should i sell? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would not take a cruiser to OSU I too many fools around. Every vehicle I owned was stolen or broken into. I ended up with a POS Bronco after my 2nd truck was stolen.

good point, 60k drunk students all living in the ghetto of Columbus, OH is not a good combination.

I'm also am curious about where you are going to school. At clemson, my 60 has been my college car and it has been awesome despite not having a/c, and not being able to properly lock the vehicle.....

It depends on where you go and what you like to do. If you like to camp, backpack, wheel, fish, and do just about anything outdoors as i do, and have access to all that, the cruiser is pefect. But if you are going to a more urban campus, i'd say leave it at home, DON'T sell it, but buy a $1000 honda or toyota car to drive everyday as recommened above. These can be awesome college cars, as long at they they fit the bill.

I guess you are going to clemson? I didnt have a car my sophomore year when I lived on campus at GT. It was no big deal at all but that was in downtown Atlanta. I had friends who didn't have cars at UGA and they were fine even though it was an open campus in Athens, GA. You'll save a lot of gas money by walking and leaving the 60 at home. Do you know other people in town that are going to the same college? You could just give them some gas money and tag along when you wanna go home and back.

Get a bicycle with a good lock though. It'll save your ass when you wake up late for class. :)

Put a pencil to the total cost of the transportation. Yes, mileage sucks, but are you going to use it that much? Tax and Insurance should be low on your cruiser, and if you KNOW it is in good mechanical shape, you should be able to predict a low future maintenance cost, particularly if you know how to work on it yourself. If my math is correct, the difference between 10000 miles in a 30mpg rice rocket and a 15 mpg cruiser is $1000 with $3 gal gas. Is that cost offset by other attributes? I would bet that whatever you replaced it with is going to cost something (another words, your trade, in my opinion, "down" from a cruiser is not going to be a washout unless you are buying a POS which gets back to the possibility of future mechanical cost. Generally, the best way to get economic benefits out of any old vehicle is to keep driving it. If you have huge mechanical issues that keep must be dealt with, then it is decision time.

I am going to clemson. It's about a 100 miles away. My only thing is I'm not sure if the cruiser could make it up there and back. I've never taken it that far. I think if I keep it, it will stay home first semester and dad will finish the tail end of it. It was our project car, we started a few years ago. I can't picture myself driving anything else.

I will say this-Your whole future is riding on your next 4 years. Do what ever it takes to get a good education. Cruisers, like all metal things, come and go. You sell this one, there will be another later. If you can go to school and keep it, great. But don't sweat it. Just remember the real prize is what you will learn.

x2

Whatever you decide, just make sure you base the decision on good priorities. We all love these cars, but it is just that - a car.

I know, I know, sacrilege!

Park it at pops house and get a 1k saturn... I totalled my frst car and have been looking for another one ever sense.

Take it to school....and buy a nice bike to ride around campus.

Well, for what it's worth, there is some great advice here and it is a tough call. Education is paramount but there will always be "that one" vehicle in your life that you will at some point regret having sold.

My 2¢ would hinge on the quality of your '60 and the degree of your Cruiser madness. If your rig is completely rust free, body damage free, and of low mileage then I'd consider hanging onto it.

If you won't be able to take advantage of your Cruiser's off-road capabilties while in school, store it for the duration of your education (save vacation trips), start a Cruiser resto-mod fund for the future, and take the good advice already given to find a cheaper mode of transport. Gas alone will kill you on a student's budget.

My regret? Having sold my cherry '75 FJ-40 that needed some t-case love a month before kicking off my freshman year in Colorado of all places! :doh:
Although it was quickly replaced with a brand new 4Runner (read parental concern similar to yours), I to this day, miss that rig.

Prioritize your education, consider your circumstance, weigh your future options, then pull the trigger and never look back. Who knows, by the time you graduate, there may be that "next best thing" that you just can't live without. ;)

Best of luck,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

If it is in such a state of repair that you don't think it will go 100 miles...then it's really not a college car but a project car...I'm with the earlier post...let dad decide if he wants to fool with it..there will be other fj60s and it sounds like most of them may be better than the one you now have...

Or park it for later sounds like it wouldn't bring much $$ anyway..I'm all for not selling Cruisers, but there is a deminishing return for all of us...and if you are a student with no income...just sounds like it's time to park it..or sell it.

And I'm not coming down on the young man's rig...HE SAID he didn't have confidence it would go 100 miles.

Are you kidding??

The "Boozer Croozer" will get you more friends than any other vehicle out there!

I wish I had a 60 when I was in college...Imagine how many friends you could fit in that thing!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom