Snorkel Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the market for a snorkel for my ‘93 KZJ78. Searches on the internet and eBay bring up all kinds of options, but it it is a crap shoot trying to decipher what companies and what products are quality. Does anybody have any recommendations based on research or recent purchases?
Thanks!

OEM is good
Safari Snorkels are good

After that it starts becoming more questionable 😁
I’m sure others have had good luck with eBay stuff, but usually complaints of fitment issues and brittle plastic come up. You are pretty safe with the above.

Are you in the market for a snorkel or raised air intake? (Think of it as a violin or fiddle question .... same instruments but used differently)

Are you in the market for a snorkel or raised air intake? (Think of it as a violin or fiddle question .... same instruments but used differently)

Raised air intake.
My interest is in grabbing cooler air, not water crossings.

In my opinion this is a raised air intake. When I think of snorkels I think of a one piece unit. South Georgia has miles of unimproved roads (a fancy word for red clay) and a raised air intake is a good investment.
image.jpeg

I understand the difference, but my choice will not be that clear cut, I don’t think. Let me put it this way - my motivation is for cool air so I am technically after a raised air intake, but if the price is similar on one that I am looking at, I would choose a sealed snorkel.

I read and I read and I read and I read about this debate of a cold air intake/snorkel helping with lowering g EGTs....
Some say it helps and others compare it to breathing through a straw. Can anybody that has done this chime in with any real life experience of before and after?
Heck, if an Intercooler is in my little g term plans maybe I should not even go down this road.

Raised air intake.
My interest is in grabbing cooler air, not water crossings.

My understanding is these were originally intended to minimize dust intake to the filter after miles/days/weeks of driving in convoy formations on unpaved roads/trails. I think they are best thought of for 99% of the buyers as a fashion accessory; either you like the look or you don’t. I wouldn’t put much more thought into it than that.

I read and I read and I read and I read about this debate of a cold air intake/snorkel helping with lowering g EGTs

I would be surprised if it made any difference. I tend to agree with WarDamnEagle's post above.For the cost, you might as well get one that is one piece and watertight . Some nice home made stainless steel ones out there. You can buy the flexible rubber elbows and air intakes online.

Options are huge for this vehicle. ARB/Safari, Ironman, TJM/Airtec. Amazon cheapies, OEM Toyota..

OEM is just as good as a the one-piece units if you seal it in the mid section. Just use some polyurethane glue on the seam and call it good.

The fact that it will provide cooler air, as well as a ram effect might be true but IMO the difference is negligible. It does not hinder vehicle performance, even with a proper prefilter (which are AWESOME at keeping dirt away).

Naysayers will be naysayers and won't install it. Their opinion is worthless, while the opinion of the people who have them and use them will be the one you're looking for.

Options are huge for this vehicle. ARB/Safari, Ironman, TJM/Airtec. Amazon cheapies, OEM Toyota..

OEM is just as good as a the one-piece units if you seal it in the mid section. Just use some polyurethane glue on the seam and call it good.

The fact that it will provide cooler air, as well as a ram effect might be true but IMO the difference is negligible. It does not hinder vehicle performance, even with a proper prefilter (which are AWESOME at keeping dirt away).

Naysayers will be naysayers and won't install it. Their opinion is worthless, while the opinion of the people who have them and use them will be the one you're looking for.

Since your opinion is clearly worth something, please tell us why you use one? You basically just said it doesn’t help or hinder vehicle performance. Just curious.

Since your opinion is clearly worth something, please tell us why you use one? You basically just said it doesn’t help or hinder vehicle performance. Just curious.

I drive on extremely dusty conditions on dry season and frequently cross hood-deep water on the rainy season. For me, its there to avoide being stranded, which sucks, or a trip to the mechanic. Its worth its price in peace of mind.

It is not generally a performance modification. Not without modifying the complete intake on the vehicle and the ECU. If you do all that, then I suppose it could be.

All my vehicles have and have had snorkels. Land Cruisers, Prados, Hiluxes.. all of them. I've used a few brands as well, cheapies, Safari, TJM.. They're pretty much all the same.

I went with the oem two piece and added a good bead of black silicon caulk to the joints. Let the silicon cure before assembly so it’s basically a silicon gasket. You have to seal the elbow fitting outside the fender and the inner fender plumbing in two places to seal it. Mine works well as installed.

Not entirely applicable to you truck due to motor and body differences.

I installed a snorkel on my 80-series while living overseas... when I checked the prices on the OEM parts while ordering some other parts it was cheap enough to just go ahead and do it. Years of owning my 80 in the Middle East and comparing my air filter to others showed me that it made a huge different in dust intake. That sold me.

My Troopy got the OEM snorkel because, again, parts costs over there were cheap enough it made sense. AND I'm now sold on the raised intake benefits.

Mine isn't sealed for water... but I'll do so at some point just because it's an obvious step to take in sealing the whole intake.

Not entirely applicable to you truck due to motor and body differences.

Perfect! I was just gonna go grab this thread and link it here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom