Sleeping in Truck vs. Tent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I own a 40 so sleeping in the back is um... uncomfortable. I usually use a 4 man tent or a hennessy hammock depending on whether I'm running solo or not.

I've slept in the back of a 100 series dozens of times and have had very few problems with condensation.

PO gave me this when I bought the 80. Great idea and works very well. I take the rear and middle seats out. There is a simple little platform goes behind the front seats. I use a full air mattress which fits perfectly.

I like it because you have the whole tailgate to put stuff on. It's also has 4 windows with screens and a big large one over the rear. Very solid.

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

Now that I have kids that are going camping with me I've changed things up a bit. Used to take the whole middle row out before the trip.

Now I'm leaving one in and taking a 12mm wrench with me. When I get to the site I just take it out. Takes all of 2 min to get it out. Plus it makes a great camping chair around the fire.

I also ditched the platform behind the front seats. I now just stuff clothes or other crap I'm not using under there before going to bed to make up the space. Full size air mattress is great. Could sleep for weeks in there. Nothing beats waking up in the morning cranking up the car and warming things up before getting dresses.

i like this setup alot do you have a write up on it by any chance

Mike working on metal is easy...if you cut too much you can always add/grind and you good to go.

Working with wood is a whole different game and Im not quite good at this.......but thanks for the vote of confidence..
I second the request above.. got any write up/blue prints for it....Granted I got a 60 series but the idea stays the same..

Mike working on metal is easy...if you cut too much you can always add/grind and you good to go.

MaNu,
Hmmm, never thought of working with metal that way.
:hmm:
I'm sure there are limits, but that's a fact.

However, despite my carpentry skills, I still know of no way to stretch a board that's too short:p

Now you've given me a little more confidence when I do get a chance to work on my fab skills.:beer:

Sure, if you need a couple of more inches, that might help.

In practical terms, when "the board's too short" it's usually by a 1/4" or less.

Still best to measure twice (thrice for us old guys) and cut once.

i'm 6'2 and sleep very comfortably in the back of my 60 with my 2 yr old. The airmattress is a must!

If i'm on a trip and have the dogs i have a small tent i'll put their crate in.

When the :princess: decides she wants to come camping sleeping in the rig is out. I'm forced to pack enough gear to supply a small town for a year. I've got a tent that could fit an irish catholic family, unless your staying a week it's not worth even setting up. It's a real PITA.

Camping was so much easier when i was single and didn't have kids. All i needed was a cooler of beer, lounge chair, small tarp and 5lbs of hot dogs.

It depends on the weather/conditions. I have slept in the back of my 80. Like others I've built a cargo box the same height as the 2nd row seats folded down...plenty of room to sleep.

However...on hot nights it unbearably hot in there...on cold nights its unbearably cold and condensation is everywhere. And if its even a little cold an air-mattress makes it 10x worse.

i'm 6'2 and sleep very comfortably in the back of my 60 with my 2 yr old. The airmattress is a must!

When the :princess: decides she wants to come camping sleeping in the rig is out. I'm forced to pack enough gear to supply a small town for a year. I've got a tent that could fit an irish catholic family, unless your staying a week it's not worth even setting up. It's a real PITA.

Camping was so much easier when i was single and didn't have kids. All i needed was a cooler of beer, lounge chair, small tarp and 5lbs of hot dogs.

:lol: I hear you there, minus the kids. My :princess: just bought an air mattress for our camping setup. I am adamant against getting a tent, so we'll see how long that lasts.

Last edited:
I sleep on an army cot next to the fj40. If it rains ill put up a tarp or ranger hooch. If its cold ill set up a tent.
I've slept in the front of the 40 before and that was ok. Not too bad.
If you have more than two people then use a tent.

:lol:
At some point it's easier to either
A) Stay home and take up raising Orchids.
B) Buy an RV.

In the 62, I always brought a small tent, but mostly slept in the back of the rig. Not what you would call a "LITTLE" guy either. 6"2', 240 bills...PERFECT.
Had the platform, and had packing and unpacking down to a science.
Rubicon one year it rained and snowed and the wife and I were snuggled nice and toasty in the back. GOD how Im gonna miss that. Ill eventually ATTEMPT to rig up something for the 40. Wont be the same of course, but...
Just wish that rig wasnt SOOOO big and heavy...

Shot of THAT set up.

Now, at surf n turf last year, I BAILED on the idea of ME, in the tent getting wind whipped all night...slept in the PS of the tacoma...I was AMAZINGLY comfortable. Just kicked the seat back and it was like I was in my recliner at home in a sleeping bag.
rubicon07 082.jpg

dohcdelsol93;6441741 When the :princess: decides she wants to come camping sleeping in the rig is out. I'm forced to pack enough gear to supply a small town for a year. I've got a tent that could fit an irish catholic family said:
BWAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAA!
Laughed OUT LOUD at the above statement.

I needed that!:D

I always use a military style cot; put a length of carpet padding ( Too cheap to buy a $100 air mat) on it to keep the cold from the ground off; then use an ECW system sleeping bag inside a Gore-Tex sleeping bag cover. Windproof/waterproof. Never had an issue. Just got back from the Mojave last month and woke up in 3" of snow and 27 degrees. During the night I actually became too hot and had to unzip the bags a little. Great system the people in our group have been using for long while now.

Personally, I enjoy sleeping in the rig. I have a 80 with half cargo drawer solution and found that the sleep is more rewarding in the rig- peace-of-mind. If needed I can also convert this solution into a full platform so the princess and I can sleep in the rig. A tent would be nice to help cut back on the game of tetras that ensue once it's time to set up sleeping arrangements, but to each his/her own.

With a family of four and 3 dogs, tent for me. Like to keep camp set up once and have the vehicle for exploring. Just like tent camping myself and the freedom of vehicle and sleeping seperate.

KB

Good point. Sleeping in the vehicle is pretty much for a couple or things quickly get crowded.

On the other hand, my dad made a slide-out tailgate board for our 1964 Chevy Impala station wagon. Him and mom sleep back there, my three siblings sideways across in front of them and me, the big one, with the luxury of the front bench seat all to myself.:cool:

But there was also a full length box that dad built that hauled stuff on top. Everything gets packed and unpacked when camping like that (used a tent for staying more than one night at a place) so it's like a military expedition with that many people, only small-scale and less organized:p

We eventually got a pop up camper to use when dad was stationed in Europe, but by then we were all so big there was no hope of fitting it all in a station wagon. Nowadays, lots of gear is so much smaller and lighter. However, you should carefully consider if squeezing everyone in your vehicle is really practical. And a growing family will, well, grow.

But for a couple, in-vehicle camping is a great option.

there is much good to be said for the ability to sleep in the truck and/or in a trailer when on the road. Not having to find a campground every night is a big plus. Not having to set up a tent on the ground is a big plus. From a practicality point of view, sleeping in the truck may be much better than setting up an RTT or having a trailer if one needs to stay inconspicuous.
OTOH, when semi stationary as in camp for week while exploring local trails, I definitely would much rather have a trailer or ground tent than an RTT so I don't have to pack up every morning.
And obviously, with a :princess: along, you need a well-equipped base camp and the ability to let her spend the day comfortably while you are doing this silly driving on the dirt bit...

i love sleeping in the truck. i have a nice platform that fits over the second and third row and a patio furniture cushion on top of that, for a nice soft bed. being single is nice packing for a weekend nice and easy, some subs, hot dogs or burgers, plenty of :beer:, water all in teh cooler. clothes and sleeping bag hanging or packed away in between the seats. if its cold bring the tent heater. next project is to make a sink and counter for the truck modled after one of these bad boys https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/469093-80-series-vacation-kit.html.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom