Speedometer Trouble - FJ40 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, if you only disconnected the cable from the T Case and did not mess with the speedo cluster, then you did not cause an electrical short.

The cable itself is mechanical & not affected by anything electrical. The electrical part is when you accidentally touch metal (the dash) to the backside of the amp meter. If you did not open up the dash, you are good.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification...probably just a coincidence then and I just goofed putting the cable back in.

I've been fighting my speedometer for a while now. It will not register anything while driving around. I finally got the speedometer to register when I put my drill on the cable at the t-case and give it a spin. So, I assume that my problem is the gear inside the t-case. I removed the retainer bold on the gear assembly but could not get the assembly it to budge. Is there a trick to extracting the assembly out of the t-case?

My dad was a watch maker among other skills. Way back in the 70's the speedo went bad in his Rambler. Plastic gear in the tranny had a stripped section on the worm mating unit. He hot rodded several short sections of 1/8" brazing rod into the plastic and then filed the part sticking up to the same profile as the rest of the teeth. Worked like a champ.

I have only ever used Vaseline for the cable lube in any of my rigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom