Side panel posts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am reassembling the top for the winter and realized the posts on the side panels are long AF. Anyone ever cut down those post slightly? Not completely off, but shorten them to be about 2" to 3"? What would be the cons of trimming them?

They also go down thru a second hole further down. It's the two posts and the bolt between the two that helps support the top on the tub. If you cut the post and it's still long enough for the bolt to tighten up against it would be possible to bend the post. When I installed or remove a top by myself I disassembled the top. By themselves the posts are not to hard to line up and slide down thru the lower hole. A lot easier then two people trying to do it with an assembled top.

The second hole the post travels through is fashioned of very this sheet metal and is often mangled from people not lining them up and the pounding them through that second spot. This can make them very hard to remove or install.

Think what complicates the problem is people set the top down on the posts and just bending a little will make it very hard to get the bottom hole lined up. Trying to line up both sides at the same time is even more difficult.

Previous owner cut the posts on mine.
AND, had the whole thing held down with 4x pickup canopy clamps.
Nothing holding the windshield to the top directly...

Somehow, it never blew off. (rain did come in between the windshield and the top)

(rain did come in between the windshield and the top)

In the six years the first owner of my 68 he must have had the top off and did not install the weatherstripping across the top of the windshield. Even with four screws holding it tight had small snowflakes that were like ice make their way thru and hit me in the face. Bought another 40 a PO use chalking to seal up the top. This was without removing the top just along the lip.

I cut mine off no issues but after awhile I wished I hadn’t because all the slamming of the drivers door my body started to crack rot and was real flimsy and flexy. I fixed the poles back to the hardtop and it stiffened up the side of the cruiser again. But who knows my cruiser was pretty rotten back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom