Slow the rust down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like most of you 2020 has wreaked havoc on my finances this year. What can I do to slow the rust on my rig until I can get it to a body shop. Was hoping to work on it this year but well you know.

20201001_162400.jpg

20201001_162358.jpg

20201001_162343.jpg

20201001_162341.jpg

20201001_162338.jpg

It’s hopeless. Throw in the towel and drop it off at the recycling yard.

If you're not going to restore it soon, remove the inner cargo panels, vacuum/chisel out all the dirt and crust, and heavily grease the insides with spray Lithium grease or axle grease (applied with a gloved hand). Nothing immersed in grease will rust, but it may not look pretty. You want there to be some metal left when you DO decide to restore it.

Fire and rust have much in common. They are both forms of oxidation. Thankfully, rust is much slower.

Por 15 is ok but you have to do a ton of prep. The ads make it seem like you just paint it on rust and your problems go away but not the case. All the prep for proper POR application you might as well just fix the problem areas and do a proper paint job. Better yet find a clean frame, sand blast it, and hot dip galvanize it. It’ll rust out in 60 yesrs

Looks post 2020 to me... sand down put rust converter on the bare metal spray some primer on the bare metal all depends on how far you wanna go :worms::deadhorse:

Hey Gabe. I would do what Tommy said (quoted above) This will buy you a little time but not years. Some grease on the inside of those areas that you can get to will not hurt either, along with what Tommy said. Gonna take a lot of cutting out and welding in new metal to fix that.

Stan

pffft, I started removing rust off mine and stopped dead in my tracks half way through. But, it's gonna be awesome once done. Mine is way worse though. Good luck!

pffft, I started removing rust off mine and stopped dead in my tracks half way through. But, it's gonna be awesome once done. Mine is way worse though. Good luck!
Same here!

Do what’s suggested with some sort of petroleum product - fluid film, grease, whatever. But also cover the holes - even if it’s sheet metal and self tapping screws, close the holes up and grease it up.

Cavity coater or fluid film is your best bet. Spray from the inside out, and use 2x as much as you think you need.

I'm a fan of the hot oil treatment. I use chainsaw oil with a toilet bowl wax ring melted into it. In this particular pic it looks like hell but that is a 17 year old Tacoma frame that has spent it's whole life in northern Ohio salt with zero rust. (The original paper thin fuel tank skid plate turned to dust long ago - I fabbed that one and it's coated with POR15 so no oil needed.)

It is messy as hell when you have to work on the underside but that's the price I pay - plus disintegrating rubber.

Taco.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom