Slinky coils on Icon Stage 3? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those of you with knowledge of both Icon's Stage 3 kit AND Slinky coils, I have a question. I'm currently running the Icon 3" kit including their package springs. Having just added a Delta rear bumper, I've now developed a noticeable sag in the rear. Per a post from @Box Rocket , the Slinky Kit shocks are "custom length and valving specific to the 80 series." Do I need to worry about my non customized Icon shock length? I have adjustable CDC reservoirs, but that "custom length" comment is giving me pause.

Any reason to worry about the Slinky coils length as it relates to my non-Slinky Icon 2.5 shocks?
A0B67EA3-CF63-4FEB-8DB6-5F0E3208FA69.jpeg
29B711A4-106D-4735-AC2A-138723FDBCCF.jpeg

You do have a very bad sag. I do not see why your shocks could not be modified to be the same as the Slinky length. Possibly Icon they can not give you shim stack as it was developed outside of their shop. I would like to hear the answer from someone who knows more.

For those of you with knowledge of both Icon's Stage 3 kit AND Slinky coils, I have a question. I'm currently running the Icon 3" kit including their package springs. Having just added a Delta rear bumper, I've now developed a noticeable sag in the rear. Per a post from @Box Rocket , the Slinky Kit shocks are "custom length and valving specific to the 80 series." Do I need to worry about my non customized Icon shock length? I have adjustable CDC reservoirs, but that "custom length" comment is giving me pause.

Any reason to worry about the Slinky coils length as it relates to my non-Slinky Icon 2.5 shocks?View attachment 2644653View attachment 2644663
I have some heavy duty rear springs, brand new in the box if you want them.

Being quite familiar with the Icon “stock” shocks but not with the Slinky variant, highly confident you would be able to run a Slinky or Dobinsons variable taper coil in the back with no issues.

Icon will absolutely not share customer (Slinky) info with anybody. They take confidentiality seriously. Slinky spent a lot of time developing their own setups and essentially contract Icon to make shocks to their spec. If Icon were to share that info they would likely end up in court.

Side note: with that much sag, you may want to increase the rebound on the shocks a little for optimized ride quality (you can adjust compression with the valve, but not rebound). Email me and we can discuss, if desired. info@deltavs.com

edit: just be sure to check clearances if/when you install other springs by flexing everything out. Preferred method is to flex things withOUT springs in so you know where the limits of compression are (making notes of tight spots, anything that might be making contact, bumpstops, etc) then put the springs in and compare.

Being quite familiar with the Icon “stock” shocks but not with the Slinky variant, highly confident you would be able to run a Slinky or Dobinsons variable taper coil in the back with no issues.

Icon will absolutely not share customer (Slinky) info with anybody. They take confidentiality seriously. Slinky spent a lot of time developing their own setups and essentially contract Icon to make shocks to their spec. If Icon were to share that info they would likely end up in court.

Side note: with that much sag, you may want to increase the rebound on the shocks a little for optimized ride quality (you can adjust compression with the valve, but not rebound). Email me and we can discuss, if desired. info@deltavs.com

edit: just be sure to check clearances if/when you install other springs by flexing everything out. Preferred method is to flex things withOUT springs in so you know where the limits of compression are (making notes of tight spots, anything that might be making contact, bumpstops, etc) then put the springs in and compare.
Really appreciate your insight on this. I wouldn’t think the length difference between the Slinky tune and standard Icon shock would be a game stopper, but you confirming that helps alleviate what would be a forever anxiety of “what if?”

I agree that increasing the rebound a bit in the rear will also help. As I stand now, I have just shy of 70k miles on these shocks. Wonder what the service cycle is in these shocks? 🤔 I may be approaching the point where I need to think a bit more comprehensively on shock tune. I’ll drop you a line separately. Thanks!

Which slinky coils do you have? I assume the intermediate as the HD or EHD springs would not sag just by adding a rear bumper. For reference I have slinky stage 4 with EHD springs on one of my 80's and slinky stage 5 with HD springs on my other 80....both of wihich are built heavy pigs.

Which slinky coils do you have? I assume the intermediate as the HD or EHD springs would not sag just by adding a rear bumper. For reference I have slinky stage 4 with EHD springs on one of my 80's and slinky stage 5 with HD springs on my other 80....both of wihich are built heavy pigs.
I currently have the package springs that came with the Icon Stage 3 kit. When I didn’t have a set of ARB drawers, a fridge and a dual swing out rear bumper, they were fine. I’m looking to swap the old springs for a set of 75mm Slinky HD rear coils to brings things back to plumb.

you millage on the shocks indicates it is certainly time for a rebuild and perfect opportunity to tune the shock shim stack to your load. You could even look into changing the ride characteristics with the tune. Icon valves their shocks in a digressive manner. Great thing about the Land Cruiser is that it is relatively easy to remove the shocks as compared to struts. You can have the shocks tuned multiple times to come up with the results you need.

Seeing that you are in California, you are in the right spot to get that done. You could even come up with a better tune for your wheeling and load than what Slinky is offering.

I currently have the package springs that came with the Icon Stage 3 kit. When I didn’t have a set of ARB drawers, a fridge and a dual swing out rear bumper, they were fine. I’m looking to swap the old springs for a set of 75mm Slinky HD rear coils to brings things back to plumb.
Ok that makes more sense. The icon springs have a lighter rate than any of the slinky options which are geared more for heavy 80’s.

You may or may not need a shock rebuild yet, but don’t expect the shocks to do anything about the ride height, that is all the springs. The shock valving shim pack will impact the handling but not ride height.

I guess I went off the rails about the tuning. The icon springs were intended for an unloaded unladen cruiser. With the load that you have added, it is time for heavier springs.

I guess I went off the rails about the tuning. The icon springs were intended for an unloaded unladen cruiser. With the load that you have added, it is time for heavier springs.
Not at all. Your post caused me to review the service interval for my shocks. Though they are not leaking any oil, and most of my driving has been on freeway, they are definitely in the window. Once my wallet cools from the most recent spending spree, I'll get the shocks refreshed with an updated tune. In the meantime, I picked up a set of 75mm rear HDs from Slinky, so that should resolve me saggy bottom.

Not at all. Your post caused me to review the service interval for my shocks. Though they are not leaking any oil, and most of my driving has been on freeway, they are definitely in the window. Once my wallet cools from the most recent spending spree, I'll get the shocks refreshed with an updated tune. In the meantime, I picked up a set of 75mm rear HDs from Slinky, so that should resolve me saggy bottom.
Already been answered but just to re-confirm, you will be able to continue running the shocks you have without issue. They will have a bit less droop but will work just fine.
As for coils, the Slinky HD coils would be perfect if you can get your hands on a set. I’m not as knowledgeable about the specific details of the Dobinson coils but their tapered coils should do the trick as well.

Already been answered but just to re-confirm, you will be able to continue running the shocks you have without issue. They will have a bit less droop but will work just fine.
As for coils, the Slinky HD coils would be perfect if you can get your hands on a set. I’m not as knowledgeable about the specific details of the Dobinson coils but their tapered coils should do the trick as well.
Thanks, Adam @Box Rocket . I did manage to find a set of NIB rear Slinky HD coils, so hoping to get those installed early next week. From there, I need to reevaluate shock-tune and likely schedule a rebuild with either Icon (here locally in SoCal), or with @Delta VS . My gut tells me Delta has the recipe dialed, whereas Icon may give me more of a ballpark tune. It’ll do some research on that. I just fear that if I look in Delta’s direction for shock tuning, it’s going to cost me a front bumper, sliders and a Delta tattoo on my wife’s ass.

Thanks, Adam @Box Rocket . I did manage to find a set of NIB rear Slinky HD coils, so hoping to get those installed early next week. From there, I need to reevaluate shock-tune and likely schedule a rebuild with either Icon (here locally in SoCal), or with @Delta VS . My gut tells me Delta has the recipe dialed, whereas Icon may give me more of a ballpark tune. It’ll do some research on that. I just fear that if I look in Delta’s direction for shock tuning, it’s going to cost me a front bumper, sliders and a Delta tattoo on my wife’s ass.
Sounds like you know what you need to do.

LOL beware, once you start going delta, its hard to stop, tattooing their logo on your wife's ass may get you a discount or two tho.
For the Slinkys, just my experience when reaching out for a kit with the previous distributer no longer here I'm guessing, they will NOT break up a set or offer fronts alone or offer shocks alone but have many customers wanting to change out the rears due to changes in weight, so carry these to accommodate a decent turnaround. I'm guessing the vendor would have a set on hand you can still get to dump inventory but likely not under warranty which should be fine honestly. Just my .02 and experience. Good luck getting a new KIT anytime soon tho. Unfortunately I had to move on.

LOL beware, once you start going delta, its hard to stop, tattooing their logo on your wife's ass may get you a discount or two tho.
For the Slinkys, just my experience when reaching out for a kit with the previous distributer no longer here I'm guessing, they will NOT break up a set or offer fronts alone or offer shocks alone but have many customers wanting to change out the rears due to changes in weight, so carry these to accommodate a decent turnaround. I'm guessing the vendor would have a set on hand you can still get to dump inventory but likely not under warranty which should be fine honestly. Just my .02 and experience. Good luck getting a new KIT anytime soon tho. Unfortunately I had to move on.
Way past the point of being careful. I’ve seen too much.

As for the Slinky’s, yeah, it’s a very discombobulated network right now. Was working directly with Darren, but ultimately stumbled across a member selling a set of new rear HD Slinky’s. Springs acquired. Instant gratification.

If you’re looking to get your ICON’s rebuilt here in SoCal, ICON rebuild facility in La Verne, CA is backed up till mid-July. They share the same facility as King and Fox for their rebuild. Talked to Jason at DC Shock Service and he said that it their busy time of the year as all the race teams start bringing in all their trucks to get ready for the race season. I talked to ORW and they are factory trained by ICON and won’t void the warranty on them. They can do custom valving in house and said it would take a day or 2 and you can leave your rig there instead of taking them off, leaving on jack stands and paying for shipping to the La Verne facility. I want to say ORW was going to revalve my 100 series starting at about $120 per shock not including labor, sales tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom