So upgraded birfs..... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nothing is needed on the 80's On the 40's and I think mini trucks they made their birf slightly larger than stock outside diameter so you have to align the flats and in some cases even grind the housing just a tiny bit to get it in.

Not sure what point you're making. RCV's "upgrade" kit seems to indicate that with their axles and CVs no other mod is necessary. Just the trimming warning.

Not sure what point you're making. RCV's "upgrade" kit seems to indicate that with their axles and CVs no other mod is necessary. Just the trimming warning.
Its not 6 splines worse than the 30 spline. Its different

Nothing is needed on the 80's On the 40's and I think mini trucks they made their birf slightly larger than stock outside diameter so you have to align the flats and in some cases even grind the housing just a tiny bit to get it in.
Thank you! That's what I was looking for. I just noticed their axle ends don't have the ABS collar on them. Does this come off the OEM and get installed on the new axles?

24 spline is a different diametrical pitch btw
"diametral pitch" is a term used with gears, not axle shafts - IIRC
Its not 6 splines worse than the 30 spline. Its different
I think what you're trying to say from your 2 posts is that the 30 spline and the 24 spline are different diameters. I understood that already from the RCP Ultimate CV axle set website when they said that their axle eliminates the need to neck down the shaft. Bigger and stronger - 30 spline at each end. So the new RCP supplied axle ends or CVs accommodate the larger 30 spline axle shafts. Basically replacing entire axle shaft assemblies from 3rd to hub.

Comes off the OEM birfields and onto the new birfs.

Thank you! That's what I was looking for. I just noticed their axle ends don't have the ABS collar on them. Does this come off the OEM and get installed on the new axles?

I think what you're trying to say from your 2 posts is that the 30 spline and the 24 spline are different diameters. I understood that already from the RCP Ultimate CV axle set website when they said that their axle eliminates the need to neck down the shaft. Bigger and stronger - 30 spline at each end. So the new RCP supplied axle ends or CVs accommodate the larger 30 spline axle shafts. Basically replacing entire axle shaft assemblies from 3rd to hub.

Comes off the OEM birfields and onto the new birfs.
Ok, thanks! Since this "Ultimate CV axle set" from RCP is chromoly, Im wondering about running them on an overlanding rig with full time 4x4 setup. I've read somewhere that chromoly is made for part time.

You read that in this thread. lol. If you are going to try and get 100,000 miles on them I wouldn't go with the ultimate rcv set. I would get a hold of one of the other venders listed and get something a little harder.

Ok, thanks! Since this "Ultimate CV axle set" from RCP is chromoly, Im wondering about running them on an overlanding rig with full time 4x4 setup. I've read somewhere that chromoly is made for part time.

Last edited:
You read that in this thread. lol
Hmmm, maybe so - I guess it was with the comments about the seals wearing the axle prematurely. But I'm sure it was also in another, older thread, too. Yeah, I think it was the same reason...lol. Now I'll have to decide if I can live with that. Overland rigs will pile up the mileage.

I was looking around for my old emails to see specific details but couldn't find them. I may or may not have the numbers exact but I think OEM axles were rockwell hardened to like 62-68 and the Longfields were 48-55 or something.

Hmmm, maybe so - I guess it was with the comments about the seals wearing the axle prematurely. But I'm sure it was also in another, older thread, too. Yeah, I think it was the same reason...lol. Now I'll have to decide if I can live with that. Overland rigs will pile up the mileage.

Last edited:
I was looking around for my old emails to see specific details but couldn't find them. I may or may not have the numbers exact but I think OEM axles were rockwell hardened to like 60-62 and the Longfields were 48-50.
Yeah, I'll see how they look when I open them up. I was thinking about just upgrading to stronger axles for longevity. They've got 275K on 'em. The inner seals were replaced at around 125K, before I bought it, back in 1998. Been running Amsoil Severe gear oil and not had any leaks or birf soup. I keep them well greased, too. I'll be curious to see how it's wearing. My rear pinion seal is leaking and that's the main reason I'm tearing into the axles. Figure while I'm into the 3rds, upgrade to 5.29s, install Harrop lockers and was seriously considering the front axles, after reading through this thread. Be a good time to do it if I'm gonna...lol.

The point of this thread was that strength and longevity are not the same. Bobby Longfield said the strong birfs should be good for 60,000ish miles. Your OEM birfs are not as strong but have been good for 275,000 miles. If you’re not going to 37’s or larger or adding a lot of power and it’s going to be an overland truck go OEM or OEM replacement.

The point of this thread was that strength and longevity are not the same. Bobby Longfield said the strong birfs should be good for 60,000ish miles. Your OEM birfs are not as strong but have been good for 275,000 miles. If you’re not going to 37’s or larger or adding a lot of power and it’s going to be an overland truck go OEM or OEM replacement.

What’s a good OEM replacement? Terain Tamer?

I don’t really know. I have only done Longfield/RCV and stock. But I think the Terrain Tamer and Nitro are both somewhere between those two as far as wear and strength go. I would call one of the venders that carries them and ask.

What’s a good OEM replacement? Terain Tamer?

I just got a set of Nitro Gear’s CVs. I contacted them about grease.

I just got your Toyota Land Cruiser, 80 Series, 30/24(big)/30 Spline, Front, Nitro Chromoly Birfield Axle Kit! :)

What grease do you recommend for it to help get the most life out of them? Or what specs should I look for. Just “moly” and “EP”?

I was looking at this:

Synthetic Polymeric Off-Road Grease, NLGI #2

Or this:

Red Line 80402 CV-2 Synthetic Grease

I see that RCV sells some for $40 a tube, without saying anything about the actual grease specs. As if they are taking $8-12 synthetic moly grease and charging 4 times as much for it. :-/

The reply:

High Moly content is good. you don’t need the RCV grease. Even w/ OEM spec is ok, as ours have slightly harder inner bearings/cage for more wear resistance than some other chromoly.

I used the Redline CV2 to pack my birfs and housings.

I did pull my RCV birfs down and clean them really well since I was unsure what grease they used or if it would be compatible with the Redline CV2.

1417560715963-jpg.1000475

1418171386289-jpg.1003570

1418172332918-jpg.1003580

No i am saying 24 spline isnt necessarily worse than 30 spline.

So....reading through this and having not yet torn into the axles of my '94 with 275K mi on it, got me to thinking (that's usually dangerous and/or expensive...lol). I'm thinking, going with 5.29s for my own reasons, and the oem 30 - 24 spline neckdown on the front axles is a weak point. I'm trying to upgrade for strength running larger tires and pulling an off road trailer for overlanding. The stock 9.5" & rear axles should be fine. Noticed on the rcv website a warning: "Some trimming may be required depending on the application". What are they talking about? Any other tips when replacing oem with these? I'm keeping the full time setup for now. Being that they're "using only high-strength chromoly materials" is this a bad idea for longevity? I've heard that chromoly is best used on a part time setup, where they're not spining constantly.
...and trimming a hardened shaft isn't like trimming your toenails. Just sayin'.

A spline is a gear with a really long face length. @nukegoat is correct.

I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything. Just trying to get opinions.

No i am saying 24 spline isnt necessarily worse than 30 spline.
Depends on your definition of worse...lol. I'd say 30 spline is stonger, though, if it's a larger diameter shaft. But if it's same diameter, I think I'd agree.

...and trimming a hardened shaft isn't like trimming your toenails. Just sayin'.
I think the "trimming" part is refering to the axle housing, not the shaft.

A spline is a gear with a really long face length. @nukegoat is correct.
Ok, so what's his point? My point was trying to get him to simplify what he was saying. You know - layman's terms. So when I googled "diametral pitch", they're talking gears. I was assuming that a 30 spline on an axle end, made it larger diameter. That's what I thought RCP was suggesting when they mentioned necking down to 24 spline. So is the 24 spline end just bigger splines with the same diameter as the 30 spline end? If so, RCP is misleading using the term "necking down", IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom