Sitting 3 years, wont start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, finally got trans and the rest of the drive-train all back in. Just bought a new battery and put some fuel in the line (see-through filter about 6 inches till carb) and sprayed some started fluid into the carb.

Wont start. Battery has 875 amps but it still seems like it does not turn over very fast at all. Can't remember after these years how fast the starter should be turning it. Sounds like waaa waa waa waa.......waa waa waa waa.....etc. I know it is a long block and all but man it seems lathargic. Wish I could remember how it was when driven daily.

What now? A few times it seemed like it got a little spark but that was it. Now what? Plugs still look fine etc.

I assume if I kill this battery they will charge it back up for me for free at the auto parts store.....????

Any advice appreciated!

Last edited:
I assume if I kill this battery they will charge it back up for me for free at the auto parts store.....????

:lol:

That is a good one...

The only thing I would assume about the auto parts store is that they are going to laugh at you when you walk in saying you want your battery recharged, and then try and sell you a battery charger.

What is the condition of your battery cables?

What is the condition of the batter connections?

What is the condition of the battery cable connection at the starter motor solenoid?

What is the condition of the grounds?

Have you verified that you are getting spark to the plugs?

:meh:

Sounds like you need to try and jump start it, if it still does not start I would recheck and clean the plugs.

OK, looks like I jumped the gun a little. Fully inspected plugs etc and they need replaced. The only thing I am not sure of is inspecting/adjusting the distributor points. Will do a search.

how are your grounds hooked up did you hook up the one from the motor to the frame .if your battery is hooked to the starter and the frame your motor wont be grounded good because it sets in rubber good luck

I will have to check the grounds for sure. Just got new plugs in and confirmed the dist points are at correct measurments (Awesome to learn something new today!). Had to order cap, wires etc, should be in tom morning.

Spending the next 4 hours with my daughter then will check out the grounds, thanks for the tip!

are you sure you are getting fuel? you basically need 3 things air fuel and spark. it could be turning over hard due to the fact you aren't getting any fuel. and also did you put in fresh gas? after sitting for 3 years you are guaranteed that the fuel in it is dead.

OK, I just checked my grounds. The main negative goes to the engine block and is completely sheethed. It is pretty oily/caked greas around where it is ). I will assume that is not optimal so I just sprayed alot of de-dreaser at the connection. Also, a PO put a smaller line from the neg terminal to the inner fender to I assume supplement. The connection from the battery to the starter looks fine. Both battery/cable terminals are new and clean. Where is the negative from the engine to the frame supposed to be? What else am I missing?

Thanks!

Last edited:
are you sure you are getting fuel? you basically need 3 things air fuel and spark. it could be turning over hard due to the fact you aren't getting any fuel. and also did you put in fresh gas? after sitting for 3 years you are guaranteed that the fuel in it is dead.

Yep, feeding fresh fuel into the line about a foot away from the carb (where I installed a second filter).

OK, I just checked my grounds. The main negative goes to the engine block and is completely sheethed. It is pretty oily/caked greas around where it is ). I will assume that is not optimal so I just sprayed alot of de-dreaser at the connection. Also, a PO put a smaller line from the neg terminal to the inner fender to I assume supplement. The connection from the battery to the starter looks fine. Both battery/cable terminals are new and clean. Where is the negative from the engine to the frame supposed to be? What else am I missing?

Thanks!

My frame ground goes from the clutch slave to the frame. ('75 FJ40)

My earlier trucks also have a grounding cable from the block to the frame, but the negative lead from the battery goes to the frame in front of the battery, not to the engine block.

Check for a strong spark. Pull off a plug wire and put a spare plug into it, connect its housing to ground with a jumper cable, and crank it over. If you have a hot white spark then you need to look at fuel and air, if not you need to figure out why not.

Your carb may be all gummed up. Although you should have something happening if you used starter fluid.

try dumping a little fresh gas down the carb. a little meaning 2-3 table spoons.

My 74 has a ground wire from the starter mounting bolt to the frame and then one from the neg terminal to the frame in front of the battery tray.

I guess I'm not the only one with this problem. I did a quick assembly on my 40 and forgot to ground the block to battery !.
Problem solved after melting one white wire from the alternator.
Here's a pic of rig.

Last edited:
Thanks,
Radiator is from Man a Fre. I got it in used condition

Anyone willing to post a picture of their ground connections (alternator setup and anything to the frame)??? Would be much appreciated! I can't find anything that looks to have been there in the past. Something definilty seems odd with how my rig is set-up. Though nothing has really changed since I daily drove it 3 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom