So, best brand of cordless power tools to get (re)started with today?

e9999

You want to do what...?

I have a bunch of cordless power tools from different brands but mostly Rigid (not entirely by choice really, but quite happy with them actually).
I'm wondering about the best brand of tools to get started with today, considering the investment in an essentially closed system with proprietary batteries.
What prompted this was a post I saw recently that basically said that Makita and Dewalt are serious hobbyist/contractor grade but Milwaukee is a notch above. Which seemed surprising to me, as I always thought of those 3 as being roughly in the same category.
So, if somebody were to start or restart with some brand, disregarding already-owned tools, which one would be the best, everything considered, you think? (Yes, I realize this is rather subjective)
Me, I have a soft spot for Makita, in no small part for their sweet little top handle chainsaws... And I have had very good luck with Makita indeed. But I can't vouch that they are better than Dewalt or Milwaukee, really.

So, what brand, in your opinion? And why?

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor

I started with Dewalt, Porter, Hitachi, they didn't last. Went to Milwaukee, never looked back. Use variety of tools for all sorts of things, I am sold.

If I were to start over, I'd give a hard look at the HF Bauer set. Lower price and has great reviews. Not a HF fan usually but there are exceptions. But compare with Milwaukee , they seem to be the top dog IMO.

The only thing I don't like is their batteries are $$$. GL

e9999

You want to do what...?

^ doesn't HF market their Hercules line as better quality than the Bauer? (It is more limited now, it seems, though, but that is likely to change with time, I imagine.)

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor

Could be, I just see lots of ads about Bauer. Somewhere on here a long time ago, like 7-8 years or so, @davegonz found a review on which reciprocating saw (could have been an angle grinder) was best. He compared 6 different brands and the Milwaukee won and convinced me to switch. The fella's site was dedicated to tool reviews, can't find it though.

If you do go with Milwaukee, the best bang is to get a large package of stuff, like $800-1000, the cost per unit is much lower than individually. Look for northern coupons and when they go on sale.

Efjayforty

SILVER Star
I am a big fan of Makita. I have most of their cordless tools and I have never replaced a tool because it broke or wore out and I use about them about has hard as anyone. I won't own another yellow Black and Decker, aka Dewalt. I know people who love them but I must be too hard on my tools or have been unlucky as they never last. I switched from Milwaukee cordless to Makita cordless about 10 years ago because of problems with Milwaukee batteries but none of my Milwaukee cordless tools had the newer battery systems. I have several Milwaukee corded tools that are great. The reason I switched to Makita is I went to Kennedy Space Center and the videos show astronauts using Makita tools so I figured if they were good enough for NASA then they were good enough for me. I have Makita batteries that are 10 years old and still work but they don't hold a charge as well as some of my newer ones.

gnob

Did some work a couple years ago. All day long with drills or impact guns, all day.
Milwaukee. Styt was so good i bought some for myself.

e9999

You want to do what...?

any thoughts on which system (considering all the tools options) is more extensive nowadays and may have important tools that others don't?

Or issues like battery implementation direction (2x18V tools vs 40V-only tools for example)?

Milwaukee all the way. I've been growing my collection of their tools for some ~6 years, and while I'm purely a hobbyist, they've never let me down.

Top Bottom