Solutions for better reverse lighting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed that my visibility at nighttime when reversing is quite poor--due in part by the fact that my spare tire/carrier now block one of the two reversing lights in the back of my truck.

Do you guys have any easy to implement solutions for increasing the lighting to the rear when in reverse.

The three ideas I've thought of so far:

1) Add a dedicated separate reversing light
2) Change the light bulp in the existing reversing light that is not blocked by my tire carrier/spare to a powerful LED solution
3) Install a licence plate frame that has reverse light LEDs (something like this: YouTube - CORVETTE C5 LED BACKUP LIGHTS with a little less corvette.) or http://v-leds.smugmug.com/General-Photos/LPF-High-Power-Backup-Plate/13771991_7Bd55#1007982399_8qWna

Of these, I like #2 from the perspective of ease of implementation (no new wires to run), but I wasn't sure on whether or not such powerful LED swap solutions exists that would really move the needle in light output from that single bulp.

For reference, my LX470 has two reverse lights that flank the license plate frame on each side.

mount a hella dual halogen work light on the top of the swingout. BOOM lighting solved.

I added a bunch of lights for reverse...but I dont have a swingout blocking anything.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on what "type" of light bulp would be required to replace the existing reverse light?

its a 7440 bulb. Check your email, I sent you a picture of my setup. I dont have the trunk in reverse, it's just the additional lights I installed. You could install one of them into your DS turn signal housing and when you put it in reverse....it'll double as a reverse light.

I have been thinking about the same thing - I can't see crap when backing up at night.

Yeah was just thinking that mounting them on the swing outs wouldn't work as I take them off during hunting season. Roof rack would be a good permanent location.

I've had this prob too since tinting my windows.

A thread in the 80s section discussing a solution without having to attach an aux. reverse lamp might be just what we need.

These bulbs are doin the trick for them:
2ccc78f7.jpg

They do have available 7440 apps for our 100s.

Can find them here,
Super Bright 7440 / 7443 Wedge Style LED Reverse Light Bulbs made with CREEâ„¢ LED Chips

My run-of-the-mill LED reverse lights are pretty much useless and I plan to upgrade to these.

Note the aux. rear lights that are triggered by the reverse switch.

subtank.jpg

Not being able to see when I reversed in my LX freaked me out, esp since I have two little ones. Additional lights are great; but a backup camera installed via licence plate ring seems like a better solution. I stuck my video monitor on the windshield behind my visor.

Does anybody have any experience with the Rigid Dually lights?

Dually

I was thinking a single "flood" version of the light, mounted in the middle of the rear bumper (using one of the CB mounts in the Slee rear bumper) might do the trick. I'm pretty sure that it would be bright enough, but I have a concern around whether or not the beam would be wide enough (I know there are two versions of the light: flood vs spot; but I'm not sure if the flood version is all that wide...)

Does anybody have any experience with the Rigid Dually lights?

Dually

I was thinking a single "flood" version of the light, mounted in the middle of the rear bumper (using one of the CB mounts in the Slee rear bumper) might do the trick. I'm pretty sure that it would be bright enough, but I have a concern around whether or not the beam would be wide enough (I know there are two versions of the light: flood vs spot; but I'm not sure if the flood version is all that wide...)

lol...uhm yeah they're on my bumper :flipoff2:. The flood is still pretty spotty, maybe the new 6LED version is better as a single one.

So I went ahead and bought these new high powered LEDs to replace my totally useless "high powered" LEDs and well, I'll let the pics do the talkin.

1st pic: New bulb on the left with projector type lens.

2nd pic: Driver side with old LED

3rd: Pass. side with new LED. Ridiculously bright in comparison.

I usually back into my driveway, and have to roll the windows down to see where I'm goin...not tonight though. Even with tinted windows these bulbs have solved my dimly lit reversing probs.
SAM_0370.jpg
SAM_0388.jpg
SAM_0387.jpg

What's the info on that bulb? Where did you get it

The only thing I do not like about those LED's is the color. It's too blue. My high end flashlights have a warm tint or white tint. Then you have you cheap crappy flashlights from the hardware store that have the blue tint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom