Spare tire removal-weird jack receiver? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Memories! Funny thing, I bought a jack set on eBay last summer and it randomly had the spare key attached, after I disposed of this unit. I have a tulip shaped key now too if anybody needs.

Memories! Funny thing, I bought a jack set on eBay last summer and it randomly had the spare key attached, after I disposed of this unit. I have a tulip shaped key now too if anybody needs.
I know this thread is really old, but you wouldn't happen to still have this joyous little tulip looking lock would you? I tried one from an '05 Tacoma (the ones you can find all over the net PT276-34071) and it is really close to the shape, but the bottom and top curves are flat, making it useless to the '03 Tacoma.

If you have the tool still, I am wondering if you would like to part with it. Let me know when you have a chance, if you even see this thread.

Thanks in advance,
-Ewall

image.jpg
I know this thread is really old, but you wouldn't happen to still have this joyous little tulip looking lock would you? I tried one from an '05 Tacoma (the ones you can find all over the net PT276-34071) and it is really close to the shape, but the bottom and top curves are flat, making it useless to the '03 Tacoma.

If you have the tool still, I am wondering if you would like to part with it. Let me know when you have a chance, if you even see this thread.

Thanks in advance,
-Ewall

I don't frequent the site as much as I used to, but just saw your query. In fact I do still have the tool. Here's a pic. Just send me a PM with your contact info and will make it happen.

Glad this thread got bumped when it did. Subtle reminder to RTFM on my part. New owner here.....haven't thought to test out the spare yet. Had I not just seen this thread and gone outside and looked, I may have been unknowingly setting myself up for failure on the side of the road in the future. Luckily for me, PO left the tool in the kit thank goodness.

Those are theft deterrence not prevention. I have wheel locks but stripping one in the field is a nightmare, so I carry an appropriately sized "damaged nut extractor" similar to one of these: Sears.com

Tried my spare last night and I do have the tulip shaped fitting for the lowering crank but the receiver part is so rusted and corroded that it can't get any purchase to turn it. Even when I do get some traction on the winch it seems seized anyway. Time to start searching the forums for how people are replacing these things.

I just purchased an 03 LX with the same spare tire lock and no key. I used a long ratcheting flex wrench to remove the top 4 bolts and release the hoist with tire attached. A bit of a bitch, but doable with the right tools. Works out okay for me anyway, as my spare tire was going on a Slee swing-out and I prefer to remove those hoists since they are real headbangers.

Also, a side note, the above part number is for 2003 - 2004 (00276-04960, aka PT276-04960), it is pretty hard to find, However... the 2005 - 2007 (00276-34071, aka PT276-34071) can be found all over the web is like this tulip, but flattened out on the top and bottom. Here is the key I am returning.

PT276-34071_05TacomaSpareLock.jpg

I just purchased an 03 LX with the same spare tire lock and no key. I used a long ratcheting flex wrench to remove the top 4 bolts and release the hoist with tire attached. A bit of a bitch, but doable with the right tools. Works out okay for me anyway, as my spare tire was going on a Slee swing-out and I prefer to remove those hoists since they are real headbangers.
Hey Whiskey - do you still have the hoist you removed? Interested in selling? Mine is rusted beyond use (and removal).

image.jpeg

View attachment 1174450

Funny how similar that looks to the tire carrier on my 55!

He he. That is funny. Porter you should RTFM, before you start hacking parts off your truck! :)

Did you search the truck for the wheel rim and spare keys, thoroughly? There are lots of little pockets in the Lexus, and the previous owner would have been an idiot not to have them in the vehicle.

I was able to use the Lexus arrangement, but it was a bit fiddly. Fortunately my spares now sit on the rear bumper, so I don't have to worry about it.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: You still have the cable type spare hanger. Here in Australia those were all recalled and replaced with a chain hanger, as there had been a few cases of cables breaking when the spare hit something, or because it came loose, causing crashes or serious damage under the rear of the vehicle. There may be a recall still active in North Carolina as well. Perhaps you could get a new cable hanger, and have the basic hook type connector installed at the same time.

Crazy. I need to rotate tires on our 470, so I guess I will figure this out really quick this weekend!

I got a flat today and found this out the hard way. I inserted the traditional hook to lower it and nothing. I looked inside and saw the key. I went out to the 99 I am parting out an it's the hook style. I then looked into the tool kit of my 2004 and saw they key insert. Interesting and news to me. Worked flawlessly after I found it.

Hello guys, new owner here and of course it didn't come with a key or a tool bag. After some fiddling and Internet searching, I've also realized I need a key. Hoping someone out there has an extra key I can purchase. I can't find a key for sale and local dealer is of no help.

I used a ratcheting wrench on the back side of the cross-member to unbolt the 4 bolts that hold it to the cross member. Obviously I needed a couple jack stands to hold the tire up after I unbolted them.

I then ground two welds off of the side of the tulip-shaped interface and it came off with some channel locks. Underneath it is a standard slotted interface.

Because I had no tool kit at all (just the bottle jack... damn previous owners) I had to purchase a Tundra tool kit off of ebay. I also purchased a long tire spare tool from JB Tools that I carry in the back of the truck to let the spare down now even though the Tundra kit has the hook in it that would work.

That "lock" cost folks way more than it has saved them in stolen spares, I'd bet.

I then ground two welds off of the side of the tulip-shaped interface and it came off with some channel locks. Underneath it is a standard slotted interface.

Did you happen to take pictures of this? I've been in the same boat with no toolkit or key. Picked up the rods for the jack and spare and then realized I have the security spare mount. Allegedly the local Lexus dealer is competent, but I'm sure I'd pay for it.

OMG, i just found my lock after reading this thread and working on it for two hours. I was 5 seconds away from a torch. My tool kit is AS NEW from 2006 and it was down to the rear where the OEM jack was. Thank you to the OP for this thread. New to me 2006

IMG_20160906_200930.jpg

We have a 2007 TLC in the family and this is what it looks like inside there......had to order one of these I found on ebay.....

PT276-34071

It says for 2012-17 Taco, but that looks exactly like the one on the 07 TLC.....

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 1.09.55 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom