So upgraded birfs..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wish I could wheel with you guys

Well, come on out, damn it! We won’t even make you pull the trailer? In that pic I have over 4000# on the hitch! It’s a whole new kinda wheeling, for sure. Amazingly, I never spun a tire, or took s strap, all day.

The stock shaft doesn't significantly "neck down" both ends are about the same size. Spline count differs, size is about the same. Even if it were weaker in the outer end, which end would you prefer to break? With an outer break, can slide the axle out and replace, inner, would need to remove the diff. With an "ultimate" axle setup, more likely to break the diff, if something is going to break, I would prefer an axle/birf, leaves more options and easier to trail repair.

For a touring/camping type rig, what are you trying to fix? For your intended use, when have stock type axles ever been a problem? We have done lots of dumb stuff, often, other than a couple of old, clicker birfs, have gotten away with it. Note the cargo in the trailer, rocks, heavy ones, as far as I know, those axles/birfs came from the factory, in that rig, about 200K mi ago. :hillbilly:

View attachment 1639358
Are you saying that Aisin standard hubs are stronger than the 8” diff? Even in reverses gear? Most of us know better than to reverse, diff locked, wheels turned sharply and up hill out of a bind. Besides, in the 4 years I’ve been polluting Mud with my posts, I have seen several instances where a stock axle survived but the ring&pinion was lost while in reverse gear. I don’t remember seeing this happen while in forward gear.

I run standard Aisin hubs rather than upgrading them with 4340 or 300m internals in hopes that the hubs are my weakest point since going to RCV’s.

Minor detail, but they are manufactured in Rockford, Illinois. Hence the name, Rockford Constant Velocity. Much smaller facility than you would expect in person, but an amazing company to deal with. There is no higher strength IMHO and they are overkill for most, but they are soft.
Thanks for the clarification, I don’t usually make mistakes. :hillbilly:

Well, you have to be bad ass to wheel there apparently......

No worries, there are plenty of groomed/graded trails, so you would be fine! :hillbilly:

Arizona is high on my list because of all the mud buddies down there and a co-worker who is a jeep creep in the Phoenix area but I think AZ wheeling just slipped a few spots on my list because I’m moving 600 miles north next month. I understand the PNW has good trails too.

Back to tech: is Valvoline Palladium good enough grease for RCV birf’s? Anyone?

Last edited:
The stock shaft doesn't significantly "neck down" both ends are about the same size. Spline count differs, size is about the same. Even if it were weaker in the outer end, which end would you prefer to break?
Outside - if it's gunna break...lol, but hopefully axle's not the weak point. Your info on size of shaft is helpful. I was thinking that it was significantly smaller diameter at outside spline. With going to 5.29s, driveline from 3rd to hubs will possibly experience more torque than oem designed it for. But, sounds like if axle and cv are healthy, weak link(s) could be elsewhere. I've not torn into axles yet, so I was asking for opinions from experienced mudders.
With an outer break, can slide the axle out and replace, inner, would need to remove the diff. With an "ultimate" axle setup, more likely to break the diff, if something is going to break, I would prefer an axle/birf, leaves more options and easier to trail repair.
I like your reasoning.

For a touring/camping type rig, what are you trying to fix? For your intended use, when have stock type axles ever been a problem? We have done lots of dumb stuff, often, other than a couple of old, clicker birfs, have gotten away with it. Note the cargo in the trailer, rocks, heavy ones, as far as I know, those axles/birfs came from the factory, in that rig, about 200K mi ago. :hillbilly:
From the pic, looks similar to overlanding...lol. Glad to hear stock should hold up for my use. My aim was to prepare drive train for additional stress before breaking it on a trail with a group of overlanders in the middle of nowhere. I'm going to be tearing into both axles soon. I got rebuild kits for both from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. While they're apart I want to take advantage of the opportunity & do all I can, considering the mileage - 275K. New R&Ps, seals, bearings and evaluate condition of everything from pinion seals to grease caps on hubs, that's not replaced. Ken (Zuk), will be doing both my 3rds - and installing Harrop e-lockers also, since my 80 didn't have the oem e-lockers. Thanks for your input.

I think a 24 spline is plenty strong enough; that’s what did this and it was used on the next birf which went in as well.

That said, I run the 30 spline. They came with the axles though.

Correction, I have 24 spline crap too. I’m so screwed.

@scottryana did you pull that thing apart yet to show us the grooves in that soft metal?

68C58267-D877-4B04-B5CC-03F943628F95.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom