Spare tire removal-weird jack receiver? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This just bit me in the ass! I think mine fell off the end of my tool the last time I put the new spare up. F!

Neighbor mentioned it was loose, and we are going camping this weekend, so I was gonna snug it up, guess not...

If I need a spare, I've got it, will just have to drop the carrier I guess....

Any of you guys have another way to get it down? I can fit my hand through the wheel but the way it's made, I can't turn anything by hand.

Any help is appretiated

I just did this yesterday, the lock device has a star fangled nut type washer that is pushed into the hoist receiver, I did not figure this out until I had removed the whole wheel and lowering hoist using the four bolt method, but, if you can get it lined up you can knock a wedge or tapered punch into the gap between the hoist receiver and the offending article, it comes out fairly easy, and will be way less work / danger.

Last edited:
Post yesterday on how to remove it.

Post yesterday on how to remove it.

Over two years later i found this thread- I'm sure there will be others looking in the future.

I have a new to me 2002 LX470 and ran into this getting new tires and wheels (went back OEM). The post above on how to remove the lock worked. I used a flat head screwdriver to pry off with a tap of a hammer. The lock come out and then it is just like the Land Cruiser ones without locks. So no need to order a new one.

Just reach up and take the 4 bolts out of the top of the spare tire winch mechanism (12mm Socket) ( used jack stands to catch the tire as it came off). Then you can hand crank the cable and feed wire out. Put in vise and pull off the rubber cover and then the lock. Now the hook end of the jack handles will be the "Key" so universal...

The puzzle nut 'security' arrangement on the spare wheel carrier of Land Cruisers is the stupidest design component in the entire vehicle. It's epically dumb.

Smashing it off before it becomes a problem is a wonderful feeling.

Just had to do this to mine. Guess what fell down when I dropped down the tire and assembly. The darn key! It must have either been in one of the the wheel spokes or stuck between the tire and frame somehow. So the employee at Discount Tire DID know they lost the key in the wheel and still sent me sailing. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom