Sm465 vs nv4500 shifting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In a 40, it's a tough call. A shorter drive train is good. SM420/465 shifts well enough. But an NV4500 is a modern transmission.

In a wheeler, you don't need overdrive. In a street truck, you do. An SM420/465 does work great in a 40. It just does. The SM420 in my 40 is the best thing I ever did to it.

In my 40, the short drive train wins out. And that's with a wheelbase extended 4 inches.

In your case, I would probably use the SM465 since you own it and it's shorter. I assume you're swapping the 35 spline output to the 10 spline 4WD output. But will follow this thread to see what you do.

I have 38s for the trail, probably would run 37s for the road. I'll be using a 6.0 and would love smooth shifting and the OD, AND I'm fine with pushing the axles further apart for more rear driveline.

It's just a "what if?" my little brother just told me he has a rebuilt nv4500 he could sell.

If you use the nv4500 I would get an adapter to run a split case. Not sure if I remember correctly but the hd dodge nv4500 was a better transmission to use when I installed one of those. 420's and 465 adapters are much shorter because they use the one piece case that has the same input spline size and count as the two chev transmission outputs. Stock axle configuration?

Went from a 465 to nv4500, night and day! Better gear spread, way smoother shifting, syncro first and reverse( great when your stuck in the mud!) can run lower gears to take advantage of the od. I was running a bbc, nv4500, 40”boggers and 5.13 gears, perfect street gearing and Offroad. 465 is bulletproof, cheap, but very old school.

I ran an nv, 203/205 doubler, 60 front, 14b rear, 10 years of wheelin, rubicon, never broke anything! The Dana 60 was oem stock, open diff, narrowed 12 inches. Everyone thinks you need to build a 60? They are strong from the factory! Held up to a healthy bbc!

I like the NV4500. I do find my 80 starts to feel like driving a dump truck in stop and go traffic with the Cummins.

I never really noticed that the nv4500 shifted that much better than the other two option mentioned. It is still a truck transmission. I find with my nv4500 I have to engage the gate of the gear I want,wait for the synchro for just a split second then engage the gear. Trying too speed shift or shift like a car is not the way they work. Not all that much better than a 465 in reality as far as shifting goes. If bumping from reverse to forward is the idea, get an auto and install a frmvb. I can speed shift my 420 between forward and reverse just as fast or faster than the nv4500.

The LS motor rpms will pull through the sm465 gears with no sweat. What size tires you shooting for? My 2f struggles to pull through the sm465 gears because it only revs to 4k. LS goes to 6k which is a lot of rpm per gear and will work great but can go way more over 6k if u use different valve springs and reflash the ecu. The sm465 is tough and cheap, and 1St gear is great. For a LS I would also consider a 4l60e, or 4l80e if high hp. But u will need to stretch the wheelbase.

@White Stripe I’m planning the build for cut 38.5” swampers for the trail and the skinniest 37” radials I can find for daily driving and snowy roads.

14b narrowed and shaved for the rear, whatever hybrid axle in front as stated above.

I want to build the truck to be able to drive wherever in the country, wheel and drive back without breakage.

What tcase u want to run behind the sm465 and what is the total length of it and it's adapter behind the Trans? Some sm465 tcase adapters are really long.
@White Stripe I’m planning the build for cut 38.5” swampers for the trail and the skinniest 37” radials I can find for daily driving and snowy roads.

14b narrowed and shaved for the rear, whatever hybrid axle in front as stated above.

I want to build the truck to be able to drive wherever in the country, wheel and drive back without breakage.

I'm not sure who has an SM465 adapter anymore, but a plate adapter (short) used to be available from Classic Cruisers in Colorado. Bit it adapts to the 10 spline input of a one piece case not a split case. But if you're going this route, you should do an Orion transfer case too.

If you go with an SM420, it's 2 inches shorter, and the plate adapter is available from Extreme Bends in Canada.

Too tall, your nv needs a rebuild!! I rebuilt mine and it shifted effortlessly with positive engagement. If your running an ls, why not run a more modern trans? You need long arms to shift a 465! Nice short throw on the nv, almost worth it just for that. I have a k10 with a 465 and an nv4500 sitting in the shop, every time I drive it, I look at the nv, and start thinking about a swap!

Reactions: SMG
I love my NV4500. Wouldn't trade it for anything, except maybe a ZF-6.

Can't quick shift the NV4500 without grinding gears. I've got a short shift kit on mine and love the engagement feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom