Shriek at higher rpms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Occasionally, but not always, when I start from a stopped position when I hit high enough RPMS before shifting from first to second I will hear a shriek, sometimes it will happen again when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I looked it up before posting this and most consensus on a similar occurrence (but under a load, like towing I assume) was that it was a belt. The problem that I'm having doesn't sound like a belt though and mine seem to be in good condition, so I was wondering if it could possibly be a bearing going out somewhere (or screaming for grease) or possibly something like sincros spinning too fast. Could I possibly be revving too high before shifting? I doesn't happen every time, maybe once a week or so.

A second question is when it gets cold out (30's and lower) a buzzing sound will develop in my steering column, If I keep strait its not noticeable, but when I turn its very noticeable. It seems to become less and less the longer I let it warm up, but sometimes it sticks around... is this something that I should be concerned about like maybe the power steering pump? I know when it gets below zero, if I don't warm it up for at least 10 mins the steering is tougher to turn.

Any help on these matters would be appreciated

I had a belt shriek issue too when I still had the 2F. It was slipping on the fan pulley at higher RPM (well, high for a 2F anyway.) I removed it and used an angle grinder with a sanding disk to break the glaze. That combined with a new belt and the noise went away. As far as the steering pump goes, like most other FJ60 pumps, it is probably just a shade this side of decomposing. Rebuilt units do not work. New or Saginaw conversion are the only viable options.

ahh, thanks for the input. I do have the 2f engine in the 87 fj60, so I'll check my belts again... the reason I ruled them out is my engine compartment is very clean and the belts looked basically brand new last I checked, but the previous owner (bought it little over a year ago) drove it very little and kept it garaged, so a lot of the stuff that looks new I'm finding is 10 years old. I'll look into the pump as well, today i noticed that the buzzing is present when going straight until I get about a mile (maybe till it warms up good) its in the mid 40's-50's temperature wise outside now, I hope I don't need a new pump.

My guess would be that what your noticing from the steering would be the fluid being thicker at colder temps. I wouldent worry about it too much.

While I am not a trained mech, in my shade-tree experience, shreiking at higher rpm has always been a belt related issue. Two easy ways to test this...

1. Spray belt dressing on the belts. If the noise goes away, it's the belts.
2. Tighten the belts. If the noise goes away...

There is a factory spec for belt tigthness. Best advice on mud though is to have them tight enough so they don't squeel, but no tighter. Some of the bearings are quite prone to wear with too much belt tension.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll get to those belts this weekend :)

Drain and re-fill the power steering with new ATF. You will have to do this a couple of times if you don't have the ability to flush it. You can also switch it over to synthetic oil that is better when cold.

Is the wife/GF sitting in the passenger seat ?

Mine was the idler bearing for the ac belt. Simple fix, just remove the belt since the ac was not working:)

Heh, there hasn't been any shrieking from inside the cab since I did a 180 on interstate at 55mph and flew into 3 feet of snow in the median last year february :eek: (gotta say, it crawled right out of it like a goddamned champ once I put it in 4 low)

I was getting ready to do a front axle service (leaking oil out the hub) but if It could be as serious as a motor mount or pulley going maybe I'll have to focus on that instead.

Thanks again for the input :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom