Slider Time! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
Ok - first things first - thanks to Ian, Matt (Ammo), David (Silvercruiser), Sam, and Victor (Biff) for a blast Sunday running Miller's Jeep Trail! My son and I had sh!t eating grins from ear to ear at day's end.

My '94 is now officially initiated into wheeling (yes Dan - it's true and I've got witnesses and pictures!). Ok - what all of you are waiting for - carnage. Kinda knew going up that there was a 95+% chance that OEM running boards would be toast by day's end. I think that possibility went to 100% when Sam asked if I'd rather take them off before starting! Yep - thrashed them both. Sorry - no pics unless one of the afore mentioned guys has a pic post carnage. Only ones I have are pre-carnage. Rocker panels are just fine. BTW - thanks to Biff for sacrificing his PS front fender flare. He ripped it off thru one tight section between two rocks and broke off about a foot of rock with it that allowed me to get thru relatively unscathed. I really learned alot from these guys in one day about what these awesome trucks are capable of and how humbling an experience it can be at the same time. Wow! Lockers got their 'excersise' for the first time in 11 years of ownership.

Now on to the questions/pros/cons.

I've read all the threads about Slee's tube and step sliders and Ken Hanna's sliders. Saw both of those and Link sliders in action Sunday so had a good change to inspect all three when we stopped for lunch. Only ones I haven't seen personally are Christo's step sliders and I'm kind of leaning that way for the same reasons Romer was, ease of roof rack access and entry/exit for wife, daughter and in-laws.

Probably a question for Christo - front cap on fender flare? OEM front mud flaps trimmed work like with tube sliders? or in one thread I saw mentioned a cap you have to fit with the step slider? I'll double check your site on it as well.

Step slider, from search looks like it's out a little further and offers more side panel protection? Just as sturdy on rocks/hits as the tube sliders??

Liked the look of Ken's as well. I know Christo's are bolt on. Are Hanna bolt on or weld on?

Transfer skid plate worth doing as well? I do absolutely forsee doing this again, and as this is my daily driver, I need it back in one piece at day's end!

My son can't wait until next time and it was a day we both needed for some long overdue bonding with the recent issues we've had with him. Experience was more than worth the price of the running boards - more like a Mastercard priceless moment as far as I'm concerned! :D

Again thanks guys for the patient initiation! :cheers:

Was fun wheelin with you Brent, I think this is where you first hit your running boards.

6fwdg7.jpg

I'll answer what I can. Slee's step sliders are just as beefy as the non-step/conventional sliders. I can't speak to the step sliders providing more protection for the sides, but you lose a little bit of clearance because the tubes for the steps are level with the bottom of the slider where as the non-step sliders, the tube is angled upward. Not a big deal, IMO.

Ken Hanna's are bolt on.
Yes, definitely get the transfer case skid plate. The OEM plate is a POS.

If you want something that looks more OEM running board-ish, get the step sliders. If that's not a concern, get the tubes from Hanna -- because he's closer to you and you'll save on shipping.

Could be - I think it was where you munched your front fender flare that really got them good!

Will have to work on the front bumper next trip! Yea right! All the wife said last night was - 'What's this going to cost us!' hehehe

Thanks Doug - that's the debate - shipping costs from Christo - even if I can pick up at a DC or commercial address. Really like all three!

Have you put the step sliders on the wife's LC yet?

Brentbba said:
Probably a question for Christo - front cap on fender flare?

Picture of famous flare end cap attached. They are not listed on the site yet.

OEM front mud flaps trimmed work like with tube sliders?

You can do that to.

Step slider, from search looks like it's out a little further and offers more side panel protection? Just as sturdy on rocks/hits as the tube sliders??

It sticks out as far as the running boards. It will have more leverage on it when you hit the outermost edge, but a hit under the main portion of the slider will be the same.
flare_cap.jpg

Thanks very much Christo! Got some decisions to make between the tube and step slider. Darn hard decision. Love the looks of the tube, but practicality (step) may win out. I've got alot of small boy scouts in and out the truck every month as well.

I am envies, if only we had a Slee in ZA. After the wheeling of this weekend my running boards looks like a T-pee.

Brentbba said:
Thanks very much Christo! Got some decisions to make between the tube and step slider. Darn hard decision. Love the looks of the tube, but practicality (step) may win out. I've got alot of small boy scouts in and out the truck every month as well.
Sounds like an easy decision...step sliders for you :D
That said, my 6 year-old daughter has absolutely no problem stepping on the tube, nor does the wife. Granted, they're used to stepping up on it now.

sleeoffroad said:
Picture of famous flare end cap attached. They are not listed on the site yet.
Projected price on flare end cap? Will this fit on the rear flare endpoint (for those going mud-flapless in the rear).

NorCalDoug said:
Sounds like an easy decision...step sliders for you :D
That said, my 6 year-old daughter has absolutely no problem stepping on the tube, nor does the wife. Granted, they're used to stepping up on it now.

Thanks for the confusion Doug. :flipoff2: Wonderfully contradictory statement. Gotta love it. hehehe

Personal issue with me is purchasing something this expensive sight unseen. I'm a touchy feely person that likes to inspect the merchandise before buying. I've seen plenty of Slee and Biff's Hanna. Not worried at all with quality from either Christo or Ken. Both offer superior customer service as well and have the reputation to boot!

sleeoffroad said:
Introduction price of $60 a set. Have not done the rears yet.

If the rears will clean up the look of the Slee bumper and the side of the fender, put me down for the first set. I never have liked the unfinished look of that area, and I've been too lazy to work on it myself. The front bumper caps look excellent.

Cruiserdrew said:
If the rears will clean up the look of the Slee bumper and the side of the fender, put me down for the first set. I never have liked the unfinished look of that area, and I've been too lazy to work on it myself. The front bumper caps look excellent.

You are behind me in line on that deal. I've been grinding on the involved parties for a month and a half now........... ;)

Go with Slee Slider-Steps.

You won't regret it.

I haven't.

Fochdog said:
Go with Slee Slider-Steps.

You won't regret it.

I haven't.

Thx - went to wash off the 5lbs of dust from yesterday this evening and for the first time in 11 years I had to get out a damn step ladder to get to the front part of the roof! Rear tire is just fine for the back. :D

Do you have any pics other than what I can see on Christo's site?

Last edited:
Courtesy of Mr. Romer :D

I haven't had time to install mine on the :princess:'s rig yet, But I expect mine to look just like Romer's -- same color and all :)

I like the "Cat" protector built into the Hanna sliders. I dont see these on the Slee. Do they offer these cat protectors?? Cats are big $ to bang on a rock!

Thanks

Boston Mangler said:
I like the "Cat" protector built into the Hanna sliders. I dont see these on the Slee. Do they offer these cat protectors?? Cats are big $ to bang on a rock!

Thanks

I have been wondering about this very same question. The flares are important but a bang on the cat will do the deed ;) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom