So, best brand of cordless power tools to get (re)started with today? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a Milwaukee 3/4 drive Impact, drill & impact driver. Absolutely love them. Battery life is good, tools function great and they are really robust.

Ever since I got my 3/4 drive impact I haven't touched my air impact and have yet to see it unable to break a bolt loose.

I had a Makita drill that fell about 25' once, I was able to glue it back together and it still worked.
I just discovered this little guy;

If they come out with an espresso machine, I won't be able to resist...

I've seen some reviews here and there about the inherent forces of the big impact guns wrecking the battery retention portion of the tool. To me, all of the big names have essentially the same method of attaching an 18v,20v,etc battery to the tool.
I broke down and ordered the 3/8 stubby m12 gun while it was on sale. I will post some thoughts over in the tools thread once I use it.

Ryobi, Ridgid, and Milwaukee are all made by the same company, in three different grades. Homeowner, Hobby, and Professional.

Dewalt is rapidly losing market share to Milwaukee Cordless. Dewalt was probably a good company 30 years ago, before Black & Decker bought them.

Out here, you'll only see Milwaukee at job sites, maybe Makita or Dewalt if its anything older.

Milwaukee M18 is the way to go, FUEL brushless for anything in heavy use. M12 is great for smaller tools, like compact impacts, 3" grinder, etc.

I've used Dewalt for 25 years in carpentry, to me they are the best for the money. I've used Makita, porter cable, ridgid, etc as well and they are ok. The Dewalt 20v max system has never let me down, with the one exception of the weed eater, it didn't last one season for yardwork. Only milwaukee I've used were the corded sawzall's and they are very good.

Got started with DeWalt 18V when we bought our new home. Now have a couple drills, 1/2" impact, and a saber saw. Bought a Milwaukee M12 Drill/Driver combo while going to a desert race because we needed to drill a hole. Am impressed enough with the M12 and disappointed enough with the DeWalt batteries that I'm starting to migrate over to all Milwaukee tools.

I've been a fan of makita for a number of years now. But, tried some milwaukee stuff and it's pretty dang nice! As I look for new tools now, I'm going right to milwaukee. I was given some of their m12 drils and drivers a few years ago-and they keep up with my 18v makita's. I then brought one of the m18 milwaukee string trimmers-and that sealed it for me. Just picked up the m18 supersawzall-that heavy beast has been cutting everything like it's butter.

Here's something to think about when comparing tools. Especially older vs new if the batteries have different sizes (and of course brushless vs brushed).
Known but good to see numbers (go straight to the end)

(I do recall some vids about impact wrenches where the smaller battery could not get the lugs off, but the bigger one could, a more dramatic effect)

Just picked up the m18 supersawzall-that heavy beast has been cutting everything like it's butter.

I have one of those too, and love it. Will probably buy more tools in M18 line when the opportunity/need arises.

I have to throw a shoutout to Metabo. I love their grinders. The ones made in Germany only. There is a Metabo line made in China that is just a rebranded Hitachi.

Be careful with the name brand tools sold in the big box stores and pay attention to the model numbers. Many of them are made only for the big box and have cheaper materials, features and weaker batteries although they may look the same.

Last edited:
Those who know me know I'm a big time Milwaukee fan. I picked up the M12 fuel 3/8 Stubby impact a few weeks ago and love it so much that I just bought a 2nd one. You can do a whole knuckle rebuild other then the lug nuts with it

I am a bit of a Makita fan myself, but really don't have enough hands-on experience with other brands to have an educated opinion about which is best. Probably not too many folks who have extensive experience with all brands, I imagine.

From what I have read recently, it is noteworthy, though, that posts on this site do suggest a higher level of enthusiasm for Milwaukee than for other brands.

(But then again, hot-blooded males typically prefer fire red over pastel colors, I take it... :D)

Finally got a chance to try out my new toy today, this thing kicks butt.

IMG_20200320_112249.jpg

For the cordless tools, all of them have outlasted their batteries in my experience. Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Rigid, Porter Cable etc. The replacement batteries are so expensive, you can just buy another tool with new batteries. The lithium batteries may finally outlast the tool. We'll see. They are going on about 5 years now.

Indeed, I have not had a tool that conked out before the batteries it came with. The lithium cells themselves will last a very long time if handled properly, though. It seems probable that it's actually less than optimal chargers and protection circuits in the batteries that do them in. Hopefully, those circuits have gotten better over the last 10 yrs.

well, well. Here I was gushing about how Makita was taking a different approach by sticking with the 18V batteries (if doubled at time) which I liked and now I just learned that they are coming out with a 40V platform, of course incompatible with the 18V one. More to decide about now. Sheesh. Oh well...

To be honest, I often do wonder at those big packages in general (not just Milwaukee) as being questionable deals. Not only do they usually include tools you may use very little, but they are often bottom level tools (e.g. not brushless, not High output batteries, low lumens etc). I think the individual lead loss holiday or big sale event is often a better way to go, those may be actually cheap for what you get, you can choose which specific tool you want, can mix and match, and get fresh batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom