Some questions about my fan clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I probably will change the fan clutch when I replace the radiator, but I just saw the mounting of the fan clutch is "blue" as pics below.
1. does this fan clutch seems aftermarket? (because that blue mounting)
2. do I need to change the fan also, because it looks very bad, all over those white scratching
3. will this "Aisin FCT-021 Engine Cooling Fan Clutch" from amazon work as OEM? Aisin FCT-021 Engine Cooling Fan Clutch

Thanks for any suggestions!
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 4.21.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 4.20.44 PM.png

Last edited:
The AISIN
Hi, I probably will change the fan clutch when I replace the radiator, but I just saw the mounting of the fan clutch is "blue" as pics below.
2. do I need to change the fan also, because it looks very bad, all over those white scratching
3. will this "Aisin FCT-021 Engine Cooling Fan Clutch" from amazon work as OEM? Aisin FCT-021 Engine Cooling Fan Clutch

View attachment 2577708View attachment 2577706

The AISIN Fan Clutch is the preferred unit to go with, or you can go Toyota OEM, which is the same thing but for more money. The AISIN Fan Clutch will have a blue mounting plate just like the one in your picture. The fan does no appear to need replacement. Inspect it more thoroughly when you remove the fan and fan clutch. Fan clutches can be R&R'd and don't necessarily need to be replaced. Are you certain yours needs replacement? It does not appear to be that old from the pictures, what mileage do you have on the truck?

Good advice-^^

The bearings fail (stays fully engaged) which is one reason to change. Another is the thermostat coil on the front gets corroded and doesn't respond as quickly. The silicone fluid inside looses its properties over time/miles and will cause the fan to slip more and cool less- this can be drained and replaced.

Generally speaking AISIN recommends replacing the fan clutch when replacing the fan bracket- which is a preventive service consideration during timing belt service.

The AISIN

The AISIN Fan Clutch is the preferred unit to go with, or you can go Toyota OEM, which is the same thing but for more money. The AISIN Fan Clutch will have a blue mounting plate just like the one in your picture. The fan does no appear to need replacement. Inspect it more thoroughly when you remove the fan and fan clutch. Fan clutches can be R&R'd and don't necessarily need to be replaced. Are you certain yours needs replacement? It does not appear to be that old from the pictures, what mileage do you have on the truck?
I am not sure if the fan clutch needs replacement. I plan to do this because I have to change the leaking radiator then it will be easier to change the fan clutch by the way.
My truck has 176k, and the clutch probably been changed at least once because that blue AISIN mount just learned from you.
What is the word "R&R'd" meaning?

Good advice-^^

The bearings fail (stays fully engaged) which is one reason to change. Another is the thermostat coil on the front gets corroded and doesn't respond as quickly. The silicone fluid inside looses its properties over time/miles and will cause the fan to slip more and cool less- this can be drained and replaced.

Generally speaking AISIN recommends replacing the fan clutch when replacing the fan bracket- which is a preventive service consideration during timing belt service.
I let a shop did my timing belt 8 months ago, he did not change the clutch for sure and I also don't have this knowledge about when to change it.
So did they have to change the fan bracket when they do timing belt change? (That timing belt job includes the water pump and matched idler and tensioner bearings, but either he or me not mention that the fan bracket)

Yeah if original, replacing fan bracket during TB install is a smart idea because you have to remove much of the same parts. Expensive in labor if it fails and you have to tear it down just for the bracket.

Btw the toyota fan clutch for the 2uzfe is blue its made by AISIN and the same part different box.

Yeah if original, replacing fan bracket during TB install is a smart idea because you have to remove much of the same parts. Expensive in labor if it fails and you have to tear it down just for the bracket.

Btw the toyota fan clutch for the 2uzfe is blue its made by AISIN and the same part different box.
So basically, if I don't tell the shop to change the bracket, they don't have to do this for the TB job, is this correct? And how about I change the fan clutch this time when I do the radiator? still good to do? (because you said the original OEM is also blue, so this clutch probably sit there for almost 20 years now)

The main concern for the fan clutch and fan bracket is failure of the bearings. The fan clutch bracket bearings seem to be more prone to failure. IMHO should probably replaced every 200k with TB service.

The main concern for the fan clutch and fan bracket is failure of the bearings. The fan clutch bracket bearings seem to be more prone to failure. IMHO should probably replaced every 200k with TB service.
Oh, it means I have missed the best chance...

View attachment 2577708View attachment 2577706
That’s an Aisin (OEM) fan clutch, which looks to be relatively new. I wouldn’t replace it yet...unless it fails the fan clutch tests.

That’s an Aisin (OEM) fan clutch, which looks to be relatively new. I wouldn’t replace it yet...unless it fails the fan clutch tests.
Ok, very direct question, could a bad fan lead to a leaking radiator because of overheat or overpressure based on bad air flow?

Ok, very direct question, could a bad fan lead to a leaking radiator because of overheat or overpressure based on bad air flow?
Very, very unlikely.

rebuild your fan clutch, no need to replace it.

Silicon oil, i'd go with 10k CST from a hobby shop... the 80 guys do this all the time. I swapped in 30k cst into my 80 fan clutch...

I did 15K cst in my blue hub 100 series fan clutch ( I live in a hot climate) and 20K in my blue hub 80 series clutch. Both seem to be just about right for my area (Texas).

Same- 15kCst

With a brand new FC I drained it and originally put in 20k cst and in the heat of summer it would stay locked up too long- so its was really good on the trail but not so good on the highway. I drained that and put 15k cst in to a more specific volume than before and its been perfect.

Thanks @flintknapper you provided some rth when I was originally doing my mod👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom