Cv axle boot rebuild part list help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
My passenger side cv axle on my 02 LX470 is torn and flinging grease everywhere and my plan is to reboot it. Does anyone know from experience if I will need anything besides what comes in the Toyota reboot kit? If so, would you be willing to share with me what parts those are along with the part #? Thank you.

I just rebooted the passenger side on Aaron (2001 LC) The kit comes with all parts needed. I STRONGLY suggest getting this tool from Amazon,
CV Boot Clamp Pliers, Single Ear Hose Drive Shaft CV Axle Boot Clamp Removal and Installation Tool Compatible with Toyota Lexus etc OEM 09521-24010 https://a.co/d/i1ycWeZ
You will thank me.

I just rebooted the passenger side on Aaron (2001 LC) The kit comes with all parts needed. I STRONGLY suggest getting this tool from Amazon,
CV Boot Clamp Pliers, Single Ear Hose Drive Shaft CV Axle Boot Clamp Removal and Installation Tool Compatible with Toyota Lexus etc OEM 09521-24010 https://a.co/d/i1ycWeZ
You will thank me.
Which kit did you use that came with all the parts please?

Outside of the boot "kit" you'll need 2L of gear lube, a new OEM differential axle seal, new axle end snap ring of the correct thickness, a new locking tab washer, possibly a thrust washer. Depending on the condition and proper/improper removal of the axle you may need a wheel hub seal & wheel bearing grease.

Read the FSM and check the parts schematic

You will thank me.
Thanks for the tip, I’ll be ordering the tool.

Outside of the boot "kit" you'll need 2L of gear lube, a new OEM differential axle seal, new axle end snap ring of the correct thickness, a new locking tab washer, possibly a thrust washer. Depending on the condition and proper/improper removal of the axle you may need a wheel hub seal & wheel bearing grease.

Read the FSM and check the parts schematic
Okay, I have the axle seal ordered, wheel hub seal, and the front wheel snap ring kit from Cruiser Teq all ordered.

Ordered that as well. I think I'll be able to tackle this in one day pretty easily. Some pretty good youtube videos out there. Thanks everyone for the help!

Thanks for the tip, I’ll be ordering the tool.
No problem. I personally thought it was a fun job. Here is a tip you probably already know. Before you remove the drive shaft take note of the gap between the seal and driveshaft. That way you know when the shaft has been completely seated and you are not wondering if it is all the way in. Also when installing the drive shaft, go in as straight as possible. Takes way less effort to seat. Good luck!

If you don't have one you'll also need a brass punch to knock out the cone washers on the flange and to pop the CV axle out of the diff without damaging it

@rtbwmu , did you end up tackling this project yet? I was gonna take a stab at it next weekend and was wondering if you could link your complete parts list? I bought the OEM reboot kit (x2), and the Cruiser Garage clamp kit (x1). Will be buying OEM flanges (x2) and flange gaskets (x2). I'm just confused about the additional axel seals, hub seals, and snap rings that are needed.

@rtbwmu , did you end up tackling this project yet? I was gonna take a stab at it next weekend and was wondering if you could link your complete parts list? I bought the OEM reboot kit (x2), and the Cruiser Garage clamp kit (x1). Will be buying OEM flanges (x2) and flange gaskets (x2). I'm just confused about the additional axel seals, hub seals, and snap rings that are needed.
I think the only other thing I ordered in addition would be the snap ring kit from Cruiser Teq. Front Wheel Snap Ring Kit - Fits 1998-2007 IFS UZJ100/LX470 - https://cruiserteq.com/front-wheel-snap-ring-kit-fits-1998-2007-ifs-uzj100-lx470/

Also I used a combo of these two youtube videos to help walk me through the process.

It was a relatively easy project. The hardest part for me was getting the axle seated back into place. I can't imagine trying to do the project without a bench vice though so I recommend you get one if you don't have it. I recommend watching both of the above videos (increase the playback speed to at least 1.5 though) before starting the project. I think that should help clear up any confusion. Good luck!

I think the only other thing I ordered in addition would be the snap ring kit from Cruiser Teq. Front Wheel Snap Ring Kit - Fits 1998-2007 IFS UZJ100/LX470 - https://cruiserteq.com/front-wheel-snap-ring-kit-fits-1998-2007-ifs-uzj100-lx470/

Also I used a combo of these two youtube videos to help walk me through the process.

It was a relatively easy project. The hardest part for me was getting the axle seated back into place. I can't imagine trying to do the project without a bench vice though so I recommend you get one if you don't have it. I recommend watching both of the above videos (increase the playback speed to at least 1.5 though) before starting the project. I think that should help clear up any confusion. Good luck!

Thanks a bunch!

The linked videos "unavailable". Do you think the links are broken or maybe the vids aren't up anymore? I was looking at the Chowcares, Cruiserpatch, and Jungle Cat vids on YouTube for guidance.

Forgive my OCD-ness, but wanted to confirm I'm not missing anything (and maybe this will help future DIYers). In addition to the OEM reboot kit (x2), and the Cruiser Garage clamp kit (x1), I'm picking up the following:
Screenshot_20240408-194718.png
Screenshot_20240408-194737.png
Screenshot_20240408-194753.png

Did I get the right parts and is there anything else I should add to my cart?

Thanks a bunch!

The linked videos "unavailable". Do you think the links are broken or maybe the vids aren't up anymore? I was looking at the Chowcares, Cruiserpatch, and Jungle Cat vids on YouTube for guidance.
hmmm that's odd. The linked videos are titled "CV Axle Reboot & Replacement With CV Boot Stretch Mod" on Timmy the Toolman's channel and "Rebuilding Land Cruiser 100 Axles & Boot Stretch Mod" on Gio Rodriguez's channel. They both are still up but for some reason when I copy and paste the links here they are showing as inactive.

Car Care Nut and Patch’s videos are all you need to rebuild. There are other videos for removal and installation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom