Sound systems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So what do you guys do with the rather smallish dash hole in a '79 that no modern single DIN fits into? I got CCOT's center console for added options but failed to realize you have to open the lid to access controls (while driving) in their space provided for a modern unit. Also what are some various speaker options? Rollbar units are mostly for boats and they're huge and pretty expensive.

Last edited:
Visit the bay for shaft style units. > click here <

My radio came from there...
IMG_1730.jpg

Visit the bay for shaft style units. > click here <

My radio came from there...
View attachment 1859181

Do not want to down load the manual for this radio, it doesn't say it fits a smaller than standard single DIN slot. Is it smaller?

I have a loose dash, 3 78 cowls, a 82 tub and three FJ40s with the factory radio opening. One cowl and two 40s still have a intact opening. The other five have been cut for a larger radios. My issue with the Kenwood is perfer CDs over cassettes. Thinking about fudging the lower pads and using a nineties Toyota double DIN that are two single DIN held together with the mounting brackets. These came two ways. CD with the radio and cassette the slave or cassette with the radio and CD the slave. Have both styles. The cassette with the radio and extend the wiring to install the slave CD in the glovebox would still look period correct with a cassette and have a CD player but knobs as old school looking. For what ever reason the aftermarket consoles have never interested me.

Do not want to down load the manual for this radio, it doesn't say it fits a smaller than standard single DIN slot. Is it smaller?

I have a loose dash, 3 78 cowls, a 82 tub and three FJ40s with the factory radio opening. One cowl and two 40s still have a intact opening. The other five have been cut for a larger radios. My issue with the Kenwood is perfer CDs over cassettes. Thinking about fudging the lower pads and using a nineties Toyota double DIN that are two single DIN held together with the mounting brackets. These came two ways. CD with the radio and cassette the slave or cassette with the radio and CD the slave. Have both styles. The cassette with the radio and extend the wiring to install the slave CD in the glovebox would still look period correct with a cassette and have a CD player but knobs as old school looking. For what ever reason the aftermarket consoles have never interested me.

LITP - Yes, it is smaller. The old shaft style radios work in the FJ40's slot. Below is the radio that some PO installed in my rig, but was non functional. Retrosound makes newer shaft style radios, and some of their's is adjustable.

IMG_1806.JPG

LITP - Yes, it is smaller. The old shaft style radios work in the FJ40's slot. Below is the radio that some PO installed in my rig, but was non functional. Retrosound makes newer shaft style radios, and some of their's is adjustable.

View attachment 1859207

Did you have to bend the side flanges to mount the radio? Can't remember if it was my old school GE push button radio with a built in 40 channel CB or a Radio Shack radio and cassette that had adjustable shafts. Both were mounted to the 74 console in my 68. After years of debating on cutting the dash I finally cut the dash for the Realistic. Figure the original lower dash pad would cover the patch.

Wake tower marine speakers are definitely pricey for good ones.... I went po’ boy on my speakers but they sound right good! Polk indoor/outdoor speakers mounted on rubber pipe coupling/hose and conduit hangers (very secure!)
These speakers won’t crank out a lot of bass but unless you’re rolling with rap music, they are great for oldies and country!

C5B8864E-B3D9-42F7-BA4B-E4B67C3F542E.jpeg

7BBF0107-2A79-4530-94D3-9DEBD3B16105.jpeg

Did you have to bend the side flanges to mount the radio? Can't remember if it was my old school GE push button radio with a built in 40 channel CB or a Radio Shack radio and cassette that had adjustable shafts. Both were mounted to the 74 console in my 68. After years of debating on cutting the dash I finally cut the dash for the Realistic. Figure the original lower dash pad would cover the patch.

The dash opening was never cut, before or after my install. However, the tabs were modified by the PO. I think there are some on here that have put the Retrosound stereo in, and those units have all the modern stuff (USB ports and other stereo jacks).

So what do you guys do with the rather smallish dash hole in a '79 that no modern single DIN fits into? I got CCOT's center console for added options but failed to realize you have to open the lid to access controls (while driving) in their space provided for a modern unit. Also what are some various speaker options? Rollbar units are mostly for boats and they're huge and pretty expensive.
Ahh the old how do I get music in this old landcruiser of mine question...

a bit expensive but worth it in my opinion is the Retrosound setup. it's what I have in mine.
Build Your Own Radio – RetroSound

they sell kits or you can build your own. it looks period correct too and has Bluetooth, radio, usb attach, etc. I'll see if I have a picture.

Nice @FJC Mtneer... did mine similar ;)
A0BBF396-3392-4569-B3E7-D21BA7DCE059.jpeg

Glove box amp
3DCD5C0F-9162-4727-B1FB-BA9DC1143DDC.jpeg

Volume control under dash
1003D4FB-1724-41F0-B038-8974423B280C.jpeg

Phone mount: amp & charge connections
09F96556-CDF9-43AB-896D-1EA235C3C558.jpeg

No Radio...... No Problem!

Mine was called the Retrosound 2 radio. I dont see that listed anymore. I think.....all the build your own radios are basically the same but have different features. So, pick your radio and then choose the faceplate and knobs. They dont have a radio specifially made for the 40.

I made a metal plate to go behind the faceplate to give it added support as my radio hole had been hacked up a little. It isnt a perfect fit right out of the box, but if you are familiar with knob mounted radios, then it is pretty easy to make it work. I found the rollbar mounts somewhere online. HTH

Edit: If you look very closely at the picture of my radio you can see a black piece of metal behind the faceplate. I made that part because the faceplate just barely covered the factory hole.

Last edited:
Bummer on the CCOT console - the Tuffy one I got has a separate compartment so you don't have to have the main storage compartment open at all to have access to the head unit.

I got these speakers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071I0Q5S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheap so if someone steals them no major loss. And waterproof if you have your top off and it rains. I mounted a pair to the roll bar - I ended up fabbing a new bracket (simple U-shaped bend) and used allen head screws to secure them in place. For the front, I had them mounted under the dash with the stock brackets (and again allen head screws for security). But since I'm installing AC I need that space for louvers. So I bought some heavy duty 3M double sided tape and stuck them up under the dash - they'll be much more hidden which is nice. Sound is slightly impacted but not like the cab is a audiophile music chamber. Should hold up fine, they don't weigh much, tape is rated for some heavy weight.

Don't expect super hi-fidelity from them. However, with a good amp (I have an Alpine 3-channel amp) and a small subwoofer (8" sub under my driver's seat), they sound pretty good! Of course with as loud as our cruisers are, you lose a lot of sound quality anyhow. My amp is mounted under the seat as well - again another easy fab job. Search my build for more details.

Also, here are some shots from another thread (post #11): Where are my speakers, and how do I plug in a radio?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom