Builds Skips FJ 35 BUILD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Working on many things at one time guess they call it multi tasking. Have the floor parts behind the wheel wells that were bent in the wrong direction so I cut the lip off and welded it back on going the right direction. Turned out good no warpage and smooth just time I guess.
DFD7F560-045E-40CF-B127-03A2838AB54C.jpeg
41E5DFC7-4536-4759-B7C0-BEA642E0C81B.jpeg
2620017B-B28B-4EB2-BE52-CADA812C55E8.jpeg

Working on many things at one time guess they call it multi tasking. Have the floor parts behind the wheel wells that were bent in the wrong direction so I cut the lip off and welded it back on going the right direction. Turned out good no warpage and smooth just time I guess.View attachment 2214993View attachment 2214994View attachment 2214995
Yesterday I was planing and remembered that Awl-Tec had posted a complete build of his beds back some time ago. So I searched and found it and spent some time reviewing what he had posted. Being that I got a KD version of his product I had wished I had reviewed it sooner. Anyhow it clarified many questions I had and Monday I will be back at it and feeling better about final assembly. I have another bed to put together for my real 45 which will be less complicated because I will not be making any changes from stock as I did to my 35. Just all in a day’s work.

Spent a few hours cutting down prepping and welding both of the rear side bed plates. Know it doesn’t look like much but it was a incinerator for time. After welding grinding and using the flap disk to get it just right. Tomorrow I will weld the mounting plates that you see at one end pictured. All 4 corners will get one each.
E930A299-9A12-4E9D-A4D7-E312FA63D6AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Stating to do more bed work, quarters as you can see. I cut to length to see how all the measurements came out and I am pleased. I wanted to do this before I did the final panel work as to not interfere with each other. Again I am a happy boy as to the outcome axel centerline is perfect to the wheel well, still plenty to do before they are done.
9727785B-9271-467F-8362-9F53F68D4441.jpeg

Did many things today but only one thing was noticeable. Started with putting more parts on the bed to see how much it needs to be adjusted. In the side view the overhang is 17” the tub takes up about 8” of that and the rest is in the shorter bed I guess. It is noticeable looking at the side view.
BYW wheel base is 120” or toy truck size.
510CE9F5-B15E-4D23-803B-8B579270B551.jpeg
1C97C386-493C-4CB3-8A7F-113D2EA831E5.jpeg

Last edited:
Did many things today but only one thing was noticeable. Started with putting more parts on the bed to see how much it needs to be adjusted. In the side view the overhang is 17” the tub takes up about 8” of that and the rest is in the shorter bed I guess. It is noticeable looking at the side view.
BYW wheel base is 120” or toy truck size.View attachment 2228317View attachment 2228318
Returned from up north dropping off the side rear panels for the 35 and the pull along trailer to have the finish body work to include the welding and shrinking of the stretched spots. Also the fellow will massage the fender wells above the tires also. The body work that needs to be done is above my head ya I could of thrown some plastic on it but want a better job than that so up it went to the ol time guy for some good ol metal work on thick metal . He has the right machinery Power Hammer and English wheel along with 50 years experience to make it perfect.

In Cali, house arrest not as bad as it sounds but does have some effects on not being able to have full access to some of the things you might need for car supplies.
Ya the stores are crazy many things that are out of stock. Gas is getting cheaper and that is a good thing. So I will ride it out plenty to do some stuff you work on doesn’t look like you have done much until the next time then it all falls together. So I will continue to put effort into the last part of the bed or as much as I can till I get the parts back from up north as well as waiting for the axel shafts from RCV
They are making them out of M300 for strength. Then I can get the beast up on its feet, a major break through.

Been working on the other rig my real 45 getting the merc 606 ready for install. Did some checking on the glow plugs that I am going to replace and noticed 3 of the pre combustion chambers had some questionable features. So I started looking and found that they are real hard to find.
These came from the UK and I was dam happy to get them. I only need 3 but will keep the extras for the 35 when I get to that engine tear down to see what is in front of me, moving forward again.
7A48A6C2-6095-4EE4-B2E1-DBCD6F7645B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Last couple of day’s I have been playing with an 8274 warn I picked up a while ago. Tore it down with the intention of cleaning it up and tig welding in a in and out for oil changes as you can see with the bungs in place. Plan, bead blast it lightly
D9E243D0-EBA2-4C79-A2DD-7D3E34700C97.jpeg
and smooth out the casting marks and any other that might jump up. As you can see some of that is done. After the bungs are welded in I will blast it again and do some polishing here and there, put it together with a 9.5 and accompanying later switches. Of course I am going to powder coat it clear and have some of the pieces in a solid color TBD. Looking forward to having this join the front of the 35 when done.

Well today was good, finished the left side of the bed side plates. These booogers have been very time consuming.i wanted them to fit and not be hacked up and as I try and do my metal work with no filler. Soo here we are with the pics below, all fit Streighting and as I said no bondo needed. Tomorrow I will tackle the other side and finish both sides with bead blasting to get the prep I am looking for.
F09537D6-CBCB-41FB-BEC2-4086F015C19C.jpeg
962C0B1B-E4B1-4A97-BA1B-AEEF7078AC5E.jpeg

Last edited:
Great metalworking! I hope I can come close to your patience and carefulness.
Ya this bed because of the size modification, it was made as a stock size and I made it to fit my project has tested my skills. Many hours of testing the waters as I build, no caned plans here. Over the years I have taught myself and sometimes it has been painful doing things twice to get the results I was expecting to get. It has been fun but it has satisfied my desire to gain the skills. I say I know enough to be dangerous and strive to be the best I can. TNX for the support and accolades. Today is another day of learning and I accept the challenge.

Ya this bed because of the size modification, it was made as a stock size and I made it to fit my project has tested my skills. Many hours of testing the waters as I build, no caned plans here. Over the years I have taught myself and sometimes it has been painful doing things twice to get the results I was expecting to get. It has been fun but it has satisfied my desire to gain the skills. I say I know enough to be dangerous and strive to be the best I can. TNX for the support and accolades. Today is another day of learning and I accept the challenge.
Yesterday was a good day got plenty done. However I am pleased to say I got the steering box and column bottomed up. Other things were rears back in place bed off getting ready to
Transport the truck to 4x4 Labs where Luke and the crew will finish up the roll cage and install the seats an consul between the seats, along with the front shocks hoops, making progress. It is scheduled to happen in about 3 weeks when it becomes a roller.
881BD00D-24DD-40E1-A7B1-5B56B85B3AD0.jpeg

Last edited:
Well the time has come to put some shoe’s on the 35 this weekend. Pictured are the Km2’s along with the rotors and hubs that were powder coated. It is nice to see that it has crossed over a major hurdle. Next on the agenda is, for the rig to make a trip up to 4x4 labs for a completion on the roll cage and install of the leather seats and console I have shared earlier. Also to engineer some shock hoops for the front
8E532177-5D33-4DD1-9CA8-A0AD498B3B5B.jpeg
80500C16-8328-4106-852D-0A1851140987.jpeg
6940FBA4-1D12-4036-BC67-7B5B58150570.jpeg
and the final install of the cross steering links and adjustments.

Big day, shock hoops are tacked in and steering arms attached. We were questioning that the spindle arms weren’t going to work but they sure did. Finish up welding tomorrow and move on to the seat set up. All systems are going along really nicely
And quicker than we thought.
3D124E69-6496-4581-B6B0-E1A91ABFEF9E.png
16B29FE4-CA1F-460B-995C-70F1D691A9CB.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom