Skinny Tires for 1970 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our FJ40 is mostly original. We did an OME 2" lift only because the back was sagging. The tires are too wide and too tall and without PS, hard to turn, stop, and won't fit into our garage.

I'm thinking 29"-30" high maximum and as skinny as possible. Family bought new and now we don't want to roll it doing off-roading but do enjoy the dirt roads in the area.

What can you suggest to accomplish the goal of drivability, steerability, and garagability?

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

Makes sense. Some of these trucks had 7.5” tire as I recall which makes steering easier.

I run BFG 30X9.50R15 ATs on my mostly original '76 FJ40. Right now it has the original springs, including at least one broken leaf, but I have a newly purchased OME suspension kit in the garage awaiting a break in the cold weather.

MERUS Hill Climb.jpg

9.5" wide tires used to be common for 15" rims, but not so much any more. A lot of folks here (myself included) are now running 33 x 10.5 x 15 tires on stock steel wheels; they're readily available. I don't have power steering, and I don't find this size difficult to drive, steer, or park in a garage, but YMMV.

I forgot to mention, my '76 has a mini-truck power steering gearbox and a Tercel pump with Cressida adjusting bracket. It helps, even with the skinnier tires, and it's pretty much all Toyota parts.

BTW, the Tercel pump is from an '84 Tercel 4WD wagon, mounted on the original smog pump bracket. I did the same modification on my '71 FJ40 over 20 years ago, based on information posted on the Pirate4X4 website.

Our FJ40 is mostly original. We did an OME 2" lift only because the back was sagging. The tires are too wide and too tall and without PS, hard to turn, stop, and won't fit into our garage.

I'm thinking 29"-30" high maximum and as skinny as possible. Family bought new and now we don't want to roll it doing off-roading but do enjoy the dirt roads in the area.

What can you suggest to accomplish the goal of drivability, steerability, and garagability?

View attachment 2877853

View attachment 2877855

View attachment 2877856

View attachment 2877857
Bezels upside down...

I have a 3 inch lift and run 33 x 10.5 15 on stock rims on my 79

suzysFJ40softtop 002.jpg

View attachment 2877853

View attachment 2877855

View attachment 2877856

View attachment 2877857
What a beautiful original 40!

Thank you, everything works and it runs just fine. I have a little rust and am trying to find a shop I can trust that can do this kind of repair.
It even has the original bench seats in back with the original 2nd heater. Very nice to drive and enjoy.

I guess mate your reems are 15 inch.
If so, have a look at Toyo USA, there are some nice 7.00x15 Radial tires, the venerable M93s (so difficult to find them in Europe).

Attachments

• M53 M93.pdf
    119.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I've got my eyes on these for my period correct resto. Power King Xtra Traction is a close second.
View attachment 2878413

Are those radials? I had a set of those in bias ply on my HJ45 when I got it. Looked really cool, but rolled like square bricks when they were cold

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom