Slinky front coils (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Threads
So I have a chance to try out some Slinky 3.5 medium front coils. I like the ride and that they don't come unseated under full articulation. I really don't like the way the rub the frame with a clanky noise well wheeling. In all the reading I have done on this forum about spring no one mentions this. Am I the only one bothered by this ?
Does this happen with all the dual rate coils.

I have the Dobinsons tapered and they did that until I lengthened my front panhard by 1/4 ". Now, no more rubbing/noise.

Edit: fwiw - I don't wheel like you do:)

I have the Dobinsons tapered and they did that until I lengthened my front panhard by 1/4 ". Now, no more rubbing/noise.

Edit: fwiw - I don't wheel like you do:)
Interesting, does that mean that the axle is not centered at ride height ?

Interesting, does that mean that the axle is not centered at ride height ?
It won’t be with the lift and the stock Panhard bar.

Just put shorter shocks back on & all problems will go away.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

My Dobinson & Slinky front coils have rubbed the frame in the area you refer to. My thoughts are since both are droping the axle down more since they both have a extra tall free hieght. The the axle gets pulled inward more toward the driver side then contacts the frame. One could install a adjustable panhard bar to correct this issue, but then at full stuff would push outward the passenger tire which could create other tire interfaces. This is a domino effect were I decided to stop since for me was just some missing paint off the coils.
I have thought about bending "breaking" some .25" aluminum at a 90 degree angle so in could rub that vs. The frame bump
Here is a few pics...
Screenshot_20200622-153235.png
Screenshot_20200622-153408.png
Screenshot_20200622-153207.png

Last edited:
It won’t be with the lift and the stock Panhard bar.
I get that part. I have adjustable panhard bars to keep the axle centered at ride height.
Again is your axle not centered at ride height.

Just put shorter shocks back on & all problems will go away.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

My Dobinson & Slinky front coils have rubbed the frame in the area you refer to. My thoughts are since both are droping the axle down more since they both have a extra tall free hieght. The the axle gets pulled inward more toward the driver side then contacts the frame. One could install a adjustable panhard bar to correct this issue, but then at full stuff would push outward the passenger tire which could create other tire interfaces. This is a domino effect were I decided to stop since for me was just some missing paint off the coils.
I have thought about bending "breaking" some .25" aluminum at a 90 degree angle so in could rub that vs. The frame bump
Here is a few pics...
View attachment 2348333View attachment 2348334View attachment 2348335
Very funny Gary
I may just do that as I not seeing as big improvements as i through I would. I'm not worried about the paint.
When I had my OME spring they would come unseated and make a noise even through I new what it was it would cause me to get out and make sure nothing was wrong or broken , when you wheel hard sh*t happens. Now the springs don't unseat but rub on the frame causing the same worry.
I don't want to break something and ignore it thinking it's just the spring rubbing some paint off on the frame.
Again in all the post about dual rate coils I have heard no mention of this, and I personally think it a issue worth mentioning.

I'll buy the front shocks from you, but I believe you should go ahead & get an adjustable front panhard bar 1st. Its the next logical step to correct the front axle at ride hieght for a 4" lift. It will also fix the coil frame rub.

Happy Trails.

Last edited:
I'll buy the front shocks from you, but I believe you should go ahead & get an adjustable front panhard bar 1st. Its the next logical step to correct the front axle at ride hieght for a 4" lift. It will also fix the coil frame rub.

Happy Trails.
I have had the adjustable panhard from day one with the first lift I had on the Reg. I though you new me better then that, I like to do things
right the first time !!!!!!
Cheers

Okay then... your only hope is to go to shorter shocks or a 3-linky.

A grinder will eliminate your issue.

So I have a chance to try out some Slinky 3.5 medium front coils. I like the ride and that they don't come unseated under full articulation. I really don't like the way the rub the frame with a clanky noise well wheeling. In all the reading I have done on this forum about spring no one mentions this. Am I the only one bothered by this ?
Does this happen with all the dual rate coils.
Have never had this issue with the Slinky coils. Definitely sounds to me like something might be misaligned (Panhard length?, etc) Could it be the bumpstop tower inside the coil contacting the spring?

Have never had this issue with the Slinky coils. Definitely sounds to me like something might be misaligned (Panhard length?, etc) Could it be the bumpstop tower inside the coil contacting the spring?
Thank you Adam this is the kind of feed back I am looking for. It's definitely rubbing on the frame / frame bump stop mounts. I have a adjustable panhard with the axle centred at ride height. I well pull the front tire again and dbl check that the axle is centred. It's only rubbing on the drivers side.
To other things come to mind I have 25mm spacers for added lift and or the springs are used and may be just a bit past there prime.

Last edited:
Yes, I had green paint that transfers from the coil to the frame bump stop mount. A grinder and track bar adjustment took care of it. Heck, I don’t know maybe it still touches at the extremity of extension but that’s something I can live with. All I know is that I haven’t heard all that noise since I added clearance with a grinder.
650479FF-3365-471A-9BA7-30D501E3F976.png

Yes, I had green paint that transfers from the coil to the frame bump stop mount. A grinder and track bar adjustment took care of it. Heck, I don’t know maybe it still touches at the extremity of extension but that’s something I can live with. All I know is that I haven’t heard all that noise since I added clearance with a grinder.View attachment 2349221
I well be getting the grinder out for added clearance. I really don't care if they rub a little as long as there not make noise that sounds like something broken.

The grinder should do it.

So to confirm the coils are used? Any idea how old? There is a chance that the geometry on the previous truck was so different than yours that interference is caused just for that reason. Any chance you know if they were installed on the same sides that the PO had them on?

I well be getting the grinder out for added clearance. I really don't care if they rub a little as long as there not make noise that sounds like something broken.
What bumpstops are you running Rich? Inside the coil ones still, along with frame mounted ones? Frame mounted bumpstops can be a cause for sure. Most places that make aftermarket front bumpstops for the frame design around coils that aren't as big. Slinky coils are a larger diameter wire than most other coils. The diameter has had minor clearance issue to address with things like the Delta rear panhard lift bracket. So it's entirely possible the coil could be hitting the bumpstop or the bracket. When I put on the timbren bumpstops I had to cut the sides off the brackets so they wouldn't hit the coils. When flexed the coils will still hit the rubber.

If you're only getting contact on the driver side it sounds like an adjustment to your panhard to pull the axle slightly toward the driverside might help. Or, the grinder like you planned.

This is what my Timbren's looked like before modifying them. Had to modify the brackets for the front and rear bumpstops.
Slinky Parts by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Here's the front one after cutting the bracket and the cup flat on both sides so it wouldn't touch the coil.
Suspension by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Can't see the bracket in the pic but you can see how close the coil is to the bumpstop with just a bit of flex.
37’s and bumpstops by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

So to confirm the coils are used? Any idea how old? There is a chance that the geometry on the previous truck was so different than yours that interference is caused just for that reason. Any chance you know if they were installed on the same sides that the PO had them on?
The spring were used on a DD for about 2 yr. not wheeled hard. All 80 series springs are taller on the drivers side so know they were installed on the same side. I don't see how the geometry could be that different from one 80 to the next. Previous owner confirmed they rubbed on his Reg as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom