Sound deadening and interior kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been doing some research and plan on redoing the interior of my FJ. Obviously mine is a little different than most as I only need to do the front seat area. Im wondering what experiences you all have in regards to different products for this type of thing. Any products you love or hate? My plan is to put down sound deadening, a rubber type application, and then new vinyl.

I used Evercoat QPads, #117 to replicate the factory sound deadening. They're a little pricey and you need two boxes, but it is thick, easy to cut and apply and is very close to the original tar pads Toyota used. You can view my build thread for how I went about this.

I hope this helps.
Thank you very much!

On my series 80 I used Noico brand the thickest I could find. However, on my 76 FJ40 so far the transmission tunnel showed some rust where the asphalt sound deadening was.
IMG_0274.jpeg

so I have not replaced this so far. I suspect if you have a nice water tight cabin, it would not be an issue.
I do have some closed cell foam under the vinyl floor mat, and a 3mm ribbed rubber mat on top.

in general any flat surface will reverberate, so if you are putting some sound deadening material, the roof, back wall behind the seats and firewall are all opportunities. 40 channel on YouTube shows doing this.

Buy some loop earplugs. Or whatever similar brand. Reusable, compact, about $30, won’t rust your ears or your 40, keeps the vehicle stock. Much better solution than hundreds of dollars and many hours of sound deadening for a few decibel reduction.

I use them at concerts, filters the sound down and you hear the band better. They are low profile so the po-po wont see them while you’re driving.

I was reluctant to use adhesive material. So I found foil/ jute material and installed in under the rubber mats in the truck. It made a huge difference for the heat coming into the cab. I also installed it under the rear rubber mat. As far as sound deadening , it still sounds like a tractor. I'm sure it made some difference.

1691263718042.png

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom