Help diagnose transfer/transmission sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You may be lucky and have just too tight barely e-brake shoes. Try adjusting off 1 click and see if noise goes away, I will say that sound was more teeth contact sound than shoe drag but I have had my ebrake just barely drag and it makes wierd sounds. Search on here for which direction to rotate adjuster to back shoes off and to find adjuster if you dont know where it is. Its on the backing plate for e-barke, at the bottom.
Even with pliers, the knob does not budge. There is some oil leaking down the housing. The odd thing is that the sound didn't gradually become louder and its definitely loud metal sounding. Almost like a bearing.

Id suggest to remove the driveshaft and spin the drum, or remove drum and inspect. FYI, Put a drain pan under it if you remove the drum.

Yea or lift up a rear wheel and turn it.
Drain the fluid before you pull the handbrake drum, otherwise you'll need new shoes.
Check my thread on this if you want to fix the oil leak.

Yeah, I would not start it for videos, jack up rear axle, block front tires, put trans in nuetral, e-brake off, lay under truck, grab rear dline with both bare hands, rotate, hopefully you hear/feel the issue. You did not answer the ? about the drain plug ? The little adjuster takes a line wrench sometimes, and again, I dont recall which direction is to release the shoes ?

Anticlockwise when looking forwards at the drum face to release.

20230810_185311.jpg

The drain plug has a maximum of about 20mm depth from the lower face to the transfer gear (this pic is before I helicoiled it).

20230614_182857.jpg

Thanks to all that added info- I had some time today and dropped the rear axel and removed the drum. Without the drum there is no noise or chatter as the unit turns. Smooth as silk. With the drum is reattached with the pressure from the bolt and the unit turns, the sound comes back. Somehow the drum is pressing or making contact with the bottom 1/4 of the brake assembly as it turns, catching on something. Now that I've isolated it to the brake and not the transfer case. Is the next step to rebuild the brake? I'm not sure what could possibly be the cause for the contact?

Thanks to all that added info- I had some time today and dropped the rear axel and removed the drum. Without the drum there is no noise or chatter as the unit turns. Smooth as silk. With the drum is reattached with the pressure from the bolt and the unit turns, the sound comes back. Somehow the drum is pressing or making contact with the bottom 1/4 of the brake assembly as it turns, catching on something. Now that I've isolated it to the brake and not the transfer case. Is the next step to rebuild the brake? I'm not sure what could possibly be the cause for the contact?
Take a look at this.. Post number 8 identified his problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom