Should I bother? Expedition trailer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Posting this as I have been waffling about whether I should bother to put an effort into this as a "expedition" build:

IMG_1640.JPG
IMG_1643.JPG

It is a circa 1950 Willys truck bed with a funky 1960s camper shell. It's a little rougher in person than the pics show. It has a few rust holes on the floor.

My plans are to install a drawer with cooking/storage, a sleeping platform, and a rack on the front tongue to carry a small motorcycle like a TW200. Maybe a awning that rolls up. Basically keep it simple and cheap.

Should I bother? Is it too ghetto?

Thanks, Daner

Last edited:
put some lifting struts and some tent sides on it and call it a day! With the tailgate down, and the hatch up, looks like enough room to sleep, no?
give it a nice frame and suspension and paint it to match the 40.

Thanks, feeling inspired with the ideas and feedback. Since I know nothing about building an "expedition" style camper, looks like I need to do some surfing to educate myself....stay tuned

That will be a cool build! What is the tank on the starboard side? Gas? Water?

Cool!

Any idea’s for that fuel tank? Perhaps turn it into a mini Traegar smoker:cheers:

Will the roof hold much weight? If so, I’m thinking build a roof storage rack with tall rails. Make it so you can also sleep up top if you have kids. Build stake pockets into the rack. Fab up a simple collapseable ridge pole system that uses stake pockets. You could throw a tarp over in wet weather.

Do you have a welder?

Good ideas-keep them coming! The fuel tank on the side holds about 15 gallons-and as I run diesel should give me at least 700 miles of range. I like the idea of sleeping on top too. My wife and I don't mind sleeping outdoors, we just hate being on the ground with creepy-crawly things. I would need to reinforce the roof and install a ladder, though.

If it's not rusted, that can be made to be very useful and cool. You have the base, the rest is up to your imagination.

20171231_152327.jpg
20171229_124758.jpg

Front rack check... I don't see it as getto as long as you don't cut corners to make it getto. I would have kept the old school camper like ypur but needed the versatility of 3 bikes. Drz 400 across the front of the trailer in this pic just before 900 miles. To start COBDR
20170728_205024.jpg

Do it man. Different, built to your needs and not store bought is where it's at. We drive Cruisers to be different from "those other guys".

20170203_144759.jpg

Thanks again for the encouragement.

I played around with the sleeping platform and replaced the failing 1960s faux birch paneling with a fiberglass material that will be a bit more moisture and bug resistant:

The last pic shows the funky jalousie windows, which still work smoothly. I do have concerns about this thing being an oven in the summer.

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1681.JPG

View attachment 1605252

Does it look like the camper shell is able to survive extensive washboard?

I think so. The P.O. Welded a subframe under the camper shell out of angle iron. The weakest part is that lift door, which I think will need some help-or if I get ambitious I may fabricate some ambulance doors.

hey daner, have you given thought to insulating that shell with either a rigid foam product or urethane foam. a good guy on the gun should be able apply 1" without too much ado. i personally would do the urethane, but not until all seams n joints were resealed, any loose fasteners replaced, yeah pretty much rebuilt structurally

. I do have concerns about this thing being an oven in the summer.

I would get one of those camper vents for the roof. that would get the heat out of the camper. If you can wire a 12V fan (or make it solar powered) to pull the air out of the camper.

After seeing the inside of that, there is no way I would not make it a Expo trailer.

Apologies for not getting back sooner-
I did stuff some insulation in the front, everything else was insulated. Not thick insulation, but hopefully better than nothing.

It does have a roof vent. I plan to install a fan in it and install a solar panel on the roof. More research needed-but this is kind of fun!

It has taken 16 years to get mine where it all works for me. More practical, useful and unique is the direction, keep going man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom