Solid axle swap on 100 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a thought that has been going through my head for a while.. I really love the guts of the 80 series. Mostly the solid front axle. But love the comfort of the 100. Would I be better off somehow getting ahold of a 80 frame and putting the body of the 100 on it or just doing the swap? Thoughts ??

I would wait for @TRAIL TAILOR to finish refining his SAS kit

AND................... The 100 series SAS kit is born..

This set up is going in my ELE rig for a final test fit. 4" Trail Tailor TourFlex tapered wire coils, 9 stage adjustable EXTENDED 45mm bore Tough Dog foamcells, XHD steering stabilizer, 105 5 lug Toyota hubs (NO WHEEL ADAPTERS HERE), Aisin freewheel hubs, Nitro/RCV axles, 105 rotors, 100 ceramic coat calipers and Akebono ceramic pads, 80 radius arms and bushes, 4:88s, ARB air locker, 80 box, custom steering shaft and joints and the new Trail Tailor bracket kit with frame strengthening plates and steering box sleeves.

(Tough Dog adjustable panhards not pictured)

J

View attachment 2383325View attachment 2383326View attachment 2383327View attachment 2383328View attachment 2383329

Just a thought that has been going through my head for a while.. I really love the guts of the 80 series. Mostly the solid front axle. But love the comfort of the 100. Would I be better off somehow getting ahold of a 80 frame and putting the body of the 100 on it or just doing the swap? Thoughts ??

Does the IFS not perform good enough on the type of trails you drive on?

I don't know that it is necessarily that... I think some people want something different that "ultimately" has less moving parts. I know that seems odd but that is kinda my realization on what I miss about my 60. And honestly, Toyota made the 105 everywhere else in the US and it is incredibly popular. So kinda the next "offroad" evolution of the 100 in that regard.

Not OP, but no. In my experience, it's been pretty capable but at the expense of replacing ball joints every 20-30K and steering racks at 40K. For better or worse, this 100 has felt a little delicate compared to SFA cruisers I've owned in the past. I think it's either going to be Jason's kit for me, or selling it and going back in time a bit.

@nukegoat is right BTW

I don't know that it is necessarily that... I think some people want something different that "ultimately" has less moving parts. I know that seems odd but that is kinda my realization on what I miss about my 60. And honestly, Toyota made the 105 everywhere else in the US and it is incredibly popular. So kinda the next "offroad" evolution of the 100 in that regard.
Not OP, but no. In my experience, it's been pretty capable but at the expense of replacing ball joints every 20-30K and steering racks at 40K. For better or worse, this 100 has felt a little delicate compared to SFA cruisers I've owned in the past. I think it's either going to be Jason's kit for me, or selling it and going back in time a bit.

@nukegoat is right BTW

I mean sure, I get that. If you have the skill and budget for it then why not. But if your just driving forest roads and some trails then maybe not needed, which led me to my question of does the IFS not perform well enough for what the OP does.

I mean sure, I get that. If you have the skill and budget for it then why not. But if your just driving forest roads and some trails then maybe not needed, which led me to my question of does the IFS not perform well enough for what the OP does.

Yeah for forest roads and light trails, it's a pretty good setup.

I used to think the same thing but as I got more experience wheeling on the more difficult trails where you’re locking up, bumping up ledges, crawling over and around rocks, and fitting 35s, a solid axle would be amazing. For now I’m doing ok but I do wonder when something’s gonna break. Also the extra lift and flex in the front would make some trails so much easier - I’ve struggled up some trails in my 2” lift on 35s, triple locked, that my friends triple locked 80 on 37s with a 4” lift just walked right up

but yes if you stick to forest roads, keep the IFS. It’s a great durable setup

I used to think the same thing but as I got more experience wheeling on the more difficult trails where you’re locking up, bumping up ledges, crawling over and around rocks, and fitting 35s, a solid axle would be amazing. For now I’m doing ok but I do wonder when something’s gonna break. Also the extra lift and flex in the front would make some trails so much easier - I’ve struggled up some trails in my 2” lift on 35s, triple locked, that my friends triple locked 80 on 37s with a 4” lift just walked right up

but yes if you stick to forest roads, keep the IFS. It’s a great durable setup
Yeah for sure, if your doing sh*t like that the idea of a solid front is pretty cool. Back to my original comment, what does @AndersonDin really up to. Is he going to go hammer down some aggressive rock covered trails on 35s, or is he going to SAS and take it down trails that most stock cruiser can do.

Yeah for sure, if your doing sh*t like that the idea of a solid front is pretty cool. Back to my original comment, what does @AndersonDin really up to. Is he going to go hammer down some aggressive rock covered trails on 35s, or is he going to SAS and take it down trails that most stock cruiser can do.
Given that he's 17 years old, I doubt it's a deep thought

Given that he's 17 years old, I doubt it's a deep thought
Skin deep, maybe.

He did destroy his passenger side front end 6 months or so ago. Some of us donated quite a few suspension and steering parts so that he could get back up and running for next to nothing. At this point, I’d say he’s at least familiar enough with the IFS to know it’s limitations relative to what he wants to do.

Skin deep, maybe.

He did destroy his passenger side front end 6 months or so ago. Some of us donated quite a few suspension and steering parts so that he could get back up and running for next to nothing. At this point, I’d say he’s at least familiar enough with the IFS to know it’s limitations relative to what he wants to do.
Oh I remember that. Fair enough.

I like how people casually recommend “just SAS it”, like it’s something you just throw together over a couple weekends. How many SAS 100s even exist in the US? How reliable and driveable are they? I’ve given this some thought but do not want to ruin my truck with something I probably don’t need to begin with. The more you “build” your trucks and cars the more they end up sitting in your garage from what I’ve experienced. Look at all the high horsepower car builds, they become garage queens because they’re un-driveable on the streets. Same with all these Jeeps on 40s, unless you’re living somewhere that has trails that require that, what’s the point? My friend had a JK on 40s to drive to the mall, when he let me drive it, I felt like the biggest d-bag being behind the wheel of that tank on these nice suburban roads.

I love my SAS 100. It is completely streetable, is a daily driver, did carpool duty when school existed....and I drove it to work today since the A/C doesn't work in my Stupid Saturn commuter car.

Building the axle was the hardest part. The actual solid axle swap isn't much more different than any other SAS....just cut off brackets, mount a steering box, make/install suspension of your choice. Not the easiest overall task, but not any more difficult than other, similar jobs. (Toyota mini trucks/4runners being the most common probably)

I like how people casually recommend “just SAS it”, like it’s something you just throw together over a couple weekends. How many SAS 100s even exist in the US? How reliable and driveable are they? I’ve given this some thought but do not want to ruin my truck with something I probably don’t need to begin with. The more you “build” your trucks and cars the more they end up sitting in your garage from what I’ve experienced. Look at all the high horsepower car builds, they become garage queens because they’re un-driveable on the streets. Same with all these Jeeps on 40s, unless you’re living somewhere that has trails that require that, what’s the point? My friend had a JK on 40s to drive to the mall, when he let me drive it, I felt like the biggest d-bag being behind the wheel of that tank on these nice suburban roads.
You must not know much about @nukegoat and his builds. Checkout his Hammersaurus Lex and then come back.

And to my point, nuke goat is not daily driving that truck now is he haha.

I resent and agree with this. The Lexus has no driveability problems really at this point, but it's unnecessary for roads. I wouldn't daily a stock 100 either, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom