Should I trade my 2008 LC200 for a restored FJ62 as a DD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This should be an interesting thread. In short, I am considering the purchase of a FJ62 as a replacement to my ’08 LC200 (150K miles, stock except for Ironman Foamcell Pro 2” lift kit). Why? I just love the FJ62 looks and nostalgic feel. I also believe the 62 is a great ‘platform’ that can be modified and updated with new drivetrain components, tech, etc. Finally, I believe the market price for this wagon is going to go up and UP!

I know I will lose the full-time 4WD of the LC200 but I live in TX and don’t have a lot of need for it on a daily basis.

So, am I nuts for considering this possible switch? Does anyone have experience with both models. If so, what is your impression?

Thanks in advance for the feedback and thoughts.

I think the 60-series guys have already given you the correct answer: no.

The novelty will wear off in a month, and you'll be stuck with a WAY worse daily driver. A 60 can be a fine trail rig, but using one for daily driving in 2021 must require a level of self-hate that I cannot fathom.

I loved my FJ-62. Nothing will ever replace it. But they are a lot of work to even make reasonable by even 15 year old standards. I built a 2FE with internal mods. I hotrod'd the f out of the A440F (full rebuild, custom torque converter for the 2FE's warmer cam, 3 different valve bodies) and then eventually swapped for an H55F. I tuned the suspension like crazy to get a ride that didn't drive my wife crazy. I built an onboard indash PC that outperformed my 200's nav, music, etc. I routinely drove it all day long up and down I5 and into the PNW and Tahoe area mountains.

The problem that I had in replacing it, and I looked hard for a clean body to drop a 6.2 EROD into, is that they are crazy expensive in moderately good shape and/or have been repainted so that it is hard to tell what you are getting (I went over one with a magnet and guess how much bondo I found). Having cut the rust out of mine using CCoT patch panels I don't really want to get into that again as a daily. Or even just in general do all of the mods that I would want to do.

Keep your 200. Buy the 60 as a project. You'll be happier with "twins". This is my plan, and yes, I do continue to look for that perfect FJ-62 (I like the dashes better).

FJ62 As a DD? Yup, you’re nuts. Get that wonderful old FJ62 for fun, but IMHO, for sure keep the 200 as a DD. Too many incompetent and distracted drivers out there; the life-saving features alone make the 200 an easy call.

My 40 was my DD for two years. I drove it until I could add my 200. When I say it was my DD that meant we had taco for family road trips, and I borrowed/rented a car for when we went had to go out of town to different locations, and I relied on friends driving for adventures that were a longer drive to get to. It’s doable, but there are sacrifices. I am so much happier having the 200 and the 40 as a project vehicle now though.

My FJ62 was my DD until 2 months ago and I have had it since new. I love it and will never sell it but no do not swap. Keep your 200 and get a FJ60 unless the FJ62 in question already has a H55F installed. That is the single most important mod for a 62. In fact I would have dumped my 62 15 years ago if I had not swapped in the H55F when the second H440 died. I love driving the 62 still. It's loud (unfortunately) but damn fast for a tractor. I have a Harrop supercharger on order for my 200 but I'm going to keep the stock exhaust to keep it quiet but fast.

One of each is the way to go. I daily my 62 around town, but the 200 is there for long trips.

The 62 is slower, louder, less efficient, less safe, and at this age, less reliable. Still my favorite!

Will anyone you care about ever ride in it? If so, there is no debate.

Appreciate all the feedback. Thanks for talking me off a ledge. Will keep the 200 and find a project car. Y’all take good care!

Will anyone you care about ever ride in it? If so, there is no debate.
I agree and it’s my justification for buying a newer larger body on frame LC that gets 15 MPG.. however there are of course a lot of risks we take every day and don’t understand how to calculate them. Ie sugar consumption, sitting at a desk, drinking, wearing Or not wearing a mask. if it makes you happy and understand there are some risks.. go for it. You live once. Get a 60 and if you dont like it get rid of it.

My FJ62 was my DD until 2 months ago and I have had it since new. I love it and will never sell it but no do not swap. Keep your 200 and get a FJ60 unless the FJ62 in question already has a H55F installed. That is the single most important mod for a 62. In fact I would have dumped my 62 15 years ago if I had not swapped in the H55F when the second H440 died. I love driving the 62 still. It's loud (unfortunately) but damn fast for a tractor. I have a Harrop supercharger on order for my 200 but I'm going to keep the stock exhaust to keep it quiet but fast.
Keep me posted on that Harrop SC.

I agree and it’s my justification for buying a newer larger body on frame LC that gets 15 MPG.. however there are of course a lot of risks we take every day and don’t understand how to calculate them. Ie sugar consumption, sitting at a desk, drinking, wearing Or not wearing a mask. if it makes you happy and understand there are some risks.. go for it. You live once. Get a 60 and if you dont like it get rid of it.
That's why I said anyone you care about. The risks I take for myself are one thing.. I have a very high risk job. However what I do with family and friends when I am responsible for their safety is a whole different ball of wax.

Objectively the safety difference between the 62 and 200 series is enormous, both in the event of a collision and avoiding one in the first place.

This played a large part in my recommendation to a friend (with wife and two kids) to get a 100 over a 60 then 80. It made such an impression he sold the 100 for a profit and is now looking at 200s.

Edit: not to tell people how to handle their families. Just how I view an important difference between these two vehicles for DD duty. One is cool. The other is slightly less cool and way, way more safe.

Last edited:
Thoughts after owning a FJ62 for 18 years => twas the wife's DD all that time. No major repairs (other than water pump, after it was parked for > 6 months):
the master window/door lock switch will likely fail. IDK about a new one. Any respectable salvage yard knows the value of every part. Never saw a Mud HowTo on disassembly (oh Jesus parts inside); cleaning of contacts; reassembly.

Rust. Our local street dept. started "pre-treating" => rapidly accelerating rust. Rear frame rails were looking dangerous. I bought a rust-free Colorado FJ62 w/ARB bull bar, to replace her. But @ 165K miles, was reluctant to take on long trips w/out 2"-thick folder of repair records, like on our original.

Safety? Well, we got a 2019 LC over a used < 2016 w/out safety features, for that reason alone.

It's a small club. 4Wheeler reviewed the FJ62 in a SUV shootout. Claimed it was the SUV Pres. Ronald Reagan would drive on the ranch.

Should you take the plunge, I have NIB receiver hitch, Milford Cargo barrier, + misc. parts & that issue of 4Wheeler in basement!

Sorry in advance for my ignorance. Aren’t there rules that would classify fj62 as a classic vehicle that will only allow for weekend drive? Or, with modifications to current standards one can then skirt that rule if it’s there in the first place?

Like the others have already said, don't do it. Make it a weekend wheeler or project vehicle but by no means a replacement for the 200 as a daily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom