At long last - new to me HJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Long time user of the wealth of information available on this site with the various cruisers owned over the years! Anyway I have finally got my hands on this 1988 HJ60 5 speed manual, my dream Landcruiser that has the low roof and GX model (preferred interior over the VX model) with a 2H engine. Long story short the previous owner had it for about 25 years and somewhat kept on top of the rust situation. My main goal at present is to stop rust spreading and get it looking 90%. Mechanically everything runs well but overall it just needs some TLC. Interior is in great condition with only one minor hole in the drivers seat.

Things done to date (Baseline):
- Removed gutter caulk, treated rust in gutters, primed and re-sealed with Sika 227 seam sealer.
- Replaced rims with 40 series 16" steelies and 235 tires.
- Full bodywork + respray currently underway.
- New OEM front chrome bumper on the way.

Future Dream$:
- Full off frame restoration when $$ allow.
- 1HDT/FT/FTE swap when $$ allow.

IMG_6099.jpg

IMG_6098.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all. Long time user of the wealth of information available on this site with the various cruisers owned over the years! Anyway I have finally got my hands on this 1988 HJ60 5 speed manual, my dream Landcruiser that has the low roof and GX model (preferred interior over the VX model) with a 2H engine. Long story short the previous owner had it for about 25 years and somewhat kept on top of the rust situation. My main goal at present is to stop rust spreading and get it looking 90%. Mechanically everything runs well but overall it just needs some TLC. Interior is in great condition with only one minor hole in the drivers seat.

Things done to date:
- Removed gutter caulk, treated rust in gutters, primed and re-sealed with Sika 227 seam sealer. Then had bonnet, roof + gutters, front fenders painted factory color.
- Replaced rims with 40 series 16" steelies and 235 tires.
- Treat any surface rust on the frame.
- Replaced both front seat belts.
- Replaced both rear head rests.
- Remaining bodywork + paint currently underway.
- New OEM front chrome bumper on the way.
- Old school black and white number plates on the way.

Future Dream$:
- Full off frame restoration when $$ allow.
- 1HDT/FT/FTE swap when $$ allow.

View attachment 3533740
View attachment 3533739
Lucky. My wife's a Kiwi and I have residency and we might eventually relocate down there. I've been there many times and always kept my eye out for various FJs. Have fun.

Hi there, just saw this post by randomly searching for post which included "Kiwi".

Where are you located ? - sounds we could well enjoy a beer while chatting and checking out our cruisers. Maybe somewhere off the beaten track ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom