Builds Splurge Overkill - FJ60 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not yet. I think that purchase is going to be a ways off, since I have residual on my shop I still have to pay off first. It's killing me. I've been dreaming this thing up for the last 10 years... My thought process is get the bare essentials so I can start body mods, which is time consuming but cheap, while I get funding build up for the major purchases. Kinda backwards, I know.

Based on quickie measurements of our yard tractors, I am going to guess low 70's for WMS to WMS and low to mid 80's overall width. Technically the 23105D nomenclature is for the differential and the housing is OEM specific, but with the width of the vehicles being around 96" the overall axle widths shouldn't vary much... I am going to be building adapters for the wheels I have (335 mm bolt circle, 10 x 22mm studs, 281mm pilot hole, hub-centric), so I can seat the wheel wherever I want. They are super high inset wheels, so the tire only sticks out 1-2" farther than the rim. So I can have a WMS-WMS final dimension of 76" or so and have the tires even with the drive flanges if the axle is 80" wide.

Here is the road speed chart.
road speed chart.jpg
road speed chart.jpg

Damn Kevin, you're going to be busy shifting that thing. :D

You guys crack me up!

Here is what I was thinking about for road wheels.

Alcoa Workhorse

in 22.5 x 11.75, 120mm inset. Problem is they are a European market product... I like the fact they don't look like the typical alcoas with the hand holes that are so common on the diesel rice trucks. Maybe teflon coat them black, too. The wife likes the blacked out rims...

This for tires

Bridgestone M844F

In 385/65R225. Almost a perfect match size-wise for 42/15 pitbull rockers, but in a good all-terrain tread pattern that might last longer than 25,000 miles...

The xzl's smallest size is 45 x 14.5 (365/85r20). At least on their website. I have them on my 5-ton in 16.00r20 and like them, but dang they are loud. And they don't appear to wear very well. I need something that will do well on the road, but still get me along on unimproved roads. That is going to be most of the useage of this truck. But I do have 8 20x10 wheels...

Our trails up here definitely are slick. For that I was going to get some 42/15 r20 pitbull rockers and shoehorn them onto the 20" military wheels. The bead angle is different (5 deg. for the militaries vs 15 deg for the radial styles), but the headlocks are so stiff it shouldn't matter much. it will make the tire fit. There is about 70 ft-lb of running torque on the 3/4" studs while collapsing the beadlocks on my 5-ton. That's quite a few tons of force when applied by 10 studs...

My road tire choice is for going hunting, fishing, camping, etc, where forest service roads and light trails might be encountered, but lots of road miles are expected. I anticipate putting 25k+ a year on this thing.

Found another tire choice on the front of a dump truck at the kitsap county fair this weekend.

Toyo M320

The family was looking at the exhibits, and here I am drooling over a tire.

They are retread capable. Their pro-rate warranty chart for the case goes out beyond five retreads...

I will be able to free up funding for this at the end of november. Then the major purchases will happen. Right now it's the little things. Got an air brake foot valve and a sae #2 flywheel housing for the transmission. Just need a clutch kit and I can get the transmission changed over. Also getting my transmission jack repaired. Got lucky enough to score a meyer hydraulics ttj3 jack government surplus for $200. Needs all the seals redone, though. They bought it and never used it. your tax dollars hard at work!
Once that is repaired and the flywheel housing is swapped, I will start working on the transmission tunnel. Will get some pics up tomorrow of the latest goodies.

Why don't you just buy a 5 ton troop carrier, lose the rear axle and body and then graft your FJ60 body on?

Got one of those. It is hard on the wallet, slow, and huge. Fun as can be, but not what I am looking for in this build. If I were going for a mud truck, that would be just the ticket. Slap a turbo and turn up the fuel on the 855ci Cummins, throw some ag tires on, and let fly.

Not everything on this build is going to be bigger than toyota. Shocking, I know. I found a great deal on an air brake foot valve that looked like it would work well. Got it in, and test fitting is positive.

Old.
abv and fh  033.jpg

abv and fh  034.jpg
abv and fh  033.jpg
abv and fh  034.jpg

New:

abv and fh  035.jpg

abv and fh  036.jpg

It's a Bendix E-8P valve. I will lose the plate that came with it and adapt the firewall holes to match. Also, I will need to make a custom pin for the clevis to attach to the brake pedal. Easy stuff. I need to test for travel, but it looks like it will be fine. The air brake valve has about 1/2"-3/4" of stroke to it. It's even a match brand wise to the old vacuum booster!

abv and fh  037.jpg
abv and fh  035.jpg
abv and fh  036.jpg
abv and fh  037.jpg

I am really liking this build... I think its going to be really cool when its done.

Take in mind that some people do truly think I am nuts! They say one to many whacks to the head. :p

Sweet!

What are you planning to do to strengthen the frame with such a heavy drivetrain? A 60's frame was never designed to hold that much weight in driveline components.

Looking forward to seeing it all come together :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom