Builds Skreddy’s 70 Non-Resto (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It sounds incredibly frustrating. Keep at it. You'll fix it in the next round.

I'm sure I can search to find this answer, but it's on topic ... What's the draw to the Holly Sniper vs. an old school Aisin? Better, faster, more fuel efficient and cheaper?
I plan to use this cruiser at elevations anywhere between sea level and 9000’. I don’t want to change jetting for various elevations and maybe I wouldn’t have had to. But my Aisin also had some issues and my fuel pump was failing so it helped push me toward the Sniper instead of buying a new Aisin and fuel pump. I know the stock Aisin can be rock solid and work perfectly. I have had it in my mind that eventually I wanted an injected and air conditioned 40 so that definitely helped push toward the sniper.

Sniper is back and installed! And I will be on the phone with Holley in the morning. Exact same issue: runs fine at first but handheld says 85kpa for the lowest value though 2 vacuum gauges show 17-18” (40-45kpa). The paperwork just says “replace defective/missing parts”. So frustrating.

Man that’s a bummer. Hope you get it sorted out soon!

Thats very frustrating they need to just exchange it out.

The one plus side.. Tanks, Inc sent me a new pump
And having the sniper back I was finally able to test it. Waaaaaaaaay quieter. Can’t even hear it at idle.

45 minutes on hold for Holley to say their tech notes are “user install error” or something to that effect. Says I most likely have a vacuum leak but they want me to pull throttle body again and verify the map sensor port isn’t covered.
I am pretty positive I don’t have a vacuum leak. Also, if my gauge shows 17”, vacuum leak or not, the sniper should see the same.

Does it only happen during cold engine (below the 160 temp)? I just found the setting were to disable the the temp threshold. Mine runs much better while cold now.

Does it only happen during cold engine (below the 160 temp)? I just found the setting were to disable the the temp threshold. Mine runs much better while cold now.
It’s all the time, any driving circumstance. Can’t see below 85 kpa.

But a maybe positive update; I may have solved it! The provision to use this with a supercharger has you plug the map sensor port under the throttle blades and unplug a different port on the outside to hook up to manifold. Holley said I probably plugged my internal port (wouldn’t I remember that?) and that’s why I’m not getting good readings. So I popped throttle body off and whaddya know? No plug! (So it is how it’s supposed to be). But, I looked to double check the external plug and there is no plug! This would make it suck air all the time from atmosphere. Super frustrating because why wouldn’t Holley have seen this when they just had it back there?! Have to run to town for a plug and a new gasket, then I’ll report back. Waiting for the Olive 79 flywheel to be done so it’ll be this afternoon. Fingers crossed….
767F6C76-AD4E-4028-985A-E4D725871F17.jpeg
82D53E43-5C05-424F-AE2D-6236086E5914.jpeg

We have vacuum! The local Ace had a 1/16 npt plug in; they started carrying that size yesterday! Got it in and reset the wizard, had to open the throttle plates a little and fired right up. Much quieter now too without that vacuum leak.
image.jpg

Glad you are paving the way on this. I’ve taken copious notes.
One thing I would suggest is that throttle lever extender. I’ve driven it with and without and feels much easier to drive with the extender.

@Skreddy You working on this thing at all?

Yes. Been out for a bit doing family camping. Trying to find a trans tunnel so I can do the 4 on the tree conversion. Up in Canada for a week on my motorcycle but next week there will be progress. Otherwise just been driving it. 1500 or so miles since the sniper issue got figured out and it’s running great.

4 speed is rebuilt and mocked in with the 3 speed shifter to 4 speed adapter to check tunnel and linkage fit. The next steps will be making temporary linkage to check shifting then install t-case to measure for drivelines
1D3BEA61-5800-4326-9BA6-50B5C12C249C.jpeg
DF7832E6-1D35-4B84-B2DD-DD1D5AECA845.jpeg

Phase 3: Running lines. This is probably the most challenging and my favorite part. I cut a hole in the floor to run the dual lines through, using a spare grommet I had for the firewall heater lines. I put a piece of rubber hose over the hard lines where they pass through to seal it up. I bent up the lines from tank to where they’ll meet the soft lines to frame. Flared for tube nuts/sleeves and cleaned up with scotch brite for a matte finish. These lines actually make a turn toward the frame under the body so they were a pain to get right and to snake in.
View attachment 2951036View attachment 2951037
View attachment 2951041

Next I ran the lines in the engine bay. Started at the sniper end with the return line: I knew I’d want it on the bottom of the stacked lines. Then, feed line, adding in a fuel pressure test port.
View attachment 2951042View attachment 2951043

Last, I ran the frame lines since I now knew where I wanted both ends to land. Mounted the filter with quick connects and the soft line directly to one end for easy future filter changes. Snaked them up and over the body mount and frame, keeping clear of transfer case linkages. I used 2 rubber lined line clamps to hold them in place. Connect both ends with the vapor guard soft lines and I’ve got a fuel system!
View attachment 2951045View attachment 2951046View attachment 2951047
Phase 3: Running lines. This is probably the most challenging and my favorite part. I cut a hole in the floor to run the dual lines through, using a spare grommet I had for the firewall heater lines. I put a piece of rubber hose over the hard lines where they pass through to seal it up. I bent up the lines from tank to where they’ll meet the soft lines to frame. Flared for tube nuts/sleeves and cleaned up with scotch brite for a matte finish. These lines actually make a turn toward the frame under the body so they were a pain to get right and to snake in.
View attachment 2951036View attachment 2951037
View attachment 2951041

Next I ran the lines in the engine bay. Started at the sniper end with the return line: I knew I’d want it on the bottom of the stacked lines. Then, feed line, adding in a fuel pressure test port.
View attachment 2951042View attachment 2951043

Last, I ran the frame lines since I now knew where I wanted both ends to land. Mounted the filter with quick connects and the soft line directly to one end for easy future filter changes. Snaked them up and over the body mount and frame, keeping clear of transfer case linkages. I used 2 rubber lined line clamps to hold them in place. Connect both ends with the vapor guard soft lines and I’ve got a fuel system!
View attachment 2951045View attachment 2951046View attachment 2951047

@Skreddy would you mind sharing where you got the large volume fuel filter and mount bracket at? I've haven't seen that style before with the AN adapters on either end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom