Smog Pump Disassembly and Rebuild. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spike Strip

Goblin Mode Activated
SILVER Star
Threads
I recently found a place that does Smog Pump rebuilds for FJ40s and FJ60 - Click HERE -

But I wanted to take apart my old Rebuilding Factory pump to see what they had done and to clean and replace what I could and use as a trail-spare (F'ing Kalif!!!)

Now, @rusty_tlc had posted that the OEM replacement bearings are:

1 - NTN 6204LB (front in the Aluminium housing)
6 - NSK J-65 (small bearing in the carbon Vanes)
1 - NSK DB-36227 (rear bearing)

The 6204LB is easy to find, as are the J-65.

@RAGINGMATT or @Racer65 The DB-36227 is unobtanium. I was able to find dimensions LINK but no sources for this Torrington bearing. Perhaps you Gents might know ?

Last edited:
I've ordered what I could and will post more pics as this progresses, for the peeps that would like to try this themselves.

Carbon Vanes themselves seem ok, not too much wear - You can see here where the small J-65 bearings go. None of these were replaced with the Rebuilding Factory rebuild. They seem a little stiff, but that just may be old grease.

The 6204 Bearing was a Chinese 6204Z

Last edited:

I recently found a place that does Smog Pump rebuilds for FJ40s and FJ60 - Click HERE -

But I wanted to take apart my old Rebuilding Factory pump to see what they had done and to clean and replace what I could and use as a trail-spare (F'ing Kalif!!!)

Now, @rusty_tlc had posted that the OEM replacement bearings are:

1 - NTN 6204LB (front in the Aluminium housing)
6 - NSK J-65 (small bearing in the carbon Vanes)
1 - NSK DB-36227 (rear bearing)

The 6204LB is easy to find, as are the J-65.

@RAGINGMATT or @Racer65 The DB-36227 is unobtanium. I was able to find dimensions LINK but no sources for this Torrington bearing. Perhaps you Gents might know ?

View attachment 1901781

Thanks for the pics and details.

I’ve read in other posts that the vanes are available somewhere but can only be purchased in a lot of 1000’s or so. Do you happen to have a link/searchable product name or number for these ?

Can’t tell from the photos.....so is the carbon vane plate removable/replaceable from its metal bracket that the bearings ride in? Looks riveted together.
Or does the whole piece: bearings, bracket, carbon vane and all get replaced?

Curious what BZ is doing for vanes and bearings.

And does anyone know why the air pump fails? Is it a seized bearing issue or do the vanes grenade and seize the internal workings?
In mine the thin metal strips which ride between the vanes (I believe if memory is right) slip and get bent and stop the spinning. I have photos way back from when I pulled mine and took everything out to inspect and I still have it all set aside in a box in the garage.

Why are carbon vanes used? Why not substitute in aluminum or another metal? Is it a temperature thing or centripetal acceleration mass thing?

"You can see here where the small J-65 bearings go. None of these were replaced with the Rebuilding Factory rebuild. "

Are you going to ask the Company why they didn't replace them? Seems like you should "call them out" on this.

Good work so far. How will you get the metal trim/edge piece back on the carbon blades? Did they fall out? Don't they go between the housing and the carbon blade?

My guess is the carbon soot from the exhaust coats the bearings until they fail then when they fail they cause more slop in the turning blades until they bind and break. Which sometimes causes the whole thing to seize and throw a belt. Just a poor design. Maybe we should have high flow filter mounted in the hose to take the carbon out before it gets to the air pump.

I agree with g-man on asking why they didn't replace the small bearings especially given the price.

I did the exact same thing on my spare pump. What Spike Strip did is I took it apart cleaned the inside housing, cleaned up the bearing and put it together.
Usually when it gets oil from a leaking PS pump it collects dirt and debris and makes it fail. And gums up!

I do not have a source for the vanes. Wish I did. No doubt would take someone in the industry to source those. There are no markings or numbers on the vanes. The bearings press into the brackets that are riveted to the carbon vanes. The bearings look to be directional as one side of the race is thicker than the other. I'll know more when the new bearings arrive.

"Carbon soot" does not coat the bearings as the intake air to the pump is pulled from filtered air on the air cleaner plenum.

Vanes can not be Alum as they glide against the metal housing, although there's probably a better modern material available now.

I don't intend to call RF to ask about the bearings. Rebuild was 10 years ago. Just another dishonest rebuilder I now ignore.

Purpose of this thread is to take advantage of the genius and reach of this outstanding forum and world-wide reach of the internet so somebody with knowledge and access to these parts will see this and say, 'hey, my Uncle's Cousin's lover is a rebuilder...' and know the appropriate substitutions. As well as provide an alternative to someone who may just have a bad front bearing which can be had for $10 or less if using China-made.

What would be the most help is somebody being able to source a substitution for the DB-36227 which also looks to have the same dimensions ( 34.925x44.45x12.7 mm) as a Timken or Koyo BH-228 which also seems unobtanium. I just don't know enough about bearing supply substitution to be able to cross it.

Anybody out there who works at a bearing distributor ? :)

I will post more pix when the parts arrive and I clean, paint and reassemble everything. And it stops raining.

There WAS a thread at one time I had read where someone had replaced the bearings w/ new but it would take some reading to find it.

There WAS a thread at one time I had read where someone had replaced the bearings w/ new but it would take some reading to find it.

There may be, but I've never come across it with LOTS of searching -- All the threads I could find said that bearing was not available, under that number.

The earlier pump for 76-80 FJ40s and 55s used a larger (wider) bearing that is available. Maybe that's what you're thinking of ?

There may be, but I've never come across it with LOTS of searching -- All the threads I could find said that bearing was not available, under that number.

The earlier pump for 76-80 FJ40s and 55s used a larger (wider) bearing that is available. Maybe that's what you're thinking of ?
Could be. Someone wanted to buy my pump but I held off... he rebuilt his and is running it now. Was that you @Randy88FJ62?

Not me although I was playing with it about 2 years ago so who knows. I search for answers in threads sometimes only to see my posts from a decade ago. :D

My OEM smog pump is still ticking with 310,000 mi on the clock. Whether it is performing well is anyone's guess but the bearings are still doing their job.

I do not have a source for the vanes. Wish I did. No doubt would take someone in the industry to source those. There are no markings or numbers on the vanes. The bearings press into the brackets that are riveted to the carbon vanes. The bearings look to be directional as one side of the race is thicker than the other. I'll know more when the new bearings arrive.

"Carbon soot" does not coat the bearings as the intake air to the pump is pulled from filtered air on the air cleaner plenum.

Vanes can not be Alum as they glide against the metal housing, although there's probably a better modern material available now.

I don't intend to call RF to ask about the bearings. Rebuild was 10 years ago. Just another dishonest rebuilder I now ignore.

Purpose of this thread is to take advantage of the genius and reach of this outstanding forum and world-wide reach of the internet so somebody with knowledge and access to these parts will see this and say, 'hey, my Uncle's Cousin's lover is a rebuilder...' and know the appropriate substitutions. As well as provide an alternative to someone who may just have a bad front bearing which can be had for $10 or less if using China-made.

What would be the most help is somebody being able to source a substitution for the DB-36227 which also looks to have the same dimensions ( 34.925x44.45x12.7 mm) as a Timken or Koyo BH-228 which also seems unobtanium. I just don't know enough about bearing supply substitution to be able to cross it.

Anybody out there who works at a bearing distributor ? :)

I will post more pix when the parts arrive and I clean, paint and reassemble everything. And it stops raining.

Well I have something that may (emphasis on may) work - the "shoe kit" for older fj40 smog pumps (04172-40010) that are available through foreign sources. I have yet to dissect my air pump so forgive me if I am wrong about the part on the parts diagram which is referenced in #1) below.
Here is what I've found:

1) It seems that the last year that Toyota offered "re-build" parts on the smog pump was in 1976 :

2) in the above linked diagram, the "shoe kit" part number 17610K eventually was re-numbered to 04172-40010

3) I don't know how different the parts are from "older" smog pumps vs the stock one in my "newer" 1983 FJ60. That is the experiment.

4) I have only found supposed availability for 04172-40010 from Russian re-sellers. Whole Sale Spareparts from GForce United Arab Emirates: Whole sale of spareparts: Komatsu, Suzuki, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, Subaru, Heavy machinery and specialized equipment.

5) In the past, I've ordered from amayama.com and megazip.net (Japan based with UAE warehouses) with 100% success. Hell, right now megazip.net has a BRAND NEW OEM smog pump for my FJ60 (17610-61030)...for $1,125

6) So IF the parts will fit right with the "newer" smog pumps, and IF I don't get scammed out of $40 + shipping from the Russian site, this may be a real good solution.

There are springs behind the carbon veins that keep pressure against them and the housing as it turns. I suppose this is to allow for wear. My experience when disassembling mine is that the springs rust or corrode and no longer keep the veins tight against the housing. This probably leads to binding and cracking of the veins which is experienced as grenaded pumps. The other issue is old hard grease on the bearings. That coupled with a PS leak will toast the air pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom