Snapped output shaft? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

is the transmision in gear with wheels chocked? that may help in keeping it from turning
an impact gun will work
a small chisel to get in the groove and bend the tab back out

any or all of the above
As I stated, the drive shafts are already off. Also, the rear TC shaft is what was broken. The only thing to prevent turning is front output shaft.

You want to keep the shaft/assembly from turning. Maybe by putting the trans in gear and the t/case in something other than neutral or if your frt driveshaft is still installed, lock the hubs if the tires are still on the ground while its in 4WD and the trans in gear. Then just loosen the nut. Don't worry about the indentation on the nut collar just put a wrench or socket on it and loosen it. You should replace the nut upon assembly then stake it with a punch.

In a similar situation once, I drilled two holes through a strong piece of wood that allowed me to bolt is to the drive flange with the other end of the wood against the garage floor, which prevented the shaft from turning. You could do the same using the front flange engaged.

As I stated, the drive shafts are already off. Also, the rear TC shaft is what was broken. The only thing to prevent turning is front output shaft.

is the transmission and transfer case still attached to the engine? from the pic it looks like it.
transmission in gear uses the engine compression to hold the shaft

if the transmission and transfer case are out of the rig, on a bench, put the transmission in gear and hold the front input shaft of the transmission, pipe wrench and a rag, use the clutch disc in a vise, etc

Got it out! Thanks everyone. I put it in gear and used the impact.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom