Slinky front coils (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If the PO didn't have the correct geometry it possibly could effect the position of the coil. Too far forward for instance. If they are sitting in that position for an extended amount of time it might cause a warp in the spring so instead of being straight up and down it has a slight bend. Just a thought, are your spring perches rotated by any chance? I would also like to see a pic of where it's hitting. Just for curiosity's sake.

What bumpstops are you running Rich? Inside the coil ones still, along with frame mounted ones? Frame mounted bumpstops can be a cause for sure. Most places that make aftermarket front bumpstops for the frame design around coils that aren't as big. Slinky coils are a larger diameter wire than most other coils. The diameter has had minor clearance issue to address with things like the Delta rear panhard lift bracket. So it's entirely possible the coil could be hitting the bumpstop or the bracket. When I put on the timbren bumpstops I had to cut the sides off the brackets so they wouldn't hit the coils. When flexed the coils will still hit the rubber.

If you're only getting contact on the driver side it sounds like an adjustment to your panhard to pull the axle slightly toward the driverside might help. Or, the grinder like you planned.

This is what my Timbren's looked like before modifying them. Had to modify the brackets for the front and rear bumpstops.
Slinky Parts by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Here's the front one after cutting the bracket and the cup flat on both sides so it wouldn't touch the coil.
Suspension by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Can't see the bracket in the pic but you can see how close the coil is to the bumpstop with just a bit of flex.
37’s and bumpstops by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
I running factory frame mounted bump stops with a 3/4 " extension as well as the stock ones inside the coils. I could only hear the noise on the drivers side but I just confirmed they are rubbing on both side as I see paint on the passenger bump stop mount. The ones inside the coils do not come into play as they are not extended it look like the offending areas can be ground away.
1592949765008.png

If the PO didn't have the correct geometry it possibly could effect the position of the coil. Too far forward for instance. If they are sitting in that position for an extended amount of time it might cause a warp in the spring so instead of being straight up and down it has a slight bend. Just a thought, are your spring perches rotated by any chance? I would also like to see a pic of where it's hitting. Just for curiosity's sake.
Picture posted. what do you mean are my spring perches rotated ?

ok I am confused now, is the picture above not a rear bump stop? I thought you said this was a front spring?
91-94 have front frame mounted bump stops as well as the ones in the coils, later years have the mounts present but not the stops themselves. So yes this is a picture of the front. It's hard to see but just above the rubber you can see where it's rubbing.

Ok thank you for clarifying.

91-94 have front frame mounted bump stops as well as the ones in the coils, later years have the mounts present but not the stops themselves. So yes this is a picture of the front. It's hard to see but just above the rubber you can see where it's rubbing.
I don't know if there are minor differences in the dimensions of the frame bracket between the early trucks like yours and the later ones like mine. It's possible that could be the difference. In any case the areas that are making contact are very close on mine as well, but have not been an issue. Should be a simple fix with some minor grinding to the areas circled in red. Little bit off the frame bracket and a small amount off the edge of the bumpstop.
brosky.jpg

I don't know if there are minor differences in the dimensions of the frame bracket between the early trucks like yours and the later ones like mine. It's possible that could be the difference. In any case the areas that are making contact are very close on mine as well, but have not been an issue. Should be a simple fix with some minor grinding to the areas circled in red. Little bit off the frame bracket and a small amount off the edge of the bumpstop.
View attachment 2349366
Agreed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom