Southwest Adventure 2020 -Official Info and Photo Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box Rocket

SILVER Star
Threads
It's time again for the annual Southwest Adventure! As usual this will take place over several days leading up to Cruise Moab and finish with our arrival in Moab on Wednesday in time for Cruise Moab. So if you are planing on going to Cruise Moab and have a few extra days before the event officially starts come spend it with us! As usual, this trip is supported by 4xOverland USA and Slinky Suspensions.
SWA_2020_Front3 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Dates for the trip are April 10-15. We will begin by meeting near St George, Utah for dinner as a group on Friday, April 10 at 6:00pm. Location details TBD. Participants will be on their own to arrange lodging in the St George/Hurricane, Utah area for Friday evening. We will meet for departure at 9:00am Saturday April 11. Meeting location TBD.

Rough itinerary will be to begin by heading south to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and working our way east and north through some spectacular areas of Northern Arizona and Southern Utah. We will camp on the trail Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights. Participants are responsible for their own camping equipment as well as food. We have had some great meals on past trips and often participants bring food to share with each other around the campfire. There is no expectation that anyone provides food for anyone other than who is in their vehicle, but if you have something you'd like to share you'll have others willing to do the same.

Typical trail conditions for these trips is generally mild to moderate wheeling. The most difficult part of the trip will be coming out through Elephant Hill in Canyonlands. Cruise Moab rates the Elephant Hill trail 5/10.
Vehicle should be in good mechanical condition and capable of several days of remote travel over approximately 600 miles offroad without issue. No major leaks. Overly worn tires could be cause for dismissal from the trip, at the discretion of trip leaders. So please have good tires and a full size spare, and/or tire plug/repair kit. Spare parts are generally not needed, but it's always a good idea to come prepared for the worst. Every vehicle should have a well stocked first aid kit. Below is a basic checklist for vehicle and equipment.

Vehicle Requirements:
- 4 Wheel Drive Vehicle in good mechanical condition, capable of 600+ miles of remote offroad travel.
- Steering and links in good working condition
- Brakes and ebrake system in proper working condition
- Mud Terrain or All Terrain tires in good condition. Full size spare tire and/or tire repair kit.
- Fuel range of at least 250 miles between fuel stops. Bring extra fuel as needed to meet range requirement.
- HAM radio preferred, CB Radio also acceptable
- Spare fluids/parts
- Basic vehicle recovery kit. (i.e. 30,000lb recovery strap, bow shackles,) Winch recommended, not required. Shovel (could be used for recovery as well as disposal of human waste.)
- Seatbelts for all vehicle occupants
- Working headlights/taillights

Other Gear Requirements:
- Camping/sleeping equipment for driver and all passengers for 4 nights camping in remote/primitive camping locations. No bathroom facilities at planned campsites.
- Cooking equipment and food/water for driver and all passengers for 5 days. Water and basic supplies might be available at some fuel stops but plan accordingly if not available.
- Proper clothing for early spring Utah weather. That means it could be warm, it could be snowing and could change from one to the other multiple times a day. :)
- First Aid Kit
- Cash or credit card to purchase any needed supplies, and or cover fees for possible ferry use. Ferry rates are $25 for all vehicles 20' long or less.

Those who have participated in past years know that the Southwest Adventure is a fantastic trip in a relatively small group. If you have never attended this trip, and are interested in joining us, you're in for a treat!
Trip will be limited to a maximum of 15 vehicles. Because of the distance of the trip and the timeframe in which to travel, be prepared to travel fairly quickly covering 100-200 miles each day. Bring a camera! We'll see some spectacular scenery.

We will be holding a PHOTO CONTEST starting immediately in conjuction with 4xOverland USA and Mill Creek Overland.
Winner of the contest will receive a Stage 1 Slinky suspension kit, currently available for 80/100/200 Series Land Cruisers and LX models, FJ Cruisers, Lexus GX 460/470 models, late model 4Runners. There will be a photo thread here on IH8MUD, but you can also particpate by posting a photo of your vehicle to social media. Please like/follow 4xOUSA and Mill Creek Overland's facebook pages and you can post your photo to the timeline of either page. Post must include the hashtags #swadventuregiveaway2020 #slinkygiveaway2020 #slinkylongtravel
The winner will be selected on March 27, 2020 and the kit shipped out immediately so it can be installed in time to participate in the trip.
Stage 1 80 series kit shown.
80Ser_Stg1_NoText by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

More details to come and will be posted to this thread. If you want to participate in the trip please send a direct message to me @Box Rocket here on MUD. T-shirt provided for driver of each participating vehicle. Additional shirts available upon request. Individual shirt prices to follow.

Here's a few pics from SW Adventure 2019!
IMG_2533 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2654 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2663 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2699 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2756 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2780 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2796 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2827 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sounds like a great trip and I would be all in if I wasn't flying my dad in on Monday. My dad and I will be making the trip up from Phoenix leaving very early on Tuesday and could try to chase you all down for Tuesday night/wednesday run into Moab if that's allowed. I'll have a HAM radio and am a pretty decent navigator so GPS coordinates and frequency or repeater should be enough... or I can just wait until next year.

Pretty close. Just need to confirm Halls Crossing ferry schedule. We'll use that if it's running the day we need it. If not, got a plan B
I haven't looked in a while. It was basically closed all last year for dock construction I think.

I haven't looked in a while. It was basically closed all last year for dock construction I think.
It’s back up and running but for the Fall/winter is was only running Thurs-Sat. Just waiting to hear back if the Spring/Summer schedule is any different. We’d be using it on a Monday.

Reactions: dmc
It’s back up and running but for the Fall/winter is was only running Thurs-Sat. Just waiting to hear back if the Spring/Summer schedule is any different. We’d be using it on a Monday.

Just went to take the ferry a couple days ago, Thurs-Sat was posted on the road in.

Do you need to be signed in to Cruiser Moab for the pre run?

Just went to take the ferry a couple days ago, Thurs-Sat was posted on the road in.

Do you need to be signed in to Cruiser Moab for the pre run?
This trip is not part of the Cruise Moab event. We just happen to plan it around the event to try to accomodate people who are already planning on attending CM. It seems easier for many to take a few extra days off for something they already have on the calendar versus shceduling it at another time.

That’s one heck of a long detour.
If you don't have an agenda plan then there is no detour. I've been doing a lot of slot canyons down in the Henry Mountains and usually head home via Escalante but pay attention to the ferry just in case.

If you don't have an agenda plan then there is no detour. I've been doing a lot of slot canyons down in the Henry Mountains and usually head home via Escalante but pay attention to the ferry just in case.
Yeah, I've got a backup plan if the ferry is a no-go. We've tried to incorporate the ferry for the past 3 years and it's never worked out so this wouldn't be a surprise.

I was thinking more of the people that commute to work and school in that area. The ferry takes school buses across too. :)

For us, the detour is the “journey.”

UPDATE! Southwest Adventure 2020 has been postponed!

Due to Covid-19 and current restrictions on social gatherings as well as restrictions on camping etc around Moab and Southern Utah we will be postponing this trip.

Current plan is to reschedule to late-September sometime, but nothing has been finalized yet. We will update the thread here with new details as they develop.

Stay safe and healthy and we'll see you all when things settle down. Thank you for your understanding.

We're currently looking at September. Still would like to piggyback on the end of Cruise Moab if they reschedule for the fall. That will be the first choice. If CM does not reschedule, we'll get our own date (assuming the pandemic allows it) in the early fall. Given that we'll be in Arizona for part of the route, it will be wicked hot to do it during the summer. That's why we're looking to wait for things to cool off just a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom