should i sell? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
Dad and I were discussing a car for college when selling the 60 came up. That truck is my baby and I honestly don't see me driving anything else. It's my first car and i've put almost all the money i've ever made into it. Dad got a For Sale sign today and i want to just throw it away. I know some of you guys have made this decision before. Should I sell it and get a practical fuel efficient car for going to college, or should i tough it out carless first semester then make the 2 hour drive back and forth when needed.

Do what I did: take it to college and get a job to support the cruise addiction!!

Thinking back, I think I could seriously be a different person if I would have sold my 60 and got a civic/celica/accord/insert any other generic car...

you do know, that no proper cruiser addict will tell you to sell your cruiser.

But it does sound like your dad has made up your mind for you too.

I guess the bottom line is... can you afford it? Can you find a way to afford it?
If not post in the for sale section on here too.

Good Luck.

I came here hoping you guys could talk me out of it. But, if it comes down to it, i'd rather sell it to one of you guys, someone i know will take great care of it.

Don't sell it, you will regret it!!! If all you have to do is put a couple of extra hours in at a job then what the hell, do it. My dad has been telling me to sell my cruiser since day 1, he has even offered to buy me a new fjcruiser (gay) or any other car. But i said no!!! I love my cruiser, there just aint nothing else like it.

Why do you even need a car at college? leave it home until you can afford to drive it.

I would not advise my son to have a fj anything for his only transportation if he was (is) a broke student and was in no need of a car for 4 years anyway...

keep her ,dont put your money into another pos.if you must sell it. get a mini that way at least you could still wheel and get good mpg

tell your dad you see his point then take him down to the nearest ferrari dealership to pick out your next car. let it be known that he will be paying for it since hes so eager to see you move up/on in life.

then when you get home hand him the for sale sign to put on your car. bet thats the last youll hear of *that* idea.

one love
jah bill

You know you want to keep it right!

Do you think you could sit down with your dad and try and figure a way how to manage a budget to keep your cruiser.
Chop some firewood or do some errands for money, something to keep ya in shape when your on a college diet as well!

I will say this-Your whole future is riding on your next 4 years. Do what ever it takes to get a good education. Cruisers, like all metal things, come and go. You sell this one, there will be another later. If you can go to school and keep it, great. But don't sweat it. Just remember the real prize is what you will learn.

Just my opinion, but a Cruiser is a terrible college car. You need reliable and economical transport. That's all. You don't need a time sinking hobby when you are trying to discover the rest of your life. See if your dad will buy you a 5 year old Corolla. It may be dull, but it's a nearly perfect car for college.

It's probably all changed since the Dark Ages when I went away carless, but talk to friends that have cars on the same campus about their experiences.

Parking is a PITA. You'll suddenly have "friends" that need a ride or want to borrow yours. You'll want to come home every weekend instead of staying with the inmates & really fitting in. And working on the Cruiser instead of your courses is a real mistake.

Find out what Pa is concerned about. Maybe it's your safety or the time you might spend on the 60.

Another thing to look at is where are you going to school? If there are zero trails within a certain distance, maybe having the Cruiser isn't worth it (did I just say that?). I went to college in UT, so there was nothing that would separate me from the Cruiser. Driving from D.C. to UT twice a year sucked, but it didn't make sense to leave a Land Cruiser at home with Moab and countless other trails so close by. I mean, that would be like going to a crack house without taking your pipe!

Side note........a Cruiser just gives you more confidence. Can you imagine picking up a smokin' hot date in your tan Volvo 240??? (Volvo 240 owners disregard last statement)

OK OK I hear your cry for help. I will come to your rescue. I will trade you my 73 VW super Beetle for your 60. Great Mileage cheap parts ultra reliable, not to mention the retro hip factor, the perfect car for school. Just tell me where to meet and we can swap pink slips.

Dynosoar :zilla:

Keep it! You can carpool w/six others to go anywhere you need. Any vehicle is going to be expensive unless it's a newer one and you'll have the best one for those special outings - which you can collect # from the others goung along. College requires some discipline and you can convince your dad that the more expensive one (gas) will keep you on campus studying.

How can anyone say sell the 60 when going to college? Did we all forget that the rear seat folds down, and the space that is left equals a full size bed!! Think of all the fun that can be had with the seats down in the back of a 60!

Zack

You know you want to keep it right!

Do you think you could sit down with your dad and try and figure a way how to manage a budget to keep your cruiser.
Chop some firewood or do some errands for money, something to keep ya in shape when your on a college diet as well!

x2, & buy a bike for college errands, and a backpack. when you graduate college, you'll want a cruiser so might as well keep it.

Depends on the school

I would not take a cruiser to OSU I too many fools around. Every vehicle I owned was stolen or broken into. I ended up with a POS Bronco after my 2nd truck was stolen.

Keep it...Get a bicycle too.
Drive it once a week and use the bike the other 6 days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom