Smell of gas fumes only near rear bumper of hundy. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BullElk

SILVER Star
Threads
No fumes around gas cap or charcoal canister under hood like in search results. Only seems to be coming from the rear of hundy.

Any experience with this??

Last edited:
No fumes around gas cap or charcoal canister under hood like in search results. Only seems to be coming from the rear of hundy.

Any experience with this??
Charcoal canister isnt under the hood afaik

‘99 is.

image.jpg

The fumes may be coming from the canister. The wind is tricking me on its location. But it is consistently rather odorous.

Charcoal canister was moved to above spare tire for 2003+ MY

If fuel smell is just while sitting engine off 98-02. This could be filler neck has a hole or loose. Look up under rear DS wheel at rear. Take plastic out of wheel well if need be. Also look up above rear diff for fuel line. Seem even 98-02 had some up their IIRC.

Some recent threads of some 98-02 under hood DS after key out. Canister valve or issues venting. Gas cap is part off this and remove cap relieves pressure stop sound. So this could have to due with canisters up front as well.

Bad gas cap.

Some stuck valve venting at rear or vent return tube.

98-02 canister up front under hood.
03-07 above spar tire in rear.
03-07 you must stop filling gas tank at first automatic shut off of pump handle. See OM. Topping beyond this floods the canister.

I once though I had a fuel leak at rear. Turned out to be a near by gas can, heating and venting.

Sounds like it is related to the boiling gas tank / EVAP venting issue. Every time I've had gas boiling out of my tank it starts with a strong gas smell from the rear. I've replaced the gas cap and I don't do any wheeling on a full tank. So far no issues. Next up I'm replacing the canister. $300 and 30 mins of work seems worth it to me.

Last edited:
Also, I never put more gas in after the handle clicks.

In 98-02 I click pump three times as I top every time for over 100K miles. Never in 03-07.

Sounds like it is related to the boiling gas tank / EVAP venting issue. Every time I've had gas boiling out of my tank it starts with a strong gas smell from the rear. I've replaced the gas cap and I don't do any wheeling on a full tank. So far no issues. Next up I'm replacing the canister. $300 and 30 mins of work seems worth it to me.
Build a heatshield as shown in that thread. After that the issue should disappear completely.

Build a heatshield as shown in that thread. After that the issue should disappear completely.

I need to revisit that. Thanks for the reminder.

I sure will. Still studying it. I guess it depends on airflow around vehicle because odor is rather strong right when I open the door. Just hard to pin point location.

Any chance this would cause the vapor smell?

D81957AE-8F74-47C7-A0D9-B6C089F11DA4.jpeg

FBE060B7-729D-4BAA-A760-6989071FB5FD.png

Efforting toward a $40 mend.

27A7442E-EBE8-4C2F-876D-6B4830A0E5D9.jpeg

Uh oh. Found the gas fume culprit. Rusted edge of gas tank.

B003D06C-3BCB-4270-8A1A-5638BA66E270.jpeg

CEED29D5-BDEC-4E54-80F7-21EEAE419844.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom