Builds Skips FJ 35 BUILD (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

47 coeman

thanks so much for the reply. I know exactly where Athol is.

Did you mean he is several months out?

I am on a budget. Installing a $2000 low mile 6.0 LS1 is my only budget option. My truck was sold to me with a turbo 400 built to the hilt and np205 also built to be stout. My build is on the extreme link for this group. Nothing close to your build. I am at least 12 months behind you with a complete drive train and a basic cab

Last edited:
1E79D1A6-943C-4801-8C07-8C7ADE50214A.jpeg
02D9A8E9-4641-4CAC-B4FB-6C59BBFA25EB.jpeg
385651D5-D843-43E7-AA9D-3FAE5BAA238E.jpeg
02D9A8E9-4641-4CAC-B4FB-6C59BBFA25EB.jpeg

Was a great day today’got a great start on the rear bumpers for the 45 as well as the 35. Also started on the rear structure on the 35 have been putting it off for awhile. Anyhow still final fitting and fussing around to get it just right.

I just came across your build thread recently and have gone through it a couple times now. I just wanted to say that your workmanship, patience and attention to detail is very inspiring! I have a old rusted FJ40 tub that came as a parts rig that I'm thinking would make an excellent candidate for a 45 cab. I really like your 8" stretch, it looks very proportionate. I am 6'-1" tall so I'm thinking of building something very similar to your cab for added legroom. I had a question about the back section of your cab. Did you fabricate this lower panel, and if so what process did you use to get the 3 inset squares? Would a beadroller work for this, or did you use a pullmax or is it from another FJ45? Thanks in advance, I look forward to seeing your progress.
2014-08-21 16.09.13.jpg

Rusted71
TNX for your kind words above, yes it has been a laborer of love from the beginning to this point. As for the back section I had it made, this is about the only part that I didn't make myself. Had the skill but not the proper tools in my stable to complete it. If you are going to tackle this as a project for yourself I have pretty much documented it in my travels over the years in here. As we know if I had to do it over again it would be much shorter of a process second time through. My goal is to take it to the completion of body work, ready for final body work and and painted. Additionally engine ready to install which is a Mercedes 606. This will be process will be by a good friend of 25 years and has been in the business of building Hot Rods for about 50 plus years and switched over to 4x4’s 10 years ago. He is 68 and I am 72 but are both young at heart and have many years left to wheel together before we start pushing up grass. Thank you again for enjoying my travels and I hope you have a great adventure in your process of building a modified 40 to a special 45 for yourself. Don’t hesitate to contact me for questions as I am willing to share my experience with you and others on MUD so your experience can be a good one.
Best Skip

Rusted71
TNX for your kind words above, yes it has been a laborer of love from the beginning to this point. As for the back section I had it made, this is about the only part that I didn't make myself. Had the skill but not the proper tools in my stable to complete it. If you are going to tackle this as a project for yourself I have pretty much documented it in my travels over the years in here. As we know if I had to do it over again it would be much shorter of a process second time through. My goal is to take it to the completion of body work, ready for final body work and and painted. Additionally engine ready to install which is a Mercedes 606. This will be process will be by a good friend of 25 years and has been in the business of building Hot Rods for about 50 plus years and switched over to 4x4’s 10 years ago. He is 68 and I am 72 but are both young at heart and have many years left to wheel together before we start pushing up grass. Thank you again for enjoying my travels and I hope you have a great adventure in your process of building a modified 40 to a special 45 for yourself. Don’t hesitate to contact me for questions as I am willing to share my experience with you and others on MUD so your experience can be a good one.
Best Skip
Thanks Skip, I appreciate your willingness to share your experience with others. I'm sure I will have more questions for you in the future once I dive into this project, I'm just kind of in the research and planning stages right now. I have looked through all of your pictures in this build thread and they are very helpful. I have a 36" Baileigh beadroller, so I have the ability to work larger panels such as the back panel that you had made. I think I can make my own, although the depth of the inset of those squares probably wouldn't be as deep as yours, but it would still have the same affect visually and add some strength and make the panel more rigid. I could always add some supports to the inside like you are doing in your last few pictures above. Thanks again for your reply, and I look forward to seeing more of your progress!

Had this ol 45 bed basically parts only so I thought I would make a pull behind camp trailer with a car top tent like has been used. It will be a shortie somewhere around 65” to be determined later. Fenders are the only salvageable parts so here we go. I will add a pic of a Mud persons version of what I think min might look like.

Skip, let me know if you end up not using some bed hooks, I need some for dumpie( they were removed)

Skip, let me know if you end up not using some bed hooks, I need some for dumpie( they were removed)
How many do you need, Kevin’s are slightly different and I will be removing some of mine shortly after I get back from Idaho in December to put Kevin’s on to match, all are in good shape. Skip

Got the 84 Fj 60 column in today along with modifications to the collapsing parts to make it work. Was more involved to do than I thought the only part left is to machine is the extension of the lower shaft by 3.75” and I am closer to having it a steering vehicle.
F0A94C41-F93C-4477-9312-960C21F1B29B.jpeg

CFA4428D-8990-4AC4-AFC4-ACC78010AD3A.jpeg

Had a good day in the man cave just about finished the rear bumpers for the 35 as well as the 45 I am going through. In the rear of the pic behind I have a blacksmith stand going together for the vice I have plus not pictured I did some work on the rear of the inside of the cab for the 35. Tired but satisfying at the least.
587B0C73-E614-40D7-B131-90EE63BC5AF1.jpeg
A1B0262A-3941-4A2D-84F8-1C5A76FE91CA.jpeg

Great build Skip and I'm glad I checked in after all this time. Well done.

If you can located a 70 series intermediate steering shaft then they're the correct fit for a 40 series with 60 series power steering box. Just need to collapse it.

60 Steer Parts List 2.jpg

Nice!

Great build Skip and I'm glad I checked in after all this time. Well done.

If you can located a 70 series intermediate steering shaft then they're the correct fit for a 40 series with 60 series power steering box. Just need to collapse it.

View attachment 2161891
Wish I Would of known this before getting this much easier for sure, oh well win some and loose but it is done and works good. TNX for your input

Wish I Would of known this before getting this much easier for sure, oh well win some and loose but it is done and works good. TNX for your input
A welder and fabricator is never without options. I wish I had known you were looking for a Leg vise. I'm a full time blacksmith and I have about 4 sitting behind the shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom