving a 35 year old truck, even built to a Land Cruiser Duty standard, stuff is bound to fail just from being used way past it's design life.

I've got a 1990 FJ62. Had it for about 8 years and the whole time it's suffered from sporadic ignition issues. I had a brand new starter put in thinking that was the issue but [spoiler alert] it was not.

Every now and then, I go to turn the key and I hear a little "click" but the starter motor doesn't make any noise and the car doesn't start (electrical does come on).

This seems to happen most frequently with a replacement all-metal key. When I use the one with the black plastic head, it virtually never does.

If I keep playing with it (turning, removing the key, rinse, repeat), eventually it works. Sometimes it seems like making a minor adjustment to the way I put in or turn the key helps.

Other things to note:
1. I can remove the key all the way while driving. That seems odd and makes me wonder if something's up with the thing (technical term) the key goes into)
2. The ol' "tap the starter with a hammer while turning the ignition" does seem to make it work, which doesn't make sense to me since it seems not to be an issue with the actual starter motor.

Any ideas? Thanks.

what would be that Milage on this FJ62 ?
-
there is a formula i can enter tech numbers like Modle year , the milage , etc

- this in-fact can give a relatively relative idea , how many times the ignition Key switch was engaged

- might sound far fetched right .......:D

- ok take the below tech. and tell me who disagrees here on this and why ?

- i have posted this once or twice before , and the discussion was interesting to say the least ...

- so :

- a FJ62 has 6 key cylinder locks ....

- in what order are they used , and which ones will inturn wear out and fail first in a methodical order and why :

- # 1 Ignition Lock cylinder , its used each time the truck goes somewhere , you may lock and unlock the driver front door ,. but not every time you stop and go places , like a gas station , key off and out of column but who locks there door at a gas station pumping gas ?
69057-90A08

- #2 drivers door lock cylinder , you use it to gain access initially , NOBODY uses the passenger side door lock to get in to drive do they ....? parts # 69052-90A06

- #3 rear push button hatch , you go to it vai a oem code cut key , for many reasons first , like loading grocery's after shopping , if u open the drivers door first , you take your hands off the cart packed with Carrots and Corn and SNOW Crab legs , and nobody walks more then a step or 2 away from a cart with no hands on it , so back hatch it is first ..Part # 69055-90A14

- #4 the pass door , used for loading up stuff of gaining access in tight areas , its limited but there ..Part # 69051-90A06

- #5 fuel door lid , well after TOYOTA upgraded the FJ62 fuel door release cable PULL T handle feature , who the hell ever stuck a key in that key hole ever again and why ? this creates a long term slow and painful death for my little guys there , so Part # 69058-90A02 dies on the vine turning into white powder as the decades roll buy , but does see plenty of use on a FJ60 , no release cable .. it.s a good DAM thing that fellow out there with the PET Black Squirrel has our backs on this with his.
Part # 69058-90A04 , :D

- #6 lastly , . if anyone has ever put there JAPAN Spec. NIKON in a FJ62 Glove Box , then used the key to LOCK it correctly please raise your hand ?

- if anyone has ever bought a FJ62 pre-owned and the glove box door comes pre-locked , because your all gitty with a 5 mile smile while sliding your TRUST Fund across a pick-nick table and never check it , please raise your hand ?

- the last very few short years i have seen , ONLY the FJ62 power actuated lock , was Disc. / NLA many many years ago , maybe even close to 20ish ...

- i recall clearly all others including the FJ62 manual push button lock was a healthy classification code global price tape ..... Part # 69055-90A06

- well , in a almost un-natural rapid motion one by one ALL the other locks for both 60 and 62 were and are being AXED globally , in the last 2 2 1/2 solid years ...

- the only lone survivors were the FJ62 ignition lock and the Drivers door lock ....

- about 2 weeks ago the drivers door lock on Japan price tape was NLA / Disc. this happens first to stated production has ended , its disc. now in japan and Saidi Spec . markets , here in the usa it's NOT , only due it having a small amount of good stock still floating around , and perhaps a trickle few in transit still from JAPAN ....

- the FJ62 Ignition lock remains HEALTHY part # for now

- if you like HOARDING FJ62 NEW parts , well game on , Part # 69052-90A06 , if you have not heard of this " thing " well good time to learn on the fly too ....

- i hope i have enough for what i do for a living ? we shall see ......:rolleyes:

-

allas , i remember shooting this spread for another Fellow
MUD Member . nothing less then FJ62 BLISS

-
DSCN4495.JPG

-

DSCN4499.JPG
DSCN4500.JPG

1690846530423.png

F31755B4-C2A1-4E9D-938A-2D77243CA659.jpeg

download.jpg

Last edited: