Sitting 3 years, wont start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is a picture of my starter set up. As you can see, there is one line that is not wired up to anything (white line).
Starter.jpg

schematic

sorry I couldnt make out the color codes but this shows the circuit

schematic from coolerman's site

:bang: cant make the pic bigger but Blue line is to ammeter
Yellow to ign st
and red from battery to starter

if it is turning over slowly and you got some spark I would say wiring is prob ok----can you try a batt from your DD? If it still turns over slowly with a good battery, check your grounds and connections and clean em up then check your timing is not way out
69start.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like I should make some new grounds, one from the battery to the frame and one from the starter to the frame. Where do you suggest I get the correct gauge ground from? Should I also just keep the one going from the battery to the engine as well?

Go to your local auto store, they will have pre-terminated large gauge ground cables in different lengths. Get the shortest cables that will do the job but allow for slight motor movement.

If your existing battery to block ground will reach the frame, then just move it to the frame and get another cable to go from the starter mounting bolt to the frame.

Go to your local auto store, they will have pre-terminated large gauge ground cables in different lengths. Get the shortest cables that will do the job but allow for slight motor movement.

If your existing battery to block ground will reach the frame, then just move it to the frame and get another cable to go from the starter mounting bolt to the frame.

Should the engine block not be grounded directly as well?

It will be, by the cable from the frame to the starter bolt. The starter bolts to the bell housing which bolts to the block. Unless your bell housing is not electrically connected to the block there is no reason to run a separate block ground. Just for peace of mind do it anyway... It sure won't hurt anything. :)

Ahh, true the starter would ground the block, thanks.

Just got home and measured the cables I need. Easy acces bolts alread there. This should be simple! I think I will keep the line to the block as well since it will just be easier.

Last edited:
OK, I checked for spark last night. It did spark, but barely. It was extremely weak.

So far I have done:
Cleaned postive connection
Made new grounds (battery to frame, frame to starter)
Replaced, Plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

What now? Condenser and Coil?

Also, unfortunatly, the new grounds made little to no difference on the starter. Wondering if it is turning it as fast as that long block is supposed to go.

starter?

If I were you I'd do a starter voltage drop check
per the links, then I'd check the timing cause it is free to do, then I would replace the starter.

I think you are getting weak spark cause the starter is pulling it all away from the ignition

Starter Voltage Drop Test
Voltage Drop Testing

DenverCruiser, Go over to Harbor Freight on 4290 Bells Ferry, get a volt meter for around $ 10, good luck.

2-200

I have a $2 one for kicking around the cruiser and a $200 one for when I get serious;)

you can get them at ACE Hardware or most autoparts or any big chain store tool dept also

Sure enough, my friend and I were able to do some tests with a multimeter I got and it looks like the starter is robbing all the juice. Thanks for the links. Now time to go purchase a new starter.

fxxxing ground everything man, 90% of problems are bad grounds. BUT.... i used to have a 40 with the 2f engind and it sat for a year, the only thing i had to do is clean out and sand the distributor cap and scrape the gunk off the rotor. but if your not cheap like me, you should just go get and new cap'n rotor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom