Burning Smell when reversing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
holahonduras.net
I've been noticing a strong burning smell when reversing especially if going up a hill. I don't think I'm riding the clutch, but ......
Any other thing that might cause it? I noticed it again yesterday when on a flat surface, with foot off clutch

Stuck e-brake?

Stuck e-brake?
No, the brake is entirely off.
I did have the clutch replaced a few months back, and since have noticed noise when in idle and the clutch is out. We changed the bearing but it's still there. I wonder if it's related somehow!/

I've been noticing a strong burning smell when reversing especially if going up a hill. I don't think I'm riding the clutch, but ......
Any other thing that might cause it? I noticed it again yesterday when on a flat surface, with foot off clutch

Uphill in reverse!

Let's assume your not riding brakes, not riding clutch and not smelling something just because it not left in the dust behind you, as during forward motion.

I've never worked on a 100 series w/manual. But have work on manuals clutches before. Burning smell is very likely disk slippage. When replacing "clutch" there are 3 main components Flywheel, dish and pressure plate. Most time, shops only replace disk!

Flywheel's may need resurfacing or replacing.
New Disk material matters.
Pressure plate spring get weak, with time and use. They also come in cheap low end (weak) and high end.

No, the brake is entirely off.
I did have the clutch replaced a few months back, and since have noticed noise when in idle and the clutch is out. We changed the bearing but it's still there. I wonder if it's related somehow!/
Assume noise when idling, not from other than clutch. This would likely be throwout (TO) bearing. Some models we adjust so TO bearing is riding on pressure plate (PP), others with a gap so not spinning/riding on PP. If properly adjust, I'd say bad TO bearing.

Also possibility. Is pressure plate, not enough pressure on disk.

So seems clues point to pressure plate & disk combo. Assuming good flywheel surface and good proper TO bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom