So, best brand of cordless power tools to get (re)started with today? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That often may be the case. I haven’t done enough research.

However, this includes their high end brushless tools. What sold me on this one is the inclusion of the 1/2 inch high impact torque wrench, which is usually $300 or $400 just for the tool. In this kit, you get 2 batteries and the charger as well. So, for the original price of one tool, you get an additional 9.

I also was in the market for a cordless circular saw, because I use that all the time to cut firewood.

Hopefully this lives up to all the hype and I get years of use out of them!

This may just be the super deal for you then. Enjoy!

This may just be the super deal for you then. Enjoy!

Ha! I’ll hope so. If it is junk, I’ll report back here so people can learn from my mistake!

one just can't beat the fun of unboxing and testing a bunch of new power tools...

I'm thinking to make the M12 tools that I posted about earlier in this thread a more or less permanent part of the fit-out of the Blanc-Oh! As such I'm looking at inverters to add to the console extension that I need to build. Need to look into what the M18 charger's draw is because one part of the Blanc-Oh's role is desert race support and I foresee adding a cordless impact to the list. I don't think my existing DeWalt will make the grade. It's not bad, but it's not as good as that Milwaukee that I used several years ago.

To be honest, I often do wonder at those big packages in general (not just Milwaukee) as being questionable deals. Not only do they usually include tools you may use very little, but they are often bottom level tools (e.g. not brushless, not High output batteries, low lumens etc). I think the individual lead loss holiday or big sale event is often a better way to go, those may be actually cheap for what you get, you can choose which specific tool you want, can mix and match, and get fresh batteries.

I stand corrected, sir. You are correct in your research. They are obviously not the fuel line, but are also not brushless, which has me concerned.

Not exceptionally knowledgeable in this arena. Worth cancelling the order and spending more for the brushless? I'm a DIY mechanic, so they will not see every day use.

I really just want the high torque impact and the circular saw.

Thoughts?

I stand corrected, sir. You are correct in your research. They are obviously not the fuel line, but are also not brushless, which has me concerned.

Not exceptionally knowledgeable in this arena. Worth cancelling the order and spending more for the brushless? I'm a DIY mechanic, so they will not see every day use.

I really just want the high torque impact and the circular saw.

Thoughts?

I have run both the fuel and non-fuel versions of the m18 drill, impact driver, and 1/2 impact, and would always recommend the fuel versions. The non-fuel drill feels much weaker, and really doesn't pull as hard, and it's the same for the impact. I haven't really run the non-fuel impact driver much, but the fuel impact driver really goes through stuff. I also have a 7" fuel grinder, and it pulls just about as hard as a corded grinder if the battery is above 1/2.

Anyways, I would go fuel all the way, even if you don't always need the performance, it is nice to have it if you need it.

I would also invest in a few more 5 amp hour batteries, cause you will always be using them.

It has a free 'mid torque' 1/2 impact with it. so only 450 ft/lbs fastening and 600 lbs breakout torque.

Ends tomorrow.

Last edited:
Those who know me know I'm a big time Milwaukee fan. I picked up the M12 fuel 3/8 Stubby impact a few weeks ago and love it so much that I just bought a 2nd one. You can do a whole knuckle rebuild other then the lug nuts with it
Same here. I bought a set of Dewalt tools about 12 years ago that has been more good than bad but the batteries are all dead now and some of the tools are plain worn out. My last two employers have been buying Milwaukee stuff and I've been happy with how it has been holding up so I started to make the switch at home a couple of weeks ago by buying an M12 fuel drill and driver as well as a 3/8 stubby impact. All three are amazingly good performers for their size.

Ocho, it's all about your needs. If you don't have high power or high torque demands and don't need the extra runtime, you may be perfectly happy with the lower end tools. Remember that a lot of the folks here are into tools and may well go overboard with performance wants. Including me :). So, I would rather buy the couple of tools I need in a better model than load up on a bunch that may see little use and are not that satisfying to own and use, but that's just me and YMMV. (I actually own a fairly large set like what you were talking about, that I got used for a song, but the reality is I only use a couple on a semi-frequent basis, and most others only once a year or so.)

The Home Depot Milwaukee tools are not the same part numbers as the ones you get at the professional tool houses like what was said above. I never believed it until the repair guy showed me the internals of the two identical looking drills.

I always keep my old drills and batteries that are shot because about once a year Milwaukee runs $100 off special If you trade your old stuff in. So the price for the better made tools ends up about the same price or cheaper than the big box store prices. Metabo tools made in Germany are also very nice, I have a bunch of corded grinders so I don’t have to change out the disks on each one. The rebranded hitachi stuff not so much.

Ok I agree on the Milwaukee for home stuff and some shop stuff For the money.. on the top end the best stuff I have used is hilti great batteries solid tools,

on grinders the makita 5 inch rat tail, made in the USA and will take a beating and are not hard on your hands and wrists...

My dad got me into Bosch 18v which I am still with. But the Milwaukee M12 and M18 line look really enticing, especially the cordless ratchets.

I haven’t had any issues with my Bosch tools or batteries. But Bosch has been really slow at adding brushless options to their line.

I have a few Bosch tools and they are good (jigsaw, sander, planer). I find the 18V Makita drill is often too big for most jobs, so I was kinda thinking about getting something smaller. Then last summer this was on special for $99 on Amazon, so I went for it:

Amazon product ASIN B074GYX6XG
It does exactly what I wanted, small drilling jobs, and the multi heads have been handy a few times, and it easily fits in a tool belt. But it has an annoying habit of self-ejecting the chuck off the front of the motor, without warning. It somehow unlocks itself, then pops off when you don't expect it. Like... when you are on top of a tall ladder or staging. So annoying!! Would not buy again.

My new Makita garage:

IMG_20200606_111825.jpg

The only Makita tool I've had to get repaired was a right-angle drill, the switch let out it's smoke when I was drilling studs for romex. Rather than mess with it, I dropped it off at a local tool repair place, and the first thing he asked me was where I bought it. He told me if it was a HD purchase, I should just toss it. But, since it wasn't, he put a new switch in.

If you take a tool with the same number into the store and hold them side by side, it will feel different. I do have a Makita recip saw from HD, bought it for a project in a hurry, and it just feels cheaper.

This I have found to be true for ALL makes for tools, especially the "black Friday" tool specials.

I got a DeWalt 12" saw with bench and the same part sold normally was way better built than the black-Friday part with the same number.

I have now switch to Mikita, mostly because of the battery life and the huge availability of tools. Example I have electric chain saw, lawn mower, string trimmer, plus a bunch of other power tools and they all use the same batteries.

I bought a bunch of dewalt tools about 10 to 12 years ago.
Have used on and off for variety of things. Basic homeowner stuff to putting a circle saw through a 1/4" steel (fog lights in my new bumper).
Several drills, circle saw (6 1/2"), reciprocal saw, 1/8 impact driver, 1/2 impact, skill saw, grinder.... The list just kept growing. The only one that ever died was the reciprocal saw, and it spent a lot of time trimming tree and getting left outside when it shouldn't have been (wife and kid used it a lot). (it also did time in some deck demolition and turning a parts car into small enough pieces to avoid getting a trailer to deliver to recycle).

As the nicad batteries fell out of use industry wide, Dewalt started offering Lithium Ion. For a short time they sold 18v Lithium Ion, I bought several, but don't see them for sale anymore. And then they started selling 18v to 20v adapters, so I can buy new batteries for my 12 year old tools.

And then they started selling these 60v tools, with larger heavies batteries that also worked on 20v tools. I needed a trimmer, it works as well as the gas one it replaced. I got the chainsaw, it's as powerful as any other consumer marketed 18" bar saws, and it just works ever time we put a battery in it, no maintenance (sharpen the chain).

They have a huge range of tools. But not the convenient milwaulkie ratchet or 3/8 impact or die grinder I've seen that looks pretty useful and cool. They probably aren't the best, but have worked good enough for me. And the bunch of Lithium Ion batteries that I bought, that must be 7 or 8 years old now, are still going strong. (all the old nicad batteries I had that were starting to fade after only 3 or 4 years, or less, were stolen).

I have a few Bosch tools and they are good (jigsaw, sander, planer). I find the 18V Makita drill is often too big for most jobs, so I was kinda thinking about getting something smaller. Then last summer this was on special for $99 on Amazon, so I went for it:

Amazon product ASIN B074GYX6XG
It does exactly what I wanted, small drilling jobs, and the multi heads have been handy a few times, and it easily fits in a tool belt. But it has an annoying habit of self-ejecting the chuck off the front of the motor, without warning. It somehow unlocks itself, then pops off when you don't expect it. Like... when you are on top of a tall ladder or staging. So annoying!! Would not buy again.

My new Makita garage:

View attachment 2368878
your metal brackets for hanging your stuff are awesome. I just cut out slots in the wood shelf for mine. Nice work!!!!

IMG_5900.JPG

Sooo e9999? Where are you with this? I too have been considering a shift but I have so much invested in Dewalt it is hard to switch. Since I shifted from working as a tradesman every day to management I don't use my tools like I used to. Mainly just truck and around the house projects.

Since I manage building buildings and such I see a lot of different trades using all kinds of stuff. Being a tool enthusiast I am always asking questions and having conversations with them to see whats better out there.

Milwaukee definitely leads the pack out there seeing about 80-85% of folks using these. Following closely by Dewalt and Mikita. Hilti has started making a serious presence but their stuff has typically been way over priced. Hilti, if I remember correctly, may also rent/lease these tools to the Company and have a tracking chip in case of theft.

I have also been of the opinion that your tools will last longer when they are not abused. I don't mean don't use them as they are intended but I see people just throw their stuff around and not really taking care of them. I am in the camp of using my stuff as intended but not abusing them.

I have a few Milwaukee and lots of Dewalt stuff. I do see a slight difference in quality with Milwaukee leading.

Love these types of threads and what MUD can bring to the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom